Anybody else hearing this?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethr

I have been hearing a sound when starting out that is like a cross between a thunk and a boing (spring releasing?). It happens ONLY when I am leaving my driveway; I can't duplicate it later. I have to back out of my garage to turn around, then stop to close the garage door with the remote, then out onto the street, where at about 10 to 11 mph I hear this sound. It is definitely not the doors locking; that comes when it should at 15 mph. Anyone else hearing this? Thanks!

sethr said:
I have been hearing a sound when starting out that is like a cross between a thunk and a boing (spring releasing?). It happens ONLY when I am leaving my driveway; I can't duplicate it later. I have to back out of my garage to turn around, then stop to close the garage door with the remote, then out onto the street, where at about 10 to 11 mph I hear this sound. It is definitely not the doors locking; that comes when it should at 15 mph. Anyone else hearing this? Thanks!

Normal.... Brakes.

I hear it also, like a spring "popping" into place.

I think it is associated with having released the parking brake, or possibly with using the brakes in reverse. One could easily experiment, but I have not yet done so.

It does not sound like ABS testing to me.

kubel said:
Don't brakes auto-adjust when applied going in reverse?
Disc brakes have no "adjusting" that is needed. Drum brakes can adjust themselves in the way you describe, though.

I hear the same sound when I start my car and back out of driveway first thing in the morning.
The clunk only happens once in the morning and thats it for the day.Not sure whether I should take it in to get it checked out or just rack it up to the sounds I am going to hear now that I drive a totally silent car.
Other folks that have noticed this problem, what did you do?
I'd be interested to hear thoughts...

Back