Getting my first level 2 charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limey

So, I know price is usually the biggest thing people look at when getting their charger; the lower the better. So what is the second thing? Does the amperage effect the charging time that much? My current plan is to get at least a 50amp circuit to the garage (already have 200 amp service to the house). Does a 30 vs 40 amp charger change much? Is there any other stat I should be looking at instead?

Quality. I know Clipper Creek (http://www.clippercreek.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is a favorite here because they have really solid EVSEs.

Once you are above the amperage capacity of the charger in your car, additional current capability in an EVSE buys you nothing except possible future proofing...

Limey said:
So, I know price is usually the biggest thing people look at when getting their charger; the lower the better. So what is the second thing? Does the amperage effect the charging time that much? My current plan is to get at least a 50amp circuit to the garage (already have 200 amp service to the house). Does a 30 vs 40 amp charger change much? Is there any other stat I should be looking at instead?

gsleaf said:
Quality. I know Clipper Creek (http://www.clippercreek.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is a favorite here because they have really solid EVSEs.

So what makes it quality, durability?

TomT said:
Once you are above the amperage capacity of the charger in your car, additional current capability in an EVSE buys you nothing except possible future proofing...

Limey said:

And I think I saw it somewhere that the Leaf tops out @ 27 amps, is that correct?

Limey said:
gsleaf said:

So what makes it quality, durability?

I believe so yes. I don't own a Clipper Creek, so I can't speak to it directly, I just know people on this forum always recommend them. They do offer a 3 year warranty which is pretty good.

Limey said:
And I think I saw it somewhere that the Leaf tops out @ 27 amps, is that correct?
It depends on the model. I didn't see whether you have an S, SV or SL. If you have an S, do you have the QC upgrade?

If you have a Model S without the QC upgrade, the maximum charging amps at 240 volts is 15
If you have the S with the QC upgrade, or the SV or SL, the maximum charging amps at 240 volts is 27.5

The charging time difference between a 30 amp EVSE which will charge at 24 amps continuous, and a 40 amp EVSE which will charge at 32 amps continuous (but only 27.5 amps for a LEAF) is at most 30 minutes (4 hours vs. 3.5 hours for a full charge from empty).

ps - including information about your model, etc. in your signature eliminates guesswork

billg said:
It depends on the model. I didn't see whether you have an S, SV or SL. If you have an S, do you have the QC upgrade?

If you have a Model S without the QC upgrade, the maximum charging amps at 240 volts is 15
If you have the S with the QC upgrade, or the SV or SL, the maximum charging amps at 240 volts is 27.5

The charging time difference between a 30 amp EVSE which will charge at 24 amps continuous, and a 40 amp EVSE which will charge at 32 amps continuous (but only 27.5 amps for a LEAF) is at most 30 minutes (4 hours vs. 3.5 hours for a full charge from empty).

ps - including information about your model, etc. in your signature eliminates guesswork

I have the 2013 model S without the QC. So, if it only does 15 amps, how long will it take to charge my car?

Limey said:
I have the 2013 model S without the QC. So, if it only does 15 amps, how long will it take to charge my car?

Well, I would guess about 8 hours from empty (or near that). Think of it this way - the battery has about 21kWh of useable capacity. IF you charge at 3kW then that would be 7 hours assuming perfect efficiency and constant max rate. Charging is fastest near empty, then tapers off at the end - last couple hours may well be at less than 3kW as the battery nears full charge.

But now for a reality check - will you be getting home empty? Figure your 'normal' mileage, if this is 50 miles (r/t) and you assume a conservative 4m/kWh then you would be down about 12.5kWh and using the same 3kW rate of charging it would be just over 4 hours at linear rate, likely 5 hours to really be done. What really matters here is

Limey said:
billg said:

You can upgrade your factory cord at evseupgrade.com to 20A and it will charge your car at its max 16A rate and still work on 120V. Since you have no QC you have the 3.3kw charger.

EVDRIVER said:
You can upgrade your factory cord at evseupgrade.com to 20A and it will charge your car at its max 16A rate and still work on 120V. Since you have no QC you have the 3.3kw charger.

