LEAF L2 @ 208VAC - How nuch current?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
tps said:
How much AC current does the LEAF draw when charging from a 208VAC source?

2.5kW nominal.
2500 / 208 = 12.02

Is your EVSE limiting the current to 12A? Figuring in a few hundred watts to account for the efficiency of the onboard charger, I'd expect the LEAF to draw ~3.6kW during L2 charging, which would be a bit more than 17A, if assuming the EVSE was not limiting the current to a lower value.

3600 / 208 = 17.31

Is there a way we can find out for sure what the LEAF draws at 208 if the EVSE does not limit is to a lower value? I don't suppose you'd be interested in pulling your AV off the wall in your garage and trying it connected to 208V on the shop floor, would you mwalsh? In the interest of science, of course...

tps said:
mwalsh said:
tps said:
How much AC current does the LEAF draw when charging from a 208VAC source?

2.5kW nominal.
2500 / 208 = 12.02

Is your EVSE limiting the current to 12A? Figuring in a few hundred watts to account for the efficiency of the onboard charger, I'd expect the LEAF to draw ~3.6kW during L2 charging, which would be a bit more than 17A, if assuming the EVSE was not limiting the current to a lower value.

Sorry, you're right.....that figure was with the R1 modded portable EVSE. Which of course was 12A.

Ingineer may be the only guy around here who could answer that question. All of our portable EVSEs are limited to 12a or 16a, and the non-portable ones are either home units on 240v, or commercial installations where we can't easily do measurements. Anybody want to drag their Blink to work? ;)

Do the ChargePoints display the charge rate and/or the voltage?

It depends on the EVSE of course and at what stage of the charge, etc. During full charge it is approx 12A on the unmodified LEAF EVSE and 16A on Blink, AV, etc. If it is a modified EVSE from EVSE Upgrade it is 12/16A for rev 1/2 mods respectively. The most accurate way to measure a specific load is with a clamp meter on the AC line.

davewill said:
Coulumb ChargePoints (at least the one at the Seward Park Coop) display power in kW. No voltage display that I remember, although NYC is notorious for 208V service.

tps said:
davewill said:

Charge rate, yes, and I've personally pulled 3.732kW from a unit with my LEAF. But I have seen others pull slightly less, and am not sure why the differential. It could be a slower rate of charge being requested by the car or less output from that particular EVSE.

mwalsh said:
I've personally pulled 3.732kW from a unit with my LEAF.
I seem to remember 3.7??kW when I plugged the rental LEAF into the Seward Park ChargePoint. I'll try to remember to watch carefully next time I'm there.

tps said:
mwalsh said:
I've personally pulled 3.732kW from a unit with my LEAF.
I seem to remember 3.7??kW when I plugged the rental LEAF into the Seward Park ChargePoint. I'll try to remember to watch carefully next time I'm there.

This is an example of what I have seen:
attachment.php

The number bounces around a bit, but close to that.

No, I don't know if it was 240V or 208V. I was just showing what the ChargePoint can display.
It was at a public / city parking garage, so it might have been 208V.
I wish the ChargePoint or the car would show the voltage.

Folks, if the charger is supplied between 100-260 volts it can do so at 12A if that is what it is told is available. The total wattage is the supplied voltage times the current. 12A @ 208 is 2.496KW and 12A at 240V is 2.88kw. The current is fixed. A LEAF connected to the Nissan EVSE with a Rev 1 Mod pulls 12A at 208 or 240V, it does not matter, with Rev2 it will pull 16A respectively. A LEAF on a Chargepoint, AV, CC, Blink EVSE will pull 16A based on the fixed pilot signal of the EVSE, at 208, 209, 210 or 240V, etc. The EVSE pilot signal tells the car the current capability of 12A or 16A and it charges at that current at the voltage supplied and the respective wattage. The current (amps) is not dictated by the voltage but the pilot signal setting and the draw of the charger which will not exceed that determined signal value.

EVDRIVER said:
Folks, if the charger pulls between 100-260 volts it can do so at 12A if that is what it is told is available. The total wattage is the supplied voltage times the current. 12A @ 208 is 2.496KW and 12A at 240V is 2.88kw. The current is fixed. A LEAF connected to the Nissan EVSE with a Rev 1 Mod pulls 12A at 208 or 240V, it does not matter, with Rev2 it will pull 16A respectively. A LEAF on a Chargepoint, AV, CC, Blink EVSE will pull 12-16A based on the fixed pilot signal of the EVSE, at 208, 209, 210 or 240V, etc. The EVSE pilot signal tells the car the current capability of 12A or 16A and it charges at that current at the voltage supplied and the respective wattage.

What will it pull if 30 amps is offered at 208? I think we know it will not pull more than the max offered.

Depends on the charger parameters. The LEAF would draw 16A @ 208, that is limited as a MAX in the charger profile. The LEAF will not pull over 12A at 120V, even if given a 16A signal. The charger is set up for standard circuit parameters. One reason you can't just swap the LEAF charger to 6.6kw is that the internal wiring from the front to the charger and the charger to the pack will not handle the additional current.

EVDRIVER said:
A LEAF on a Chargepoint, AV, CC, Blink EVSE will pull 16A based on the fixed pilot signal of the EVSE, at 208, 209, 210 or 240V, etc
What will the LEAF pull at 208 volts if the pilot signal says "30A", such as a Chargepoint or AV. Timehorse's CC pilot will tell his LEAF (when he finally gets it) "70A".

Phil has stated that the LEAF pulls 12A at 120V, even when his R2 unit says 16A, so the LEAF itself limits the charging current to a lower value when charging L1. What I want to know is whether the LEAF will pull more current at 208 volts than at 240 volts, if not otherwise limited by the pilot, so that it charges at 3.3kW. Allowing for losses in the charger, it should pull a bit more than 3700 watts.

3700 / 240 = 15.42
3700 / 208 = 17.79

EVDRIVER said:
Depends on the charger parameters. The LEAF would draw 16A @ 208, that is limited as a MAX in the charger profile.

Where is this stated? Or have you measured it? Those poor Japanese, all they get is 200V (nominal).

tps said:
EVDRIVER said:
A LEAF on a Chargepoint, AV, CC, Blink EVSE will pull 16A based on the fixed pilot signal of the EVSE, at 208, 209, 210 or 240V, etc
What will the LEAF pull at 208 volts if the pilot signal says "30A", such as a Chargepoint or AV. Timehorse's CC pilot will tell his LEAF (when he finally gets it) "70A".

Phil has stated that the LEAF pulls 12A at 120V, even when his R2 unit says 16A, so the LEAF itself limits the charging current to a lower value when charging L1. What I want to know is whether the LEAF will pull more current at 208 volts than at 240 volts, if not otherwise limited by the pilot, so that it charges at 3.3kW. Allowing for losses in the charger, it should pull a bit more than 3700 watts.

3700 / 240 = 15.42
3700 / 208 = 17.79

You can measure that with a clamp meter when charging at 208. I know the charger will fault if it draws up to 22A and that is a fault level. I just tested it at 225V at making that slightly over 16A so it may slide up slightly higher but you will need to test at your actual voltage as they may have US models set with a hard current limit in the charger. It is possible Japanese models have different settings but I believe the US model spec is 16A so I would guess they hold it close to that but the only way to validate would be on 208 but my bet is it sticks to close to 16A.

Back