Washington State wants to limit EV incentives for expensive cars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via ABG:
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/10/washington-state-limit-ev-incentives-expensive-cars/

$35k max to get the sales tax exemption, waiting for the governor's signature. +1,000. I had hoped that CA State Senator Gaines' bill limiting the rebate to cars with MSRPs below $40k would pass, but instead we capped the income level of the purchaser. I would still like to see Gaines' bill with some mods, i.e. $35k out the door minus govt. fees and taxes, but allowing the price to increase say $50-$100 for every mile over 100 EPA, and still keep the rebate, with the max incrementing downwards every year or two. We need to drive the price of these cars down so that the middle class can afford them, not help the rich buy toys they can easily afford, and who can still get the full benefit of the federal tax credit by buying in any case, unlike people with more modest incomes.

GRA said:
Via ABG:
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/10/washington-state-limit-ev-incentives-expensive-cars/

$35k max to get the sales tax exemption, waiting for the governor's signature. +1,000. I had hoped that CA State Senator Gaines' bill limiting the rebate to cars with MSRPs below $40k would pass, but instead we capped the income level of the purchaser. I wold still like to see Gaines' bill with some mods, i.e. $35k out the door minus govt. fees and taxes, but allowing the price to increase say $50-$100 for every mile over 100 EPA, and still keep the rebate, with the max incrementing downwards every year or two. We need to drive the price of these cars down so that the middle class can afford them, not help the rich buy toys they can easily afford, and who can still get the full benefit of the federal tax credit by buying in any case, unlike people with more modest incomes.
I hope Christy Clark does't read this for at least 2 years :D

ElectricEddy said:
GRA said:
Via ABG:

$35k max to get the sales tax exemption, waiting for the governor's signature. +1,000. I had hoped that CA State Senator Gaines' bill limiting the rebate to cars with MSRPs below $40k would pass, but instead we capped the income level of the purchaser. I wold still like to see Gaines' bill with some mods, i.e. $35k out the door minus govt. fees and taxes, but allowing the price to increase say $50-$100 for every mile over 100 EPA, and still keep the rebate, with the max incrementing downwards every year or two. We need to drive the price of these cars down so that the middle class can afford them, not help the rich buy toys they can easily afford, and who can still get the full benefit of the federal tax credit by buying in any case, unlike people with more modest incomes.
I hope Christy Clark does't read this for at least 2 years :D
I leave it to Canadians to deal with their own politicians - dealing with our own is more than enough to keep us busy/nauseated. ;)

i also think $40,000 would have been a better limit but hoping this $35,000 limit will encourage Nissan and others to provide compelling options at or below that level!

DaveinOlyWA said:
i also think $40,000 would have been a better limit but hoping this $35,000 limit will encourage Nissan and others to provide compelling options at or below that level!
I note that Kia has added a new lower trim level below the Soul EV and EV+ on the 2016s. As it is, the EV+ is over the limit at $35,700, so I wonder if they'll drop the MSRP to $35k (or $34,999, because marketeers assume we're all idiots).

Back