Poll : When can you order Leaf ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When can you order Leaf according to the email ?

• August

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • September

Votes: 36 37.1%
  • October

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • November

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • December

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • January

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • February

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fall 2011

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • What EMail ?

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
evnow said:
50 odd visitors but only 26 voters ?
I'm not sure if the "views" are counted as being by unique "visitors". If the thread is updated, the same member might visit more than once. Also, unregistered visitors (can't vote) may be viewing this ...

It might be nice to also list city or geographic region to see if there is any correlation between month of order and the area you live in.

most likely I am now not going to bother getting a Leaf. Reserved on 4/20/2010, availble order date: fall/winter 2011... Nissan is forcing me to not really be an early adopter, and I am now much more likely to just add the 40 mile EV pack that Plug In Conversion will have availble later THIS year (around the time of Leaf availability for west coasters). 40 miles on EV, using a 12.5KW Lithium pack (guessing they use 10KW of the pack, discharge down to %10 usable, charge to %90), guessing it will cost $12.5K, but that's still less than a Leaf, I can get it a year sooner, and I already own the 2010 Prius for the conversion.

http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=23691

older kit that PICC has out, not the Lithium model (yet):
http://www.pluginconversions.com/picc_pressrelease61009.html

mitch672 said:
most likely I am now not going to bother getting a Leaf. Reserved on 4/20/2010, availble order date: fall/winter 2011...

I felt the same way when the limited the MINI-E to NY/NJ on the right-coast. Man, that made me cheesed. Then the Volt went from theoretical 60 mi per charge to 40 mi per charge. Man, that made me cheesed. I looked into the Tesla, but there's no way I'm paying that for a car. Man, that made me cheesed.

I'm annoyed that I am a borderline range candidate, can't do 6.6kW charging, have to probably install my own EVSE, can't seem to make any progress with the HOV Easement in VA, worried about tax credits expiring want real power curve numbers and a whole bunch of other things. Not to mention having to wait until, maybe, April before I can get my hands on a LEAF. But one thing I am not with Nissan, yet, is cheesed! :)

EDIT: Also, in 2000, when my last Nissan was totaled, the Prius was on months of back-order so I had to settle for the most fuel-efficient osama-bin-lodoline guzzler. Man, that made me cheesed. Then, of course, VA closed the HOV easement to any hybrids made after 2006 when my car was too new to replace. Man, that made me cheesed!

**Heck, I have NO idea!**

I was told Fall/Winter 2011. Which makes no sense to me, why would the launch schedule have a NINE MONTH gap in scheduled launches? Especially since everything I'd read earlier indicated I'd probably see launch around April in my area??

So, I took it to the online chat to ask for clarification. Came away clear as mud. Chat outline below:

Welcome to EV Customer Support, Erica will be right with you.

Erica:
Thank you for contacting Nissan Electric Vehicle Customer Support, my name is Erica. How may I help you today, Richard?

Richard:
Hi - I just got the email that my preordered leaf would be available in "fall or winter 2011". That does mean fall 2010-winter 2011, right? (not, for example, fall of 2011, which would be nearly a year and a half from now)

Erica:
Thank you for your interest in the Nissan LEAF. I will be happy to assist you today, Richard. That e-mail is informing you that the ordering process for your Nissan LEAF will be available to you in the fall or winter of 2011.

Richard:
So not before September 2011? Over a year after it's available across the border from me in Tennessee? Can I just pick one up in Tennessee then?

Erica:
Where are you located, Richard?

Richard:
Arkansas

Erica:
One moment please while I access your account.

Richard:
no problem

Erica:
As you can imagine, the response for the Nissan LEAF has been tremendous. The Nissan LEAF order period will be staggered by state, and the timing of your reservation will hold your place. The Nissan LEAF will be made available in specific states initially in December, including Oregon, Washington, California, Arizona, Texas, Hawaii, and Tennessee. Shortly thereafter more states will be included, first rolling out to key markets in which we have partnerships such as Orlando, Florida. The Nissan LEAF will be available across the country by late 2011.

