Rumor: DC quick chargers coming to Washington, DC this year

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegGuheert

I got this from a source which I consider credible, but both the quantity (30) and the schedule (this year) do not seem reasonable. I have unsuccessfully tried to do a Google search, but since "Washington DC quick charger" inevitably finds links about the left coast I'm not sure how to do it properly.

I've never really thought much about DC quick charging since it is not available here, but based on comments by posters in Washington and Oregon, it sounds like it could be quite useful. Some of the locations I heard mentioned for this area would make this car useful for certain trips which simply aren't in the cards today.

So does anyone have any more information about this rumored infrastructure around Washington, DC?

(Reg dons flame-proof gear in anticipation of a barrage of angry comments from CA LEAFers who have been promised DC quick-charge infrastructure which has not materialized.)

From http://www.evgonetwork.com/the-evgo-network/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eVgo is currently building a network in Houston and the Dallas/Fort Worth areas. In these markets we’ve already built charging stations in the city center and many other points radiating out 25 miles. Later in 2012, we’ll expand into California, Washington DC, Virginia and Maryland.

Considering the number of Freedom Stations (what eVgo calls DC Fast Chargers) they have deployed in Texas, I wouldn't be surprised to see 30 in the DC area.

Thanks, NYLEAF! Very interesting!

Perhaps we will have a use for the $700 port on the front of our LEAF after all! Here's hoping'!

I sent off an email to eVgo a couple of weeks ago with a few questions (most of which I don't even remember at this point), but I finally got a response and here's what they said...

All of our Freedom Stations include DC Fast Charging, as well as Level 2 Chargers. We are installing 40 Freedom Stations in the DC Metro area, as well as Baltimore and Northern Virginia.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to make it down to the Baltimore area on Level 2 and then use QC the rest of the way to DC for a road trip next spring. I just hope eVgo comes out with some sort of pay-as-you-go plan, because I don't need a monthly subscription if they're not going to launch in NY any time soon.

NYLEAF said:
I'm hoping that I'll be able to make it down to the Baltimore area on Level 2 and then use QC the rest of the way to DC for a road trip next spring. I just hope eVgo comes out with some sort of pay-as-you-go plan, because I don't need a monthly subscription if they're not going to launch in NY any time soon.

How much would you pay for a DC charge (trying to channel Tony here...) $10? $20? How many charges would you need on the 'DC trip'? 4,5?

Perhaps you get a month-to-month "plan" That's $59 - (I'm assuming the $19 initiation fee just pays for the fob and account setup and is truly 1-time) and you can charge as much as you want in the 'month'. If they make the 'month' ~30 days from start then this might be a reasonable model for trips.

I'd pay up to $0.40/minute for a pay-as-you-go QC. If I was forced to get on a plan, I'd want to pay something like $25 for a weekend (Fri-Sun) of QC, or $35 for a week of QC. These would all be without a $19 start-up fee. If they require that you have a fob, I'd be willing to pay a $19 refundable deposit that I could get back when I return the fob to them.

I've heard it said that 350Green is also planning on DC fast chargers in the Washington DC area. I agree, it's tricky searching for DC fast charger in Dc, since you get lots of extraneous results.

The other thing I'm keeping my eye on are DC fast chargers that are supposed to be installed at 5 Sheetz store locations in SE Pennsylvania. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6073&hilit=sheetz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I would want one near Havre de Grace, to make the trip from Baltimore to Philly easier.

BTW, if you're in the DC area, check out the Electric Vehicle Association of Greater Washington DC, http://www.evadc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Lots of interesting folks talking lots of ev stuff!

Back