Talock2018
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2018

Re: What's considered high mileage?

Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:32 am

Well - of course the younger car at 12k is a better option, what I am saying is that the 8k + 8.5k battery car is still a better option than pretty much anything else on the market in its class. It would likely be a significantly cheaper long term investment as well. Again, in comparison to other small hatchbacks on the market.

All I am saying is that people get freaked about the high cost of one time battery replacement and use it as a reason to avoid older model years but then also tout the “no maintenance” line. Yes, best case scenario financially is a post April 13 LEAF with a twelve bar battery off lease for cheap, that’s a triple win, but around the margins I would bet that it is still financially advantageous when factored for time against a similar used ICE to buy a LEAF and replace the battery when factored against repairs on a used ICE.
2013 SL Super Black | 54,300 miles | 12 bars
AHr - 57.01 | SOH - 87.17%
Hope, ME

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:39 am

Its all about perspective. Some considered my 2016 as high mileage despite having just under 30,000 miles on it but it did have 4 periods of 2+ weeks when it wasn't driven and I only had it just short of 14 months.

I haven't had any LEAF longer than 3 years (4X Lessee here) so hard to comment on long term durability but can say, you can help yourself by maintaining your tire pressures AT the max sidewall pressure listed ON THE TIRE

Rotate your tires every 5,000 miles AT A MINIMUM

As far as the battery goes? I pay the least amount of attention to this, electing to prioritize my needs first. So my "habit" of multiple QCs during the hottest part of the day, 10 or more temperature bars, etc... (On the 2018 LEAF, the temperature bars are on their own screen so its easy to ignore them. a VERY good idea).

But there are some basic guidelines to BMS that you should always keep in mind.

**Don't generate unnecessary heat. Park in the shade. Its laughable how available the shade parking is around here because its 100 feet farther from the building. I can literally take up 3 spaces without any issues whatsoever. FYI; the heat generated from quick charging is "necessary" heat. a BIG difference.

**Avoid L2 charging during the day, especially if its at work in an uncovered parking lot and you are only doing it because you don't want to add to your electric bill. Why is this different than QCing I do? Because I rarely charge over 90% and I immediately drive off. Now I hear people say, I plan my charge to drive off as soon as the charge is done but the logistics say that you will spend well over an hour (probably 2 or 3) at greater than 95% SOC both coming and going. Not good especially when you are only doing it to save $3 on your electric bill.

** Charge only to the level you need. Now with older LEAFs, this advice may not apply but if you have a 2018, then its rather easy to say no to "Do I need to drive 150 miles today?" So don't charge to full if you will be getting home with 60% of your pack left. Now, it sucks that Nissan didn't allow custom charge levels but you can play around with the charge timer to get a lower starting SOC.

Finally; it should be rather apparent by now that the reason new pack prices have gone up is because refurbished packs will soon be on the market and they have to sell for enough to be profitable but at the same time, cheap enough to be a viable option over new pack prices. So the buy lightly used for $10,000 over buying degraded for $7000 and spending more to get new battery scenario is not viable OBVIOUSLY so why anyone thinks that is what is going to happen is....

well, par for the site, I guess.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnlocke
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300582

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:29 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:Its all about perspective. Some considered my 2016 as high mileage despite having just under 30,000 miles on it but it did have 4 periods of 2+ weeks when it wasn't driven and I only had it just short of 14 months.

I haven't had any LEAF longer than 3 years (4X Lessee here) so hard to comment on long term durability but can say, you can help yourself by maintaining your tire pressures AT the max sidewall pressure listed ON THE TIRE

Rotate your tires every 5,000 miles AT A MINIMUM

As far as the battery goes? I pay the least amount of attention to this, electing to prioritize my needs first. So my "habit" of multiple QCs during the hottest part of the day, 10 or more temperature bars, etc... (On the 2018 LEAF, the temperature bars are on their own screen so its easy to ignore them. a VERY good idea).

But there are some basic guidelines to BMS that you should always keep in mind.

**Don't generate unnecessary heat. Park in the shade. Its laughable how available the shade parking is around here because its 100 feet farther from the building. I can literally take up 3 spaces without any issues whatsoever. FYI; the heat generated from quick charging is "necessary" heat. a BIG difference.

**Avoid L2 charging during the day, especially if its at work in an uncovered parking lot and you are only doing it because you don't want to add to your electric bill. Why is this different than QCing I do? Because I rarely charge over 90% and I immediately drive off. Now I hear people say, I plan my charge to drive off as soon as the charge is done but the logistics say that you will spend well over an hour (probably 2 or 3) at greater than 95% SOC both coming and going. Not good especially when you are only doing it to save $3 on your electric bill.

** Charge only to the level you need. Now with older LEAFs, this advice may not apply but if you have a 2018, then its rather easy to say no to "Do I need to drive 150 miles today?" So don't charge to full if you will be getting home with 60% of your pack left. Now, it sucks that Nissan didn't allow custom charge levels but you can play around with the charge timer to get a lower starting SOC.

Finally; it should be rather apparent by now that the reason new pack prices have gone up is because refurbished packs will soon be on the market and they have to sell for enough to be profitable but at the same time, cheap enough to be a viable option over new pack prices. So the buy lightly used for $10,000 over buying degraded for $7000 and spending more to get new battery scenario is not viable OBVIOUSLY so why anyone thinks that is what is going to happen is....

well, par for the site, I guess.

Refurbished packs only exist in Japan. My guess is that they never make it over here. Nissan sells these in the US as compliance cars. The more Leafs they sell, the more highly profitable SUV's and trucks they can sell. Each refurbished battery they sell is a lost new Leaf sale. Unless CARB gives them a credit for battery sales similar to the EV credit, there's no incentive for Nissan to do it. If you want to see refurbished batteries, lobby CARB.
2016 SV, New battery at 45K mi.
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:48 am

I wasn't really expecting Nissan proper to offer them. I see it more likely as an aftermarket item "from" Nissan thru a co-partnership.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”