Top Gear Gets Caught By CarWings

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

How much money does the corrupt Top Gear get from big oil ?

http://evworld.com/currents.cfm?jid=200

According to a report on the incident in the First Post, "It was all a set up." Nissan asserts they "delivered the vehicle fully charged, with enough power for 100 miles of driving."

Here's where Top Gear screwed up. Apparently they were unaware that CarWings was watching. States First Post, " But after reviewing the information gathered by the car's monitoring device, Nissan said that when Clarkson set off, the battery was more than half empty, and would have clearly shown a range of only 30 miles on the electric dashboard."

http://www.allcarselectric.com/news/1064266_top-gear-on-electric-cars-we-are-allowed-to-put-into-a-film-what-we-want-to

The fur started flying yesterday, when Nissan Senior Vice President Andy Palmer gave an interview to The Times newspaper in which he said that the all-electric hatchback had apparently been driven around in loops to force its battery to drain flat, purposely misrepresenting the car.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/8676473/Nissan-hits-back-at-Top-Gear.html

However, Nissan has responded by saying that a telematics device sent to the car company showed that the battery was only 40 per cent charged when Clarkson set off on his journey.

The company said the car had been delivered to the BBC fully charged with enough power for at least 100 miles, not the 30 undertaken by Clarkson before the battery became flat.

evnow said:
I suspect you already know this, evnow, but Top Gear is a comedy show. It would make for a pretty boring show if hijinks didn't ensue... If that's what you want, watch MotorTrend on PBS. Nobody who watches the show on a regular basis should be surprised by this. :lol:

GeekEV said:
evnow said:
I suspect you already know this, evnow, but Top Gear is a comedy show. It would make for a pretty boring show if hijinks didn't ensue... If that's what you want, watch MotorTrend on PBS. Nobody who watches the show on a regular basis should be surprised by this. :lol:
Unfortunately, Top Gear still carries weight as an editorial program as well. Simply calling yourself a "comedy show" does not fully absolve you of the need for some journalistic integrity. They rigged the vehicle to fail but nobody had any clue of it. At least with most of their other gags, it's obvious something is intentionally wrong...
=Smidge=

GeekEV said:
evnow said:

This. Although they did get into it with Tesla for a very similar reason. Anybody who takes Clarkson seriously should buy my oceanfront property in AZ. :lol:

Top Gear does in fact have good working knowledge about the performance and limitations of EV's, and extended range EV's. Just look at this amazing car they made.

Top-Gear-Hammer-Eagle-iThrust1.jpg

The Eagle iThrust Hammer, aka Geoff. :lol:

GeekEV said:
evnow said:

Then why aren't the gasoline cars they have on the show being pushed in for a "top off" for a laugh?
I mean if it's funny that someone can run out of fuel or energy then this should be a more common sight on their show...not just when it happens to be electric.

Regardless, I suppose it would make for a boring episode to say "Nothing went wrong, everything worked fine and we got from point A to point B" but it still feels personal..

Here's an interesting tidbit...

We’ve confirmed with a Nissan spokesperson that Clarkson’s Leaf was driven to empty, leaving it with just a 1.33% capacity remaining in its battery pack, meaning that the Top Gear team chose to ignore all of Nissan’s audible and visual warnings that the car needed to recharge.

So does that mean Nissan actually lets you run the battery down to 1.33% SOC? Or maybe Nissan means 1.33% in the "available capacity".

Devin said:
So does that mean Nissan actually lets you run the battery down to 1.33% SOC? Or maybe Nissan means 1.33% in the "available capacity".
Surely the latter. I find it more interesting that they knew the SOC to that detail. Suggests that Carwings gets better data than it displays.

Devin said:
Nissan actually lets you run the battery down to 1.33% SOC? Or maybe Nissan means 1.33% in the "available capacity".

Pretty sure they mean "available capacity". I would love to have SOC data with this level of granularity as well.

Stewy13 said:
Then why aren't the gasoline cars they have on the show being pushed in for a "top off" for a laugh?
While it's true they don't show conventional cars running out of gas, they are often less than kind to them and subject many to much ridicule. Many manufacturers won't even lend Top Gear a car for this very reason. They're simply playing off the general publics fears of electric cars. That particular fear simply don't exist with gas powered cars, but other fears do - and they exploit those as well.

