Laguna Beach Coulomb install event - June 21 4:00pm

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Those of you who love to find one of those silver Coulomb chargers at your destination probably know there's a huge gap in the South County. South of Fashion Island, the next charge station was not till San Diego :( until now..

The situation has improved a bit with the installation of 2 combo (level 1 & 2) stations in Laguna Beach. The city is having a press event next week to mark the new installation.

Plug In America will be there (Linda and her flaming red Tesla). Bob with Guaranty Chevy will have a Volt there. The city would like to have a LEAF there. I'm sure among the members here, we can get a few LEAFs there :D

Date/Time:
Tuesday June 21 at 4:00 pm

Corner of Laguna Canyon Rd and Forrest Ave in Laguna Beach (across from the theater and close to City Hall)

Location as per ChargePoint

20110621-Laguna_Coulomb_install.jpg

Please post any interest in attending. If I get more info, I'll PM or post it here..

I will be there with our new Leaf. In fact my wife and I visited Laguna about a week ago and charged at one of the new stations. At the time I did not have my Chargepoint card so I had to call the 800 number. But in a short time we were charging away at Level 2. We plan on building another home in Laguna and look forward to moving back there after being away for so many years.
Manny :)

I wish I would have read this thread last week, or looked up chargepoint locations. We're spending the week in Laguna Beach but left the Leaf home and drove our Civic GX thinking we would not be able to charge. Great to know we can now charge in Laguna Beach. I'll try to make it.

Dang, I'll be busy, would have loved to attend.

I'm glad that some of you will be able to represent us with your LEAFs.

Take pictures!

Sweet! Laguna Beach is only a little over 60 miles from my place. I can finally plan a trip to Orange County without stressing. It would be better if someone would install some QC stations, but...

Funny you should mention this. This past Saturday I had planned a trip to the Dana Point boat show from the SouthBay and was going to use this charger to make the trip work. However it turned out my wife and daughter came along so we took my wife's car, an Audi Q7 Tdi so I didn't use it. I had no idea it was brand new.

We are going to the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach in July and were going to drive the ICE because of the distance (about 140 round trip). Perhaps we might be able to take the Leaf now.

richard, thanks so much for posting this.

I was out wandering today and I decided to check out these Chargpoints. I had a bit of a challenge finding them, despite the excellent Google photo that you provided, since I hadn't brought specific location info with me. Traffic was challenging and there are one way streets, etc, so I parked at a meter on the street and walked around til I found them.

I was looking for blue or green signs, but the signs are white on black and you have to be looking right at the parking spots to see them. They are right inside the driveway into the parking lot, just to your right as you enter. I realized that I had driven right past them as I looked forward and to my left as I entered the lot.

The other problem with the signs is that they don't specifically state that parking is free for the EVs using those charge points while charging. The signs say that there is a 4 hour parking limit per 24 hours, but not that parking is free. I wandered down to the City Hall and was eventually directed to the Recreation Dept, which manages these parking lots, apparently. They told me that parking is indeed free for EVs while charging. I left them with a comment that they need to add the word "FREE" to their signage.

The good thing about their signs is that they specifically state that vehicles not actively charging are subject to fine and towing. So these spaces should be available if they are not in use, and NO ICEs, hopefully.

My Charge Pass worked perfectly and I charged for 90 minutes while I ate lunch and walked around.

Here are some pics that I took with my phone:

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Having this free charging and free parking just a few miles away in beautiful Laguna Beach may just be the death of my healthy eating plan. I had lunch at my favorite spot, Scandia Bakery, and as you can see, the temptations are massive and evil. :twisted:

scaled.php

scaled.php

Laguna Beach is a great spot for these charge points. There are lots of things to do for a few hours, from movies to restaurants and shopping, and you could even go to the beach for four hours. It really isn't far from the parking lot.

Boomer, thanks for the great photos. We're here now. Headed over here for the drive after visiting the Farmer's Market at the Great Park. Charging is working great. Piece of cake.
I ditto your comments about the signage. Thanks for posting the info about your info after talking to the folks at City Hall. My hubby mentioned about a 'good bakery' to visit out here. And lo and behold, it's the same one you mentioned ... Saved me a Yelp search. :cool:

Guess I'll be making more weekend trips to LB eateries in the future! :p

KeiJidosha said:
I'm also planning to attend. This is close to my other favorite EV dealer, Electric Cyclery. Some test riding while I charge I think.

I'm constantly impressed with your willingness and ability to roam California in your Mini E, KeiJidosha. First the San Diego event and now the LB event!

You're an inspiration to those of us who long for a more powerful on-board charger and a source of encouragement for those who'd like to learn how to find a charge almost anywhere.

Thanks to the City of Laguna Beach and whoever else is responsible for getting these two L2 chargers installed. I certainly hope other cities and establishments consider the same to fill out the charger infrastructure. Sure seems like a certain draw for EV owners. During our 1-1/2 hr jaunt, we had sweet treats at a local bakery, patronized a local artsy store where I bought a gift for a friend, and enjoyed a nice stroll around town and the ocean breezes.

Since there is a 4-hr limit charging/parking in these spots, it precludes someone trying to take advantage of 'excessive' use, however one wants to define that. But, these chargers make for a great excuse, as if one needs one, to head the beach ... Laguna Beach, that is. :cool:

Charging up....
E0LPMl.jpg

Drinking the juice ....
Rpooyl.jpg

The juice dispenser ....
WBcCel.jpg

That Forrest Ave has a nice hill climb test just a few hundred yards past the charge station.
No worries Leaf made it up then turned around and went down just fine.

OK maybe it is 3rd street but it is one heck of a hill.

I will try to make it.

Maybe we cannot match the "bushel" of LEAFs that gathered in San Diego, but we should be able to have at least a "cluster", and maybe a "gathering" or even a "branch" of LEAFs?

Showing: 8 LEAFs (1 black, 1 blue, 2 red, 4 white, I think), 4 very sleek-looking Teslas (all red-ish), 1 Mini (came about 100 miles one way), 1 nice white "golf cart", and one "advertising-decorated" plug-in hybrid ("more car than EV", brought by a Chevy dealer).

Two ChargePoint stations being dedicated, with 4-hour max use for "EV Charging", each station with both L1 and L2.

There were about 40 or 50 people attending, from the LB mayor-lady and city council all the way down to ... me! A very enthusiastic, friendly group.

Good work LEAF-owners, we made an excellent showing. :D :D

Back