Wow, so It will charge in 8 hours on a 120 outlet? That's awesome! To bad I leased, and need to keep the charger unchanged....however, I think there was a 120V charger on Clipper Creek website that does the same as what you are saying. need to go look again.

Limey said:
EVDRIVER said:

Wow, so It will charge in 8 hours on a 120 outlet? That's awesome! To bad I leased, and need to keep the charger unchanged....however, I think there was a 120V charger on Clipper Creek website that does the same as what you are saying. need to go look again.

Same charge time on 120V as you car is fixed at 12A internally on 120V. About 7 hours or less on 240V. You only need a 20A 240V outlet or greater for you max speed.

EVDRIVER said:
Limey said:
EVDRIVER said:

Same charge time on 120V as you car is fixed at 12A internally on 120V. About 7 hours or less on 240V. You only need a 20A 240V outlet or greater for you max speed.

Oh, I see, you are saying it can charge on a 120v or 240V.

The EVSE Upgraded unit can charge at both voltages, if you get the optional 120 volt adapter plug. Given your relatively slow charger, if price is a factor your best bets are either EVSE Upgrade or, if you want a convenient wall-mounted unit, the Clipper Creep HCS-20, which is only $395 plus about $20 shipping. That charges at 15 amps, IIRC. The HCS-25 charges at 20 amps for $100 more.

LeftieBiker said:
The HCS-25 charges at 20 amps for $100 more.
I think you meant "LCS", but the LCS-25 won't charge the OP's car any faster than the LCS-20. The only reason to get a faster EVSE would be if OP has plans to get a different car in the future that has a faster onboard charger.

As LB said, your best bet is the EVSEupgrade or the LCS-20. The upgrade is less expensive, the Clipper Creek gives you a second, wall-mounted unit. Both have good track records, and either will do the job as fast as any other EVSE out there.

Limey said:
EVDRIVER said:

Hmm...

Well, if you are aiming for 3.3kW at 120v, then you would need 27.5amps. At 240v, you need 13.75a. Anything higher than these values are 'future proofing' to whatever degree you exceed the requirements.

Time to charge is a function of amount of power you need vs amount you can 'push' through your onboard charger. That 'push' rate will be the lower of the EVSE (estimate by multiplying volts X amps i.e. 120vX12a=1.44kW ) or the 3.3kW on-board charger that you have. Take the amount of power you need and divide by this number to get a rough estimate of charging time.

There are some other 'losses' in this that add to the mix - for example, I believe the pumps activated during charging use about 300w so you can subtract this from the amount of power going to the battery (i.e. in the above example 120vX12a=1440w, but take out the 300w for the pumps and you net 1140w).

to note, I am planning on future proofing. I will be getting either a higher modeled Leaf next year, or the new Tesla that comes out next year.

Limey said:
to note, I am planning on future proofing. I will be getting either a higher modeled Leaf next year, or the new Tesla that comes out next year.

Well, that does change things. You mentioned that you will have a 50 amp circuit installed, so have it terminate into a 14-50 receptacle. If you get a Tesla, it comes with a EVSE cord that you can plug right into that. In the meantime, get something like the Clipper Creek HCS-40P. It will charge your current LEAF at 15 amps and anything else you might upgrade to later, at up to 32 amps.

Another good option is the Schneider EVlink from Home Depot. It's rated at 30 amps continuous and it's only $499 (after $100 coupon code), but you'll need to add a 14-50 plug if you want to make it portable. I have a friend that installed one and they are pleased with it.

The car takes what it needs subject to the max available. A 40 or 50A charger is a total waste of money. Assuming you have an enhanced Leaf then even if the EVSE reports 80A ( the J1772 max) the car will still only take what its charger requires. That is either 27.5A or 16A.

The only thing more capacity buys you is a heavy awkward J1772 Cable. For example a 50A cable has 3 #6 wires plus a #18 for the pilot. Contrast that to a 40A Quick Charge Power cable. Each phase has 2 #12 ( 20A each) wires, a #18 pilot and a #10 ground.

A 30A yazaki cable has 3 #10 wires and a #18 pilot. In the case of Quick Charge Power the 40A cable is smaller than their 30A cable.

Back