Tesla Roadster 3.0 -- will Nissan ever do this?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubo

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/roadster-30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Combining all of these improvements we can achieve a predicted 40-50% improvement on range between the original Roadster and Roadster 3.0. There is a set of speeds and driving conditions where we can confidently drive the Roadster 3.0 over 400 miles. We will be demonstrating this in the real world during a non-stop drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles in the early weeks of 2015.

Appointments for upgrading Roadsters will be taken this spring once the new battery pack finishes safety validation. We are confident that this will not be the last update the Roadster will receive in the many years to come.

Making the original Tesla Roadster go 400 miles. Awesomeness.

Do you think anyone at Nissan will have the foresight, the balls or the enlightened self-interest to implement anything remotely comparable for LEAF Version 1?

Are there arguments against doing so? If so, do they apply to Tesla? Are they making a mistake?

Nubo said:
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/roadster-30

Combining all of these improvements we can achieve a predicted 40-50% improvement on range between the original Roadster and Roadster 3.0. There is a set of speeds and driving conditions where we can confidently drive the Roