Nissan Transports Leaf EV In New Eco-Ship

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverLeaf

Nissan Transports Leaf EV In New Eco-Ship by Auto in the News on December 28, 2010

Apparently building the world’s first mass-market electric vehicle just isn’t enough to curb emissions. Nissan is also transporting its new EV in a massive ship designed to dramatically reduce emissions compared to standard transport vessels.

You can say that the ship’s spherical prow design is the world’s first. Thanks to this aerodynamic design we expect to see a substantial reduction in the ship’s fuel consumption,” said Satoshi Yako, Senior Mgr., Supply Chain Management, Nissan Motors.

SilverLeaf said:
Nissan Transports Leaf EV In New Eco-Ship by Auto in the News on December 28, 2010

Apparently building the world’s first mass-market electric vehicle just isn’t enough to curb emissions. Nissan is also transporting its new EV in a massive ship designed to dramatically reduce emissions compared to standard transport vessels.

You can say that the ship’s spherical prow design is the world’s first. Thanks to this aerodynamic design we expect to see a substantial reduction in the ship’s fuel consumption,” said Satoshi Yako, Senior Mgr., Supply Chain Management, Nissan Motors.

And as far as I read it's coming to Europe...:)...maybe my LEAF will come in it...let's just hope

The name of the ship is “The City of St. Petersburg” for anyone who does the tracking/stalking thing.
http://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/ns_bus/2010-12-27/650103987863.html

If they're still using bunker oil then the ship isn't ECO by any stretch of the imagination. Hey Nissan, you want a green ship? Then start using cleaner fuel in your ocean fleet!

Facts:

• Just one container ship emits as much particulate pollution as 50 million cars
  • Just 16 of the world’s largest ships produce as much lung-clogging sulfur pollution as all the world’s cars put together
  • IMO rules allow ships to burn fuel containing up to 4.5% sulfur; that’s 4,500 times more than is allowed in cars
  • The average car emits about 101 grams of sulfur annually compared to 5,000 tons of a large container ship
  • Cleaner low-sulfur fuel is available for ships, but it costs more - too bad shipping companies aren’t required to use it
  • The pollution from cargo ships is linked to diseases including cancer and heart disease, and estimated to cause 64,000 deaths every year

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1229857/How-16-ships-create-pollution-cars-world.html

johnr said:
[*]Just one container ship emits as much particulate pollution as 50 million cars
I've wondered whether we'll see more pollution from shipping the Leaf here than we will from powering it once it gets here. More reason to applaud the Smyrna plant.

SanDust said:
johnr said:
[*]Just one container ship emits as much particulate pollution as 50 million cars
I've wondered whether we'll see more pollution from shipping the Leaf here than we will from powering it once it gets here. More reason to applaud the Smyrna plant.

Also I'm sure TN will be happy with any additional jobs resulting in building Leafs as well, this has been their plan all along, it's not too "green" to be shipping such a high tech, green car so far, using so much fossil fuel, negates some of the "zero emmision" badging.

I don't want to get in to a slug fest but I have seen those same facts thoroughly debunked in a number of places. Modern ships are actually quite efficient and clean. Also, as of 2011, they are required to burn non-bunker fuel when within 24 miles of the coast, at least in California.

johnr said:
If they're still using bunker oil then the ship isn't ECO by any stretch of the imagination. Hey Nissan, you want a green ship? Then start using cleaner fuel in your ocean fleet!

Facts:

mogur said:
I don't want to get in to a slug fest but I have seen those same facts thoroughly debunked in a number of places.
I'd like some links.

But it is a fact that ships burn the dirtiest of oil. They have been fighting efforts to have them use better fuel for some years now. Recently EPA has announced some regulation on what they can use near the western coast.

Any thing wrong with the above ?

mogur said:
I don't want to get in to a slug fest but I have seen those same facts thoroughly debunked in a number of places. Modern ships are actually quite efficient and clean. Also, as of 2011, they are required to burn non-bunker fuel when within 24 miles of the coast, at least in California.
I was pretty confident about these facts, as several respected sources are in agreement. I cited one source but there seemed to be a consensus for the most part. So if they've been debunked then let's see some links. I hope you're right, as it sounds really bad. As for the requirement to burn low-sulfur fuel near the coast, I remember that there was tremendous opposition to the law from shipping organizations which almost kept it from passing - but yes that is a requirement now and fortunately our air will be a bit cleaner as a result. Still, burning that nasty gunk on the high seas will still ultimately get into the air we breathe. In fact some of the pollution from China's factories travels all the way across the Pacific Ocean and although it's highly diluted by this point scientists have detected it in California's air.

Back