WAPO bashes EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/for-obamas-green-car-revolution-fits-and-starts/2011/11/29/gIQA0FdRdO_story.html?hpid=z5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

more hunting down forward-thinking by the rapidly deteriorating Washington Post.

Herm said:
$5 billion!.. imagine how many L3 chargers you could have bought and installed for that money.
The $5b is in loan guarantees - in other words, we'll get that money back with interest. They're not handouts.

I could give a journalistic critique to this, but there doesnt seem to be a dollar lost here.
this phrase:

A123 Systems, a battery maker that received $380 million in government support,

"government support"
could mean anything;
and this:
declining orders had forced layoffs. Instead of up to 3,000 new Michigan jobs as Obama and the company had predicted, it now has 690 employees.
is not an examination of whether this "support" is a win, a loss, or ignores a change in plan that has the next 2000 people hired next year as car sales pick up.

as I said, the WAPO had an agenda here and that is to pile on to the Solyndra story, which was widely overstated.

I posted on another thread:

The story below barely mentions Nissan's American BEV, or battery, manufacturing efforts.

It is good news, I suppose, that whenever a story about the "risky" or "impractical" nature of the BEV industry is published, the writers seem to avoid the fact that the current producer of the majority of EVs sold worldwide, Nissan, is moving along on right on schedule, toward large-scale mass production, In the US.

"The Obama administration has poured roughly $5 billion in taxpayer funds into the electric-car industry, offering incentives to manufacturers, their suppliers and even car buyers who might want to go green.

But analysts say the risk is rising that taxpayers in many cases will not see a return on their money soon, if ever. Instead, they warn that some federally subsidized companies could be forced to shut down in coming months...

Obama predicted in 2008 that green cars would create thousands of new U.S. jobs as demand soared. But in recent months, production lines and sales expectations have been dramatically scaled back..."

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6654" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drees said:
Herm said:
$5 billion!.. imagine how many L3 chargers you could have bought and installed for that money.
The $5b is in loan guarantees - in other words, we'll get that money back with interest. They're not handouts.
Is a grant a loan guarantee?

"Nissan, Tesla Motors and Fisker Automotive received $2.4 billion in loans to support building U.S. manufacturing plants for electric vehicles through an Energy Department program. In a stimulus push in August 2009, Obama announced $2.4 billion in more than 40 grants to car industry firms, much of it to advanced-battery manufacturers."

"A123 received a $249 million Energy Department grant to build its battery plant in Livonia, Mich., ........"

"The administration devoted $257 million to helping spur Volt battery production, through a $106 million battery assembly grant to GM and another $151 million to its battery provider, LG Chem."

"Obama announced the $2.4 billion in advanced-battery grants at a recreational-vehicle assembly plant in Wakarusa, Ind., where Navistar said it planned to build the eStar, an electric truck for fleets."

Bill

Very funny article. The focus on the ROI for green energy efforts got me wondering what the ROI has been on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

here's more criticism of the WAPO article:
http://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/beat-the-press/news-flash-energy-efficiency-investments-dont-produce-instant-results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as it says, ROI is not instant.

More EV bashing by The Washington Post editorial board:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/overcharged/2011/12/30/gIQAzQ0yUP_story.html?hpid=z3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who knew that EV subsidies were as bad as ethanol subsidies? No mention of oil subsidies of course.

Very funny that the editorial board of the Washington Post, which is owned by Kaplan University, a huge recipient of taxpayer subsidies, should be complaining about government subsidies.

SanDust said:
Very funny that the editorial board of the Washington Post, which is owned by Kaplan University, a huge recipient of taxpayer subsidies, should be complaining about government subsidies.

Actually, it is the other way around, not that it matters in the end. But I surely couldnt let such a misstatement stand.

Company Profile

The Washington Post Company (NYSE: WPO) is a diversified education and media company whose principal operations include educational services, newspaper print and online publishing, television broadcasting and cable television systems.

The Company owns Kaplan, Inc., a leading global provider of educational services to individuals, schools and businesses, serving over one million students annually with operations in more tha
n 30 countries. Its programs include higher education, test preparation, language instruction and professional training.

ebill3 said:
Is a grant a loan guarantee?

My understanding:

Government Loan: Government gives you money, you pay it back to government with interest.

Government Loan Guarantee: Private lender(s) gives you money, you pay it back to lender with interest. If you default, government pays the lender the remaining debt.

Government Grant: Government gives you money. Have a nice day!

Back