What happens if I drive 80 mph on the interstate?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumper

I'm buying a 2016 SV as a second car, but I'm curious if I'll make to to work and back driving 80 mph on the interstate. My commute is 45 miles each way, about 2/3 of that interstate, the rest back roads with a max speed of 50-55 mph. And yes, sometimes I hit traffic during that commute. Will I make it to work and back driving fast?

There was a chart posted somewhere on this site that indicated range based on speed. I will see if I can find the link and post it here.

Found the chart.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=4295

The chart only goes to 75mph - not intended for speeders. But extrapolating, the extra 5 mph would drop the range to about 55 miles. And the chart assumes iirc that you maintain that high speed throughout. So the fact that you have part of the trip at lower speeds will help. Also, that was based on the 24kwh batteries. If you go with the 30kwh battery, you should in rough theory get 25% more.

But sadly, if you are looking at 45 miles each way, then you are facing 90 miles for the roundtrip, which is well above what the 30kwh version of the Leaf would do reliably for the speeds you want. The above would suggest a range of 65 - 70 miles.

Now if you can charge at work or over lunch or something, then it would work. Otherwise, you will have to slow down if you want to do 90 mile roundtrip on a 2016 Leaf.

Also, the battery will degrade over time, cutting the range down too. So you might get it to work initially, but it will get harder over time.

If this is your 2nd car and not your main commuter, then it might work okay if you are open to charging at work, at lunch, or en route. On a level 2 or 3 charger, an hour plugged in during the this 90 mile roundtrip would probably do wonders for getting the trip completed safely. If you only do this on occasion, then stopping to charge might be more tolerable than if you had to do it daily.

DaveinOlyWA said:
probably get a ticket...
Per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States#Speed_limits, there are some states where some highways have speed limits that are 80 or 85 mph like Texas, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, etc.

thumper said:
I'm buying a 2016 SV as a second car, but I'm curious if I'll make to to work and back driving 80 mph on the interstate. My commute is 45 miles each way, about 2/3 of that interstate, the rest back roads with a max speed of 50-55 mph. And yes, sometimes I hit traffic during that commute. Will I make it to work and back driving fast?
Unlikely without workplace charging beyond the first year or so, or if you use any heat. If you were getting a 24 kWh car the answer would be "Hell, No!", but the extra 6kWh might just let you make it round trip in ideal conditions for a while. Even so, you'd probably need to back off 80 and cruise at 75 or less, if you didn't want to be squeaking in on your last few electrons. This really isn't a good use for the car without workplace charging. You'd need a Bolt, Model 3 or other BEV with similar range to make that round trip commute easily year round. Alternatively, a 2017 BMW i3 REx might work for you, at a much higher price of course.

I am the author of the LEAF Range Chart. While there isn't one for the larger battery car yet, it isn't difficult to figure out. There will be about 26.5kWh available when the car is new and the battery is warm. Over time, you will lose some battery capacity, and in addition, the battery will have less capacity when cold.

So, as stated above, driving 90 miles daily with the 24kWh LEAF is just not practical.

Using the 30kWh LEAF, and assuming a warm battery (over 70F/20C temperature) and level roads with zero cabin heater use, no headwinds, then a steady speed of 65mph will yield about 3.9 miles/kWh:

------------------------------65mph-------------70mph-------------75mph-------------80mph
--------------------------3.9 miles/kWh---3.6miles/kWh---3.3miles/kWh---2.9miles/kWh
--------------------------- RANGE--------------- RANGE------------- RANGE----------- RANGE
100% -- 26.5kWh------103---------------------95---------------------87------------------77

Obviously, a cold or degraded battery will have less kWh

In addition, using the cabin heater can increase energy consumption by 20-30%

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
probably get a ticket...
Per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States#Speed_limits, there are some states where some highways have speed limits that are 80 or 85 mph like Texas, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, etc.

While that is true, those stretches of highway tend to be out in the middle of nowhere, with sparse charging facilities for any BEV other than perhaps Tesla.

My experience with a off-lease 2012 and a 32mile/64mile rt has proven to be impossible w/o charging. I like to drive close to 70mph, but with the ev and being denied charging access (even to a trickle charge), I am driving like a semi. Still need a 3h trickle charge (from my generator - easier than stopping or going 10miles at lunch to the CHAdeMO). I feel a lot of pressure from the gas drivers that have no concept of slowing down on the hills to save power. I have not been successful at talking the management into allowing me access to an outlet (I could then drive at 64-68mph). Diesel drivers plugged in their heaters and raised a stink when they saw the ev plugged-in after getting denied access. Never mind that the environment deserves some consideration.

Jon000 said:
My experience with a off-lease 2012 and a 32mile/64mile rt has proven to be impossible w/o charging. I like to drive close to 70mph, but with the ev and being denied charging access (even to a trickle charge), I am driving like a semi. Still need a 3h trickle charge (from my generator - easier than stopping or going 10miles at lunch to the CHAdeMO). I feel a lot of pressure from the gas drivers that have no concept of slowing down on the hills to save power. I have not been successful at talking the management into allowing me access to an outlet (I could then drive at 64-68mph). Diesel drivers plugged in their heaters and raised a stink when they saw the ev plugged-in after getting denied access. Never mind that the environment deserves some consideration.
Thats really too bad, but not atypical in my experience. People can plug in and run a 1500W space heater all day but god forbid someone else would want to plug in their EV which would draw about the same current :x What type brand of generator are you running, 120v or 240v? I've thought of carrying around a Honda 120v inverter generator, the 2000W model is quite portable and not too heavy but then theirs the gas to think of, that and the fact that someone might actually steal it not to mention the ~$1000 cost.... When I first got my Leaf I was using a building 120v outlet frequently but then someone complained to management, wondering why "they" should have to pay for someone elses electricity :roll: of course again that same person is probably one who runs with the 1.5Kw heater under their desk, all day! I stopped plugging in for a few months but am now occasionally plugging in if I know I'll need to drive more than the car would otherwise allow. So far no one has complained again, time will tell......truthfully I'm thinking it might have been more about the fact that the outlet was one of the closest spots to the door(but not particularly signed) as to why someone complained. Personally I wouldn't have minded if it were in the back of the parking lot, no one would have probably noticed it there but thats the thing with most outlets, they aren't in the back of a parking lot, more than likely they are close to the building where the power is :idea:

GRA said:
Unlikely without workplace charging beyond the first year or so, or if you use any heat. If you were getting a 24 kWh car the answer would be "Hell, No!", but the extra 6kWh might just let you make it round trip in ideal conditions for a while. Even so, you'd probably need to back off 80 and cruise at 75 or less, if you didn't want to be squeaking in on your last few electrons. This really isn't a good use for the car without workplace charging. You'd need a Bolt, Model 3 or other BEV with similar range to make that round trip commute easily year round. Alternatively, a 2017 BMW i3 REx might work for you, at a much higher price of course.

And as someone who switched from Leaf to i3 Rex I'd like to add much less comfortable ride/commute than the Leaf...

epirali said:
And as someone who switched from Leaf to i3 Rex I'd like to add much less comfortable ride/commute than the Leaf...

Good point. I test drove the i3 and found it to be sportier, which I like. But sportier does tend to come at the cost of commute comfort. A short test drive doesn't really reveal commute comfort.

Back