But yes, it would be nice if they'd leave my beloved LEAF alone. ;)

Stewy13 said:
I mean if it's funny that someone can run out of fuel or energy then this should be a more common sight on their show...not just when it happens to be electric.

Regardless, I suppose it would make for a boring episode to say "Nothing went wrong, everything worked fine and we got from point A to point B" but it still feels personal..

Simply because it wouldn't be funny. It stings a bit because we love the LEAF so much, but if their show wasn't funny, it would be 5th Gear, and nobody would watch it.

Here is JC going way overboard on the faults of another car, and it's IMO hysterical. I'm sure he pissed off more than few Robin enthusiasts (not to mention what he's done to Morris Marina enthusiasts).

http://youtu.be/QQh56geU0X8

GeekEV said:
evnow said:
BS.

I very well know the difference between comedy and fraud.

If you believe everyone thinks/knows it is just a comedy show - you tell me why all the EU investors were asking Musk about the show and were doubtful of Roadster capabilities based entirely on that show.

This latest anti-ev show is going to cost them dearly in their case by Tesla. Then we will see who is laughing (though I'm sceptical about any kind of real justice out of the British courts).

GeekEV said:
I suspect you already know this, evnow, but Top Gear is a comedy show.

Bogus.

It would be good comedy if they had explained why the test was flawed, but they played it straight. Lame.
It's so much easier to spread FUD then to enlighten people.

evnow said:
However, Nissan has responded by saying that a telematics device sent to the car company showed that the battery was only 40 per cent charged when Clarkson set off on his journey. The company said the car had been delivered to the BBC fully charged with enough power for at least 100 miles, not the 30 undertaken by Clarkson before the battery became flat.
This is how Clarkson's dash looked like while he was approaching the town of Lincoln on the A46. Based on this readout and Nissan's statement that Clarkson drove the Leaf for 30 miles, it's quite plausible that he had three or four bars at the beginning of his trip.

Top%252520Gear%252520dash.png

evnow said:
I very well know the difference between comedy and fraud.

If you believe everyone thinks/knows it is just a comedy show - you tell me why all the EU investors were asking Musk about the show and were doubtful of Roadster capabilities based entirely on that show.
I'd have to argue that anyone who doesn't know its a comedy show is either and idiot or has no sense of humor. If the EU investors were using Top Gear as a source of intel then they're just rich idiots... I really don't get it. These same people probably think Monty Python and the Holy Grail was a historical documentary. :lol:

BrendanDolan said:
Simply because it wouldn't be funny. It stings a bit because we love the LEAF so much, but if their show wasn't funny, it would be 5th Gear, and nobody would watch it.
Humor relies on the contrast between expectation and appearance. By "playing into the fears" of EV range and performance, they are actually reinforcing them. YOU think it's funny because you know the truth. The general public just sees it as validation for their preconceptions.

BrendanDolan said:
Here is JC going way overboard on the faults of another car, and it's IMO hysterical.
Crucial difference: The Reliant Robin is no longer manufactured or marketed. There is nothing to lose in terms of market potential or public opinion by mocking it. It's also an absurd vehicle on its face.

Now how about they take the latest Lexus or BWM that's only just getting to market and do a gag bit about it breaking down. I'm sure that will go over well with the manufacturer.

GeekEV said:
I'd have to argue that anyone who doesn't know its a comedy show is either and idiot or has no sense of humor. If the EU investors were using Top Gear as a source of intel then they're just rich idiots...
Just like Fox News is clearly divided into "News" and "Entertainment" portions, right? ;)
=Smidge=

People have different tolerances for getting their pet oxen gored.. I find the show very entertaining with awesome production values.. and I am an EV fan.

Humor glands tend to dry up as we get older.

Smidge204 said:
BrendanDolan said:
Humor relies on the contrast between expectation and appearance. By "playing into the fears" of EV range and performance, they are actually reinforcing them. YOU think it's funny because you know the truth. The general public just sees it as validation for their preconceptions.
Well said.

It is exactly like Glen Beck pleading that he is just an entertainer. Now that Top gear is in trouble they are pleading that they are just a comedy show.

Latest posts

Back