Federal and State of Oregon tax credits

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMode

Dear Fellow Leaf Owners:

I live in SE Portland, Oregon and am considering the purchase of a brand new 2015 Nissan Leaf.
According to the advertisements and dealership communications, consumers who opt to buy a brand new Leaf qualify for certain tax credits.
I have the following questions:
Does everyone qualify for these tax credits?
For the Federal portion: Does everyone receive the maximum allowed of $7,500? (Form 8936)
For the Sate of Oregon portion: Does everyone receive the maximum allowed of $750? (Form OR-ASC)
Is this a dollar-for-dollar type of tax credit?
Is there any reason a person wouldn't qualify for these incentives and tax credits?

My Federal taxes are simple. I withhold at a lower number (2) and I do itemize my deductions, so still receive a refund each year.
Same thing with State of Oregon taxes. I receive a refund each year.
My earnings are below 100,000 annually, if that helps.

Any feedback on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

BMode

The LEAF qualifies for the full $7500 federal income tax credit, but you have to owe at least that much in a single year's taxes in order to use it; that's one of the reasons some people are given in favor of leasing. If you only owe $5K in taxes for the year you decide to claim the credit, $5000 is all you get back on a purchase, but since a big corporation has a plenty big tax bill, the leasing company that buys the car can claim the full credit and lower the effective loan amount accordingly. To be clear: just because you might be due a refund on federal taxes doesn't mean you didn't owe any taxes; just that your payroll withholding paid more than was due. If you had $14K withheld and appear to be due a $2500 refund, but bought a LEAF (or other EV with a suitably large battery), you'll get a $10K refund instead, because the $11500 that you owed was more than the $7500 credit. At least, that was my experience.

When I bought a LEAF in 2011, Oregon was still allowing a similar credit of $1500 off their state income tax, but that incentive is no longer available (but on the bright side, the state's been involved in deploying a very nice network of DC QuickCharge stations :) ). The $750 incentive you mention is, I believe, intended to help with the cost of installing EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) at home. According to a quick Google, it's a refund of 25% of what a resident spends to purchase and install EVSE, up to a maximum refund of that $750 figure. Nowadays, pretty good EVSEs are available for about $500-$700, so the limit probably won't come into play.

So in essence, if Line 72 under "Payments" section on my Form 1040 states an amount in excess of $10,000, that would be preferable, since I am normally due a $3,000 refund and I would want this higher amount to be included on Line 72 for next years' taxes, in order to be eligible to claim the full amount of $7,500 being offered through the purchase of a brand new 2015 Leaf. Is that correct and an accurate interpretation of your posted reply?

Additionally, if my current payroll withholding through my employer is only a 2, I should probably consult them to reduce that withholding number to a 1 or a 0 , so that my total payment increases and I can receive the full benefit of the current Nissan incentive when I file with the I.R.S next year. Is that an accurate course of action?

Make sure the home charger is not a plug in, it has to be wired to electrical box to get rebate in oregon.

Learned that the hard way last year.

Epi117 said:
Make sure the home charger is not a plug in, it has to be wired to electrical box to get rebate in oregon.

Learned that the hard way last year.
Sounds like a stupid restriction. I would have just taken the plug off the device, the wires out of the outlet, and "hardwired" it.

Back