Battery Warranty in CA?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregO

I live in Los Angeles and am looking at new Leafs. I'm finding some Leafs that have 8 or 9 bars, but most of them are 2011s. Is the battery warranty 5 years or 60,000 miles? So if the build date is 5/11, does that mean that the 5 years have elapsed and it's no longer eligible for a new battery? I thought I read somewhere that the battery has a 100,000 mile warranty on it in California...

The battery capacity warranty is 5 years from original in-service date, or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. A car with a build date of 5/11 probably would not have been sold before July 2011, due to the transport time from Japan (the TN plant didn't start building cars until late 2012 for MY 2013).

FYI 2011's and 2012's originally didn't come with such a warranty; this warranty was not announced until early-mid 2013 when it was made retroactive to all Leafs sold in the US and Canada.

You are thinking of the battery defects warranty which is longer (IIRC 8 years/100k miles). Very few people have ever had their batteries replaced under this warranty; almost all battery replacements under warranty are for premature degradation.

If you do find a 8 bar leaf that's within 5 years and 60,000 miles, call the EV no gas to make sure if the car has NOT opted out of the class action and make sure the updates have been applied to the car. If all those conditions are true it should qualify for a new battery from Nissan.

(Corrected typo)

Tonyt said:
If you do find a 8 bar leaf that's within 5 years and 60,000 miles, call the EV no gas to make sure if the car has opted out of the class action and make sure the updates have been applied to the car. If all those conditions are true it should qualify for a new battery from Nissan.
I know this is pretty tardy , coming 26 hours after the above remark, but the OP should know that even though Tony's wording clumsily implies that opting out of the class-action settlement is an eligibility requirement for warranty pack replacement, I think the opposite is true: You need to confirm that the car is NOT on record as having "opted out".

(What choice did the poor car have, though, as to whether its owner opted out of the settlement?)

Thanks for catching that typo. I'll fix that. Correct, make sure the car has NOT opted out. And yes the car didn't have a choice, however it may be hard for the potential owner to find the previous owner to validate.

Levenkay said:
Tonyt said:
If you do find a 8 bar leaf that's within 5 years and 60,000 miles, call the EV no gas to make sure if the car has opted out of the class action and make sure the updates have been applied to the car. If all those conditions are true it should qualify for a new battery from Nissan.
I know this is pretty tardy , coming 26 hours after the above remark, but the OP should know that even though Tony's wording clumsily implies that opting out of the class-action settlement is an eligibility requirement for warranty pack replacement, I think the opposite is true: You need to confirm that the car is NOT on record as having "opted out".

(What choice did the poor car have, though, as to whether its owner opted out of the settlement?)
Thanks for that information, guys. Very helpful. Who is "EV no gas" that I should contact? I have the VIN of the car, is that all I need to verify?

GregO said:
Levenkay said:
Tonyt said:

Thanks for that information, guys. Very helpful. Who is "EV no gas" that I should contact? I have the VIN of the car, is that all I need to verify?
Nevermind, I figured it out and gave them a call. Appreciate it.

Back