LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my LeafDD a few days ago and I totally love it, what sucks is that I can see my actual AH Values and its currently at 55.8%. I know that in the next few days at around 55.5% AH or so I will be losing my 12th bar, probably on Friday LOL... Will keep ya posted.

Thanks Greg for a cool device.

Fred, San Diego CA.

stjohnh said:
bowthom said:
Hello,
I'm pretty confused with the numbers coming out of the leaf as portrayed by the Leaf DD.
Tonight it shows 80% health at 59.73 Ah. Just a couple of weeks ago it showed 91% health at 62.97 Ah.
Something is wonky.

Most of these values have been derived by smart people doing reverse engineering, unfortunately the "H" value, commonly called "Health" is probably only related to actual battery "health" in a convoluted way. It would much better be called "H-factor" until it is better understood. However the name "Health" for this value has become entrenched and won't likely change.
Well before we had the P3227 update and I had just a half dozen vehicles worth of data it seemed to track capacity as a percentage so for lack of a better word I called it "Health". "Health" of course could mean all kinds of things.. For the moment TickTock and I have decided just to call it Hx. Still... going from 63Ah (222Gids @80%) down to 59.7Ah (210Gids @80%) over such a short time is rather alarming. :(

GregH said:
stjohnh said:
bowthom said:
Hello,
I'm pretty confused with the numbers coming out of the leaf as portrayed by the Leaf DD.
Tonight it shows 80% health at 59.73 Ah. Just a couple of weeks ago it showed 91% health at 62.97 Ah.
Something is wonky.

Most of these values have been derived by smart people doing reverse engineering, unfortunately the "H" value, commonly called "Health" is probably only related to actual battery "health" in a convoluted way. It would much better be called "H-factor" until it is better understood. However the name "Health" for this value has become entrenched and won't likely change.
Well before we had the P3227 update and I had just a half dozen vehicles worth of data it seemed to track capacity as a percentage so for lack of a better word I called it "Health". "Health" of course could mean all kinds of things.. For the moment TickTock and I have decided just to call it Hx. Still... going from 63Ah (222Gids @80%) down to 59.7Ah (210Gids @80%) over such a short time is rather alarming. :(

I can't help thinking this has to do with P3227 update. It's like it's still trying to calibrate itself. The battery temps are within .6*C between samples and have been normal around here AND we've been charging to 80% so there is no reason for it to degrade so rapidly.

bowthom said:
I can't help thinking this has to do with P3227 update. It's like it's still trying to calibrate itself. The battery temps are within .6*C between samples and have been normal around here AND we've been charging to 80% so there is no reason for it to degrade so rapidly.

That sounds likely.. It seems many others have documented this recalibration as the BMS tries to figure out the true capacity after the reprogramming (or even just resetting). The Hx value does seem to swing far in advance of capacity even with the old software. When I first started taking measurements most cars and capacities where in the 88-95% range except TickTock in AZ with a very depleted pack.. His Hx value was the outlier (something like 50%?!?!) I'm looking forward to tracking this stuff after I get the P3227 programming done.. I've just been too lazy to go into the dealer :/

My 2013 12V battery died today, and got me stranded. While LeafDD couldn't read the GIDs, it seemed to be able to read the other variables just fine, which would confirm my 12V battery is dead (5V). Assuming this was accurate data, I would love to see the option which would make a loud beeping noise when the 12V battery value starts dropping too low (but before it dies obviously).

1024131446.jpg

I took this picture before the temps were read, but a minute later, I could read 3 of the 4 temp sensors as well.

lion said:
My 2013 12V battery died today, and got me stranded. While LeafDD couldn't read the GIDs, it seemed to be able to read the other variables just fine, which would confirm my 12V battery is dead (5V). Assuming this was accurate data, I would love to see the option which would make a loud beeping noise when the 12V battery value starts dropping too low (but before it dies obviously).

1024131446.jpg

I took this picture before the temps were read, but a minute later, I could read 3 of the 4 temp sensors as well.
Wow.. much lower than that and the LeafDD might not even turn on.. How did the 12V die? lights on? where you in accessory mode?

I should also note the latest version of LeafDD supports Brusa charger control. V1.2.1 released a few weeks back works but it's been refined a bit in V1.2.2 which just started shipping a few days ago.
If the LeafDD detects a Brusa charger on the CAN bus it will ramp it up alongside the 2011/12 OBC and also cut power as soon as you touch the EVSE handle (as does the OBC). The LeafDD calculates additional EVSE ampacity based on the EVSE pilot and supports up to 16A more (via Brusa) from the line on 240V, 14A from the line on 208V or 4A from the line on 120V assuming the EVSE pilot reports sufficient ampacity. If the EVSE reports only 12A @ 120V or 16A @ 240V the LeafDD will not turn on the Brusa. If a Brusa is detected when you plug in the EVSE, the LeafDD switches to page 2 and the 2nd half of the last line (after 12V voltage) is replaced with information specific to the Brusa such as EVSE line voltage and ampacity, OBC DC charge current + Brusa DC charge current, Brusa temp (graphically) and Brusa on/off (as a big white block). If you wish to disable your Brusa, just press the LeafDD button to go back to page 3 or 1 and the Brusa will shut down.

