Temporary override of longevity mode?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrightLeaf

I have my 2013 Leaf charge settings set to longevity mode (80%). If I want to do a manual charge to 100%, is there a one-time way to override the longevity setting? I would like an easy way to tell the car: just this one time charge to 100%, but thereafter follow the longevity setting.

I don't want to have to get into the car, turn it on, and then change the setting to 100%, turn it off, charge it, and then get in the car again, turn it on, and change the setting back to 80%, and then turn it off.

I was hoping that the immediate charge button would be what I want, but with the immediate charge button it still stops at 80%.

The trick at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=336053#p336053 works, assuming you have an SV or SL. I use it all the time,

If you have an S, you have no TCU, no cellular radio and thus no way to trigger it via app.

cwerdna said:
The trick at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=336053#p336053 works, assuming you have an SV or SL. I use it all the time,

If you have an S, you have no TCU, no cellular radio and thus no way to trigger it via app.

Yup, the trick is to set the charge timer limit to 80%, the car's limit to 100%, the timer active 24/7, and then just use the override button whenever you want 100%. The rest of the time it will charge to 80% whenever plugged in*. Remember that the override only remains active for 15 minutes (IIRC) so you have to plug in before it "expires."

*If you leave the car plugged in - a very bad idea unless it's also on a battery maintainer - the charge will briefly restart and then shut off again every 24 hours, at the time you set for On/Off.

LeftieBiker said:
cwerdna said:

Yup, the trick is to set the charge timer limit to 80%, the car's limit to 100%, the timer active 24/7, and then just use the override button whenever you want 100%. The rest of the time it will charge to 80% whenever plugged in*. Remember that the override only remains active for 15 minutes (IIRC) so you have to plug in before it "expires."

*If you leave the car plugged in - a very bad idea unless it's also on a battery maintainer - the charge will briefly restart and then shut off again every 24 hours, at the time you set for On/Off.
It's up the OP but on my '13S I just change the dash setting to 100% for the rare occasions I need 100%, only takes a few seconds and done. On my '12SL I do the timer over ride thing, immediate charge to 80% whenever plugged in, push override button and within 5 minutes(pretty sure it's 5 and not 15 minutes) plug it in and it will charge to 100%.
The reason I don't like to do this with my '13S(well actually I couldn't but I wouldn't want to anyway) is I always start my charging in the wee hours of the morning so the battery doesn't sit even at 80% for any longer than need be. I have it set to hit just about 80% before I leave and the battery only goes to a lower SOC from there.

BrightLeaf said:
I was hoping that the immediate charge button would be what I want, but with the immediate charge button it still stops at 80%.

That must be a 2013 behavior, because on my 2012, hitting the Timer Override button meant you got an immediate charge to 100%.

^^^
It’s because he had long-life mode (80%) turned in in a new entry in the UI (see attached), NOT the timer. I’m fairly sure that if you had it that way, pressing timer override will still cause charge to only go to 80%.

One has to do use the timer (e.g. midnight to midnight 80% trick) and set turn off long-life mode in the above UI.

If memory serves, the only way to charge to 80% on a '11 and '12 Leaf was by setting a timer to 80%.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 5.48.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 5.48.10 PM.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 55
cwerdna said:
^^^
It’s because he had long-life mode (80%) turned in in a new entry in the UI (see attached), NOT the timer. I’m fairly sure that if you had it that way, pressing timer override will still cause charge to only go to 80%.

One has to do use the timer (e.g. midnight to midnight 80% trick) and set turn off long-life mode in the above UI.

If memory serves, the only way to charge to 80% on a '11 and '12 Leaf was by setting a timer to 80%.
Yes on a '13(I only have experience with the S model) if you have 80% enabled in the menu, 80% is the max it will charge whether using timer or timer override button. Yes on the '11/'12 models the only way to get 80% is with using the timer.

Back