LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If one places an order within the next day via PayPal, will there be a unit available to ship when the
cables arrive?

lorenfb said:
If one places an order within the next day via PayPal, will there be a unit available to ship when the
cables arrive?
Yeah, I expect to make 25-26 more in April when the cables arrive and 3 of those are pre-ordered at the moment.

GregH said:
lorenfb said:
cables arrive?
Yeah, I expect to make 25-26 more in April when the cables arrive and 3 of those are pre-ordered at the moment.

Ordered one.

jlsoaz said:
GregH said:
Thank you! I have 26 units remaining but unfortunately they are awaiting OBD2 cables which it seems are back ordered for the next month :/
http://www.obd2cables.com/products/obd-cables/j1962m-ra-to/cable-j1962m-right-angle-to-open-6ft.html
So those last units will have to wait until April/May.

I've never used any of the competing products, but I like the nice long non-cheap-feeling cable on yours, in case that is of use for others to know.

jl

One thing that came up after I wrote this which might be of general use to know....

I was driving along and found myself fumbling a bit with my foot to get a better feel down by the pedals. I think at some point the long cord may have worked its way down there. I hadn't used any masking tape or other means to afix the cord anywhere, so it was probably getting into trouble.

Since then I haven't used it quite as much, but I am just being lazy (I am not much good with setting things up). I'll get some strong tape at some point, and that should do it. Maybe there is some known thing that is the smart way to the whole thing up.

jl

I wrap the cable around the steering column (as GaryG showed me long ago). So it comes out of the OBD2, does a 180 so the cable comes towards the driver, then up and below the left side of the steering column. Tucked out of view it goes 360 degrees around the column then up to my dashboard. I have it wedged in just to the left of the speedometer, covering up the eco-tree. Others on this thread have found more professional looking ways to mount it..

Oddly enough I would have rather had a thinner cable. The cable has all 16 wires in it but I only need 4 of them. I cut the other 12 at an angle so they are all slightly different lengths then visually check that none can short any other.. then I wrap it with electrical tape, solder into the LeafDD and strap the two zipties for strain relief. It would have been simpler (IMHO) If I had just the 4 wires I needed.. If someone (not me) takes this into production down the line, maybe they can secure custom cables. For this little 150 piece hobby I've just been buying the cables from obd2cables.com.

GregH said:
I wrap the cable around the steering column (as GaryG showed me long ago). So it comes out of the OBD2, does a 180 so the cable comes towards the driver, then up and below the left side of the steering column. Tucked out of view it goes 360 degrees around the column then up to my dashboard. I have it wedged in just to the left of the speedometer, covering up the eco-tree. Others on this thread have found more professional looking ways to mount it..

Oddly enough I would have rather had a thinner cable. The cable has all 16 wires in it but I only need 4 of them. I cut the other 12 at an angle so they are all slightly different lengths then visually check that none can short any other.. then I wrap it with electrical tape, solder into the LeafDD and strap the two zipties for strain relief. It would have been simpler (IMHO) If I had just the 4 wires I needed.. If someone (not me) takes this into production down the line, maybe they can secure custom cables. For this little 150 piece hobby I've just been buying the cables from obd2cables.com.

Ok, thanks, will try the wrap around idea.

Well, this looks pretty cool. I just ordered one. I have loved the bluetooth OBD reader I have in my other cars, and I use the Torque app on my phone to read it, so I thought I had better try this out. Thanks.

I just mounted the used DD I got from Ryan. I mounted it high so it was out of direct sun light. I like the small size and the first page options. It looks like a keeper.

Received the LeafDD. Thanks Greg, great unit and design.
My favorite page is the 1st with Ahr & GIDs below with temp to the right
and battery voltage above, i.e. all the most critical data on one page.

A few questions:

1. This thread mentions that just four OBDII lines are used, i.e. #30 & grd,
and two CAN lines. And that once the CAN bus goes to 'sleep', the unit powers
down. So can I assume that the draw on the 12 volt battery is less than
10ma and leaving the unit connected doesn't present a draw issue?

2. My third temp on the 2nd page indicates a zero temp with a 999 A/D value.
You have indicated that this temp value has been mis-read, right?
Does this imply that Nissan may have changed a memory location
for this temp value since your update? My Leaf was delivered on 11/22/13.

My unit is located in the instrument cluster covering the battery temp indication at
a 45 deg angle with the cable wrapped around the column and tucked into the void below
the column. There, it's not a distraction while driving and hidden from the outside
of the vehicle. The LeafDD's page #1 provides the temp data, so the cluster's temp
data is of no value.

A future mod if you build additional units could be the elimination of the 'H' (health)
data replaced with the four tire pressure values. Since I run my pressures close
to the max avoiding a fault, that's of key concern to me. If that feature were in
the next build, I'd buy another unit.

Thanks again for a great device.

1. I've left the unit plugged in for a week or two at a time without issue. I think Greg has said it's a few mA when off.

2. '13 and above do not have a third temp sensor.

I don't think tire pressures are on the EV CAN bus although in theory you could ask the VCM to bridge the message containing the values on the CAR CAN bus for you.

Thanks, yeah no 3rd temp sensor on a 2013/14 and best I can tell the request for tire pressure info has to come on the CAR-CAN bus, not the EV bus that LeafDD connects to. The processor is always awake but the screen turns off when the CAN bus goes inactive (not driving or charging). That's the big power draw (the screen).. I would think leaving LeafDD connected while the car was idle for a few weeks would be fine. To be on the safe side though, for a few months of idle time I'd unplug it.

We're in the final stretch now.. only 12 or 13 units left. When they sell out I'll change the title and 1st post of this thread.

FWIW, I leave my LeafDD plugged in ALL the time (stored in my steering wheel), which includes a few "gone for a week" stretches with no issues. Of course, I replaced my 12v lead acid with a LiFePO4, but that's another story... :D

"I don't think tire pressures are on the EV CAN bus although in theory you could ask the VCM to bridge the message containing the values on the CAR CAN bus for you."

So one would need to 'go' thru a central CAN gateway to access that data or is that CAN directly available
from the OBDII connector? Has the Leaf's bus network been posted or a wiring diagram available?

GregH said:
We're in the final stretch now.. only 12 or 13 units left. When they sell out I'll change the title and 1st post of this thread.

I just ordered one. I hope that you still had some left. :shock:

lorenfb said:
"I don't think tire pressures are on the EV CAN bus although in theory you could ask the VCM to bridge the message containing the values on the CAR CAN bus for you."

So one would need to 'go' thru a central CAN gateway to access that data or is that CAN directly available
from the OBDII connector? Has the Leaf's bus network been posted or a wiring diagram available?

Answered my own question here;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back