GregH said:
lion said:

1024131446.jpg

Wow.. much lower than that and the LeafDD might not even turn on.. How did the 12V die? lights on? where you in accessory mode?
I don't know. The dealer doesn't know either. I know I didn't leave the car turned on (see other thread in the problems forum), but since Nissan seems to think I left my car on and the battery tested ok after charging it, they won't/can't do much. Hopefully I won't get stranded again (2 tow trucks, nail in tire, all in 1 day).

That said, I really appreciated having the LeafDD hooked up, I was ready to push the car to a location near an outlet, but once I found out how difficult it is to get out of N without power, decided to check the 12V voltage first (which ended up saving me all this hassle).

Very nice work, GregH, supporting the Brusa.

What voltage regulator are you using to handle
14v in down to what is shown as 5.6 volts?

Does your DD run on 3.3v or 5.0v?

We have missed you at the Gathering, but
you have probably been a very busy boy. :D

Cheers, Gary

garygid said:
Very nice work, GregH, supporting the Brusa.

What voltage regulator are you using to handle
14v in down to what is shown as 5.6 volts?

Does your DD run on 3.3v or 5.0v?

We have missed you at the Gathering, but
you have probably been a very busy boy. :D

Cheers, Gary
Thanks Gary, sorry couldn't make it today :(
LeafDD runs at 3.3V so there's a little more headroom there..
I'm using a microchip SOT223-3 part for its heat dissipation..
Part# MCP1703T-3302E/DB

Hey gang, I'm assembling another batch of LeafDDs this weekend (Nov 2-3) but then I'll be out of the country the 2nd and 3rd weeks of November so if anyway was thinking of ordering a LeafDD in November you might do it this weekend. There will be more in December though of course. This is just a hobby for me and there will probably only be 140-150 built in total (we're up to 80 now).

lion said:
GregH said:
lion said:

1024131446.jpg

I don't know. The dealer doesn't know either. I know I didn't leave the car turned on (see other thread in the problems forum), but since Nissan seems to think I left my car on and the battery tested ok after charging it, they won't/can't do much. Hopefully I won't get stranded again (2 tow trucks, nail in tire, all in 1 day).

That said, I really appreciated having the LeafDD hooked up, I was ready to push the car to a location near an outlet, but once I found out how difficult it is to get out of N without power, decided to check the 12V voltage first (which ended up saving me all this hassle).

I do work for 3 Nissan dealers and I have seen some 12V batteries fail with no warning on pretty new cars. It is not a Leaf issue , but a sort of known Nissan issue.

Goodtohave said:
I do work for 3 Nissan dealers and I have seen many 12V batteries fail with no warning on pretty new cars. It is not a Leaf issue , but a sort of known Nissan issue.

All the more reason to replace that 12v lead acid battery with a 12v LiFePO4! I haven't had a single issue in over 6 months since I did the swap.

The good news is most are fine, only a few are bad. It is more of an inconsistency then anything else

If you have a good one you will probably never have a problem....they tend to get weak and cause a hard start (on a non EV) .

Besides our cars are all under warranty so just get a new one for free!

Thanks GregH, Got mine today. Great build and great price. Will have to read this thread more about what else can be done with the LeafDD. The car I plan to use this in wont have the Nissan dashes installed so the LeafDD is going be the main display.

Hi,

I recently got my unit in the UK and wonder if there is anyway to dim the display, its super bright at night.

Thanks

Dave

dod said:
I recently got my unit in the UK and wonder if there is anyway to dim the display, its super bright at night.

Buried in the instructions on the first post in this thread is the following info:

GregH said:
A long press on the voltages page will set the display (for all pages) to dim mode. The display will be dimmed (ie low power mode) only if A: you select it here, B: the DD gets too hot or C: while charging. When the Leaf is off and not charging, the display turns off. A button press while off will bring it up for a few seconds to see the last data or check the 12V battery.

The voltages page is page number three that shows the chart of the relative voltages on all the batteries. I personally would like it to go even dimmer, but it's not near as bright when put in this mode.

dod said:
Hi,

Thanks

Dave

Go to the Battery Balance page and press and hold the button, it should dim there.

From page 1:

A long press on the voltages page will set the display (for all pages) to dim mode. The display will be dimmed (ie low power mode) only if A: you select it here, B: the DD gets too hot or C: while charging. When the Leaf is off and not charging, the display turns off. A button press while off will bring it up for a few seconds to see the last data or check the 12V battery.

Fred

Just got mine and really liking it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I popped out the OBD connector and tucked it up in the dash and plugged in. (nothing sticking out below) I can still reach up there to unplug to reset if necessary.
Then just ran the cable up from inside the dash through the fuse box and out the top, up into\under the A-pillar & into the headliner across to just left of center for the rear view mirror.
I needed only one screwdriver for the whole job and a plastic wedge to push the cable under the A-Pillar as I moved along the trim and door gaskets.
I made\Bent a Metal 'L' bracket with a slight twist to favor the driver's angle and double sided taped it to the rear-view wire guide on the windshield and attached it directly to the LeafDD...
Added a couple of drops of hot glue (Still Removable) for good measure and is in the perfect spot for me.
Mounted strong enough to just push the button without having the grasp the back of the unit.
Leaf_DD_Install.jpg

Thanks GregH!!!

Back