considering a used leaf for short term/commute

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvu

I'm from Northern California, daily commute is 45 miles round trip with our occasional RT that is about 60 miles. But for the most part it's a pure commuter and will be park during non work hours since I will keep our ICE vehicle.

After looking around at various hybrids plugins, we thought a used Leaf would fit the bill perfectly.

We have a model 3 on reservation but want the HOV sticker today. Hence, we'll be keeping this for the next 18 months (maybe) or until we receive our Tesla. I was glancing through the forum and many recommend a post april 2013. If we get one I think we would like to have an SV or SL. How do I tell if it's a pre or post April 2013?

I'll be ordering a bluetooth OBDII scanner to use when I go shopping, it's the light Leaf Spy enough or do I need the pro version for this purpose?

Also, is it really that bad to get a 2011-2012 model even if it's a good deal?

There's a 2011, 46k miles 9/12 bars left that's an SL. What's a fair price for something like this? If a 2013 similar miles can be had for say +/0 $1000-$1500 and say 10/12 bars, I assume that's a better buy?

If yo want 45-60 miles of range, then a pre-4/'23 leaf would soon need a new battery. The 45 would be do-able for a long time, but not the 60. Look for a Leaf built after March of 2013, with a state of health of 92+%. Or look for a Leaf with 8 capacity bars, or one with nine that has quite a while left until 5 years and 60000 miles after the in-service dates arrives. A free replacement pack from Nissan would also solve the range problem.

Doesn't the battery have to fall below 8 bars to get free replacement? i read that it's also a battle to get the free replacements.

dvu said:
Doesn't the battery have to fall below 8 bars to get free replacement? i read that it's also a battle to get the free replacements.
It MUST be below 9 bars, not 8 within the 5 year/60K capacity warranty (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=13192).

It is not a battle if you're within the warranty period. If you've passed it, then yes, it was VERY YMMV as Nissan has no legal obligation to provide any free replacement or goodwill/discount at that point.

Also make sure it isn't eligible due to the previous person opting-out: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=17045.

Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

Since you mentioned 45 miles, how much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

Not sure why you'd really want a 10 bar '13 unless you're sure it'll hit 8 bars by the time the 5 year/60K capacity waranty is up.... My 5/2013 built used '13 (which I bought in July 2015) still has all 12 CBs. Recent stats at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=475530#p475530.

I agree don't bother with a 10 bar car unless there is a great discount for it.

I don't know what it's like in Nor Cal, but in my area, capacity losses don't seem to be priced in correctly. (That is, you can easily get a 12 bar car for the same or just a few hundred more than a Leaf with 10 bars.)

+1 I agree with the last post..

IMO, People who buy a used Leaf need to buy with one thing in mind.... Condition, Condition, Condition... Do not try to get a bargain and save $1-2K to get only a 10 or 9 bar car. Buy the best car you can afford, and you will get several years more use of the car before "B" day (Battery change day).

However, if you can find a low mileage car, still in warranty with 8 bars..... Keep your mouth shut, Buy it, and do the happy dance as you drive to the dealer for your FREE battery.... Man, I hope I could find one of those..

I get what you're saying now... there's a 2013 with about 34k miles (not sure mfg date yet) for $11k with 8/12 bars. Buy that, SFTU and go get a new battery?

updated: This leaf is mfg March 2013... Any opinions?

Also I'm seeing a lot of 2013 with 12 bars remaining with 25-25k miles. Is there a way to tell if they've replaced the battery at some point?

Also I'm seeing a lot of 2013 with 12 bars remaining with 25-25k miles. Is there a way to tell if they've replaced the battery at some point?

The two are related. Leafs made Jan-March of 2013 appear to have the old battery chemistry, and they degrade quickly. Those made from April of 2013 on seem to have improved chemistry, and degrade much more slowly in normal temperatures.

LeftieBiker said:

The two are related. Leafs made Jan-March of 2013 appear to have the old battery chemistry, and they degrade quickly. Those made from April of 2013 on seem to have improved chemistry, and degrade much more slowly in normal temperatures.

With that said, I'll be visiting a local dealer with lots of leaf in stock. There's a couple post April 2013 leaf priced the same but with QC, SV and premium package. Which one is more ideal all with 12 bars

Assume if I get the 8 bars pre 2013, the replacement battery will be the new version? At which I'll have to decide if I want a fully loaded SV or an SL for the same price.

dvu said:
I get what you're saying now... there's a 2013 with about 34k miles (not sure mfg date yet) for $11k with 8/12 bars. Buy that, SFTU and go get a new battery?
Make sure you're reading it right and counting all the capacity bars. http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/File:Scott_3_bars_s.jpg shows a 3 bar loser.

Some pics of used Leafs are taken while the Leaf is still booting and thus don't show all the CBs the car really has.

cwerdna said:
dvu said:
Make sure you're reading it right and counting all the capacity bars. http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/File:Scott_3_bars_s.jpg shows a 3 bar loser.

Some pics of used Leafs are taken while the Leaf is still booting and thus don't show all the CBs the car really has.

Is this where the bluetooth OBD2 and leaf spy comes handy? I just ordered one. Do I need to buy the Pro leaf spy or the lite will show me what I need?

dvu said:
cwerdna said:
dvu said:

Is this where the bluetooth OBD2 and leaf spy comes handy? I just ordered one. Do I need to buy the Pro leaf spy or the lite will show me what I need?
The lite should show you the basic info you need for now, if you want/need to know more of the specifics or ability to change certain things then upgrade to the $20 Pro. Note if I were you I'd not purchase Leafspy from Amazon, unless you want to always have the Amazon ordering ap on your phone.

Back