Richard:
To clarify, then, can I buy one in memphis when it is launched in Tennessee?

Erica:
Nissan advises strongly against that, Richard.

Richard:
Ok understood. Then am I correct in reading no markets are launched between December 2010 and Fall 2011 - nine months later?

Richard:
Thank you for your time - I'm sure you understand, I'm very excited about the leaf, and very disappointed to hear that the prior expectation of early 2011 is now delayed so dramatically. Thank you for answering my questions.

Erica:
That is not correct, Richard. The initial rollout of the Nissan LEAF will begin in December 2010 and will continue to rollout until the orders have been filled.

Erica:
The e-mail you received is referring to when you can place the order for your LEAF.

Richard:
Well, in this case I'm glad to hear I'm wrong! ... but I'm confused now...

Richard:
so the schedule lists states in August, September, and December, then says the remaining 36 states "start fall/winter 2011", which is 9 months later. Will some leafs (is that how you pluralize them, or is it leaves?) will be available in the other 36 states prior to September 2011?

Erica:
I regret your confusion and disappointment, Richard. Yes, we will continue to rollout the LEAF across the entire United States, beginning in December of 2010 and until late 2011. Again, the e-mail you received with the launch schedule beginning in August is referring to the launch of the order process, which is the next step of the purchase process of the Nissan LEAF.

Richard:
Ok. One last question - When I initially preordered, the form told me to expect to hear from nissan about the charging station installion in June, but I never heard anything. Should I hear something soon, or will it be closer to my area's launch?

Richard:
(either way is fine, I just want to be sure I haven't missed something)

Erica:
You will be contacted by Nissan to schedule your home assessment prior to placing the order for your LEAF. Yes, this will happen closer to the launch of the Nissan LEAF in your market area. Please check your spam and junk mail folders, for they may be sent there instead of your regular inbox.

Erica:
Is there anything else that I may assist you with today, Richard?

Richard:
Thank you, no.

Erica:
You are very welcome, Richard. Before we end our conversation, I want to ensure your needs have been met. Do you have any additional questions about what we discussed today?

Ok, what? There was obviously little point in me asking Erica any further since I'd already asked her several times and she had failed to answer, but what does that mean, that they will be rolling out elsewhere, but ordering starts in fall 2011? What, are they going to truck in the cars to sit on the lots until September when "ordering starts"?

I'm completely confused... Anybody have any clarification on what that means?

defiancecp said:

Can you update your location, so we know where you are ?

Remember the earlier roll out states just allow ordering from Aug-Jan. It will be months before all those Leafs are delivered. My guess is the other 36 states will get 2012 Leafs starting in H2 of 2011.

evnow said:
defiancecp said:

Can you update your location, so we know where you are ?

Remember the earlier roll out states just allow ordering from Aug-Jan. It will be months before all those Leafs are delivered. My guess is the other 36 states will get 2012 Leafs starting in H2 of 2011.

He said Arkansas...close to the TN border. :)

Waiting is OK. Waiting until September of next year isn't. I've been holding off on buying a car since the leaf was announced, and the loaner pickup I'm using in the meantime is approaching end of life. Head gasket is bad, and replacing it would cost more than blue-book value. But it's not so bad as to be critical, just enough that I have to change oil much more often, watch water, and it's sensitive to heat - so as long as I make it through the next month it'll be OK til next summer, but no longer than that. And I really don't want to buy another car a few months before buying a leaf, that's nonsensical.

My confusion is simply this - the email says Fall-Winter of 2011 ordering starts. Erica says yes, that's when ordering starts, but that doesn't mean I have to wait since they'll be rolling out throughout 2011... but that fall-winter is when ordering starts, which is the next step. Huh?

Well, here's to making the effort to get one in Tennessee :)

I reserved the first day possible - although it took forever because it wouldn't take my information - turned out I had to use my old zip code (I had moved).

But I'm a September order.

Back