Going to put my offer for Leaf SV in tonight

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coach81

So after an extended test drive, my wife and I really like the Leaf. Only concerns are...-
1. Battery issues (not a big concern for me as I don't drive much everyday)
2. Car is not very appealing to the eye... (IMHO).

Other than those we really, really loved the car. The drive was MUCH better than we anticipated, and I love the idea of no gas, oil change, etc.. EVER!!!

So tonight after practice the wife and I will drive up and make an offer for my '13FFH on a '16 Leaf SV. If the dealership will hit my numbers, I will put the order in tonight.

Thanks to everyone in this forum for your help and information.

What color should I order??? :D

^^^ congrats! Personally I'm not a fan of black due to heat and how it shows dirt and raindrops so bad, but you can't argue with the beauty of a clean black car :cool: My '12 is black(not really my choice as it was purchased used) but my main beef is the very light interior, makes me so nervous it will get dirty. OTH my '13 is red(my wife really liked the red, I preferred blue but was OK with red) and have really gotten to like the red. It doesn't look as sharp as the black when clean but 98% of the rest of the time it looks better as it hides dirt better and I also like the dark interior. Color is really a personal choice, pick one you can live with for the foreseeable future and truthfully other than when it's fairly new, you'll probably not really pay attention to it much after that. I personally didn't want a white but you do see lots of used white Leafs.
I kind of agree, the car is kind of quirky looking and at first I wasn't too hot on it, like the colors I've kind of gotten used to it and now don't really notice it, from the rear it looks very like the Versa and from the front I think it looks like a Juke, it is what it is.
More than likely you'll be looking for a L2 EVSE. The dealer may push the stock L2 EVSE and while it's a nice EVSE, IMO it's kind of overpriced for what you get. If you only plan on charging L2 at home it would work fine but it's not really a portable unit. The cheapest wall mount L2 would probably be the ugly GE unit, generally $399 shipped @ Amazon. It charges at the max 27.5a for our Leafs, it requires a 40a circuit and wiring. Another even cheaper option but only gives you 20a@240v would be to have your factory portable EVSE upgraded at EVSEupgrade.com something that I'd strongly suggest even if you get a wall mount unit. Not only does it give you up to 20a @240v but it gives you the ability to easily adjust your 120v output anywhere from 6-12a(12a 120v fixed is what a stock EVSE is) but you can also adjust the 240v output anywhere from 6a-20a, very handy for on-the-fly charging if you ever run into this.
Of course there is also lots of other EVSEs available, Clipper Creek is one of the more suggested brands and is well made(in the US) and not too expensive, my main complaint about the CC models is lack of 120v charging, they are L2 only so if using for a portable EVSE you'd still need to carry around your factory EVSE.
IMO Amazon is one of the better places to purchase a EVSE, that and of course having your factory one upgraded by Phil @ EVSEupgrade.com

Sometimes the choice of color is limited by stock at hand. If you order a specific color and they need to get it for you, you won't get as good a deal on it. Good luck.

Red, blue, and bronze all look especially nice. I've received many compliments on my Forged Bronze LEAF.

I initially wanted a black leaf with light interior, but the deep metallic flake in the Bronze won me over so much I even gave up on the light interior. While the dark interior heats up more in the sun, the AC has no problems keeping up. On cool days, consider it your solar-powered cabin heater :)

Having the windows tinted not only reduces summer heat gain, but I think it improves the car's appearances. Many here recommend 3M Crystalline film.

The LEAF exterior design is a bit of form-follows-function. It is well proportioned, but the funky Nissan design language is not my favorite. I've gotten used to it. I think most people think the LEAF is a Nissan Versa hybrid. It is much bigger than a Versa though.

Another option on L2 charging: I went with an OpenEVSE kit. Some assembly required. It is an open source designed unit that gives a lot of features for the price. It isn't for everyone though as assembling it requires a certain level of skill and knowledge.

Remember that the cost of installing an EVSE may be applicable to you 2016 taxes. There is a 30% credit available.

gshepherd said:

Another option on L2 charging: I went with an OpenEVSE kit. Some assembly required. It is an open source designed unit that gives a lot of features for the price. It isn't for everyone though as assembling it requires a certain level of skill and knowledge.....
Good point, the OP could also purchase a OpenEVSE design already assembled from VagasBrad?? He has lots of different ones assembled and he's always willing to customize things if you want. For example a longer cord, different display or plug, etc.
I believe you'll find him in the private sellers area here on MNL. I think for a 30+ amp unit they start ~$400(same as the GE I mentioned earlier) and for ~$500-550 you can get a nice deluxe unit. They won't be UL listed for those who have that as a must but they are probably built better than lots of the UL listed EVSEs for sale, he just hasn't paid the money required for UL certification :) Also AFAIK they all work on 120v as well as 240v and have adjustable output amp settings.
I also have a Juicebox unit which is another small company built unit out of silicone valley CA, they also sell on Amazon but AFAIK none of the current models have a display like mine, you need to use your cell phone to see whats happening.

If you live where Summer heat is an issue, I suggest brilliant Silver. Not as homely as white, but almost as reflective. If cold is more a problem, I suggest SuperBlack or red.

Back