Is this a decent new Leaf lease deal? What am I missing?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacisprout

:) 2016 blue beauty S with 2 ports (Quick and standard?)
Price $32,025
Reduced to $28,690
$1,000 down
$11,625 rebate
3mo lease $252.15/ mo
15K yr
My commute = 26 miles each way plus stops for errands
12 bar battery as a new car with 5 yr warranty
Seattle-area so temperate weather

Seems great...!? Would love feedback

There is nothing wrong with this deal, but others have gotten an un-optioned 2016 SV for about the same price. If you have real Winters where you live, I suggest the SV instead. If it's always warm, the S is a good choice if you don't need extra timers and web access to the car. I'm not sure about the Seattle area, but basically if you need to use the heater regularly, the SV is A better choice, because even the base version has the heatpump heater.

Ah, great point. Seattle winters are usually mild but the falls through springs are often wet and coldish...and I run cold so I'll be using that heater. Will make an attempt to bargain for the SV for that price, thank you for the suggestion! :D

stacisprout said:
Ah, great point. Seattle winters are usually mild but the falls through springs are often wet and coldish...and I run cold so I'll be using that heater. Will make an attempt to bargain for the SV for that price, thank you for the suggestion! :D

Dealers usually have too many un-optioned SV models (often white) and your dealer may be able to find you one they can truck in from another dealership if they don't have one. In Seattle you may even be able to get a nice SuperBlack base Leaf SV and not have to worry about solar over-heating, if you like black cars.

stacisprout said:
Most of the power comes from knowing what's reasonable to ask for. But I gotta have blue.

That may limit your ability to get a good deal. I'd choose the heat pump over my first choice color (my silver Leaf wasn't my first or second choice). Also, think of range: the S has about an 80 mile range when new (much less in Winter). The SV would have a 107 mile range, and still over 80 miles in Winter.

So you're paying $9825 total for 3 years. That doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

I just leased a S with qc a few weeks ago and I got it for $6700 total for 3 years with 12k miles per year.

2500 drive off
120 a month

EDIT:. Just noticed you have 15k per year. So then your deal isn't too bad.

Assume .15 per mile that means

.15x3000x3 = $1350

So my equivalent deal for 15k would be

$8050

I just leased a S with qc a few weeks ago and I got it for $6700 total for 3 years with 12k miles per year.

This is another reason why we ask people to put their location (City, State) in their signatures. You may have gotten a state incentive that improved your deal.

Im located in Socal, not sure what rebates are in Seattle..

Here's my lease on a 2016 SV (No option) :
Total MSRP+destination charge: $35445+$595
Negotiated down to: $29945.
Total discount (or markup): $9800
Cap Cost: $19930.34
Additional fees: $2000 down + 1st month.
Purchase or lease?: lease
Monthly $209.99 + tax
Less CA rebate $2500 = $140 /mo
Total: $7559.64 for 3 years. (Not factoring in CA $2500 rebate)

Mine's with 12k miles, if converted to 15k = $8909.64
$900 more than cherrytoffee's deal for a 3yr lease for SV with the larger battery and heat pump as others have stated.

stacisprout said:
Price $32,025
Reduced to $28,690
$1,000 down
$11,625 rebate
3mo lease $252.15/ mo
15K yr

These specifics are fantastic. Dealer already agreed to replicate my deal with the SV. Will keep crunching the #'s. Am also considering a Kia Soul for longer range...

your math doesn't seem right...

2000 down + 230 = $2230

$210 monthly + 20 tax = $230

230 x 35 = 8050

8050 + 2230 = 10280 without the CA 2500 rebate.

So your actually paying $3580 more for the SV than the S (10280 - 6700). Which seems reasonable, given that the msrp between the S and SV is around $4k.

xlckx said:
Im located in Socal, not sure what rebates are in Seattle..

Here's my lease on a 2016 SV (No option) :
Total MSRP+destination charge: $35445+$595
Negotiated down to: $29945.
Total discount (or markup): $9800
Cap Cost: $19930.34
Additional fees: $2000 down + 1st month.
Purchase or lease?: lease
Monthly $209.99 + tax
Less CA rebate $2500 = $140 /mo
Total: $7559.64 for 3 years. (Not factoring in CA $2500 rebate)

Mine's with 12k miles, if converted to 15k = $8909.64
$900 more than cherrytoffee's deal for a 3yr lease for SV with the larger battery and heat pump as others have stated.

stacisprout said:
Price $32,025
Reduced to $28,690
$1,000 down
$11,625 rebate
3mo lease $252.15/ mo
15K yr

Could you elaborate more on the $11,600 rebate you mentioned? Everybody correct me if I'm wrong, but one qualifies for a federal $7,500 tax credit-- if you pay at least that much in federal taxes. The only considerable WA incentive is that you won't need to pay sales tax on the purchase of a Leaf-- I'm not sure about leasing one. So I'm not sure where the extra $4k credit is coming from.

LeftieBiker said:
There is nothing wrong with this deal, but others have gotten an un-optioned 2016 SV for about the same price. If you have real Winters where you live, I suggest the SV instead. If it's always warm, the S is a good choice if you don't need extra timers and web access to the car. I'm not sure about the Seattle area, but basically if you need to use the heater regularly, the SV is A better choice, because even the base version has the heatpump heater.

I have a 2012 Leaf in Portland (no heat pump option). I don't use the heat often, but I do have to de-fog my windows a lot in the winter. That uses the heater and lowers the range a ton. Unless something has changed with the newer models I would get a model with the heat pump if I could.

I have a 2012 Leaf in Portland (no heat pump option). I don't use the heat often, but I do have to de-fog my windows a lot in the winter. That uses the heater and lowers the range a ton. Unless something has changed with the newer models I would get a model with the heat pump if I could.

The 2013 and up S models have an air-based heater instead of the water-based one you have, and while it still sucks juice it works much faster. The 2013 and up models also have a heater on/off switch.

LeftieBiker said:
The 2013 and up S models have an air-based heater instead of the water-based one you have, and while it still sucks juice it works much faster. The 2013 and up models also have a heater on/off switch.

Ahh, that's a lot better then. I wouldn't worry nearly as much about the heat pump then.

gsleaf said:
LeftieBiker said:

Ahh, that's a lot better then. I wouldn't worry nearly as much about the heat pump then.

The air-based resistance heater probably saves juice compared to the water-heated version when used for short periods, but when the heat is run constantly I doubt there is much if any savings in range. You need the heat pump to save power when using the heater for significant periods in weather above 25F or so, because all of the resistance heaters have to create heat by forcing electrons through places they'd really rather avoid. Heat pumps just move heat from one place to another, and concentrate it, using much less power.

Back