brake or park, which is better for short time stop?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If someone is coming up behind you and not 100% alert, you might want your brake lights on so they don't plow into you. Yes, it is very unlikely but likewise the result could be really bad. It's your call on whether you prefer 0.1% longer battery life or a tiny bit more safety.

Bob

I put into neutral and foot lightly on brake
so i can quickly move into drive when its safe to move fwd

I don't like holding my foot on the brake pedal because I am lazy. So I put it into park. If I'm really lazy and on a flat surface, I'll select N so I don't have to lift my brake foot to shift it back into D. Might be bad news if you get hit from the back with the car in N though.

Be warned that being in Park or Neutral on a motorway is illegal in most places. If you are stopped in traffic, your foot needs to be on the brake to alert drivers behind you.

Also I can't imagine engaging the parking pawl continuously is a good thing. Just drive the darn car.

goixiz said:
I put into neutral and foot lightly on brake
Note that *lightly* keeping your foot on the brake means that some power is being applied to the motor to provide "creep". When you press down a bit more firmly, this stops. Confirmed with Leaf Spy Pro.

2k1Toaster said:
Be warned that being in Park or Neutral on a motorway is illegal in most places. If you are stopped in traffic, your foot needs to be on the brake to alert drivers behind you.

Also I can't imagine engaging the parking pawl continuously is a good thing. Just drive the darn car.

+3 Agreed on all points.

I would like to mention that if you use the parking brake while in D it will draw power and "torque" against the brake.

You can hear the motor "singing" if you do that. It would be a HUGE waste of power. I did it once just to see what would happen and it only took a few seconds to figure out that its a bad idea.

BTW thats on a 2012 with the electronic parking brake. However I would assume that its the same on any model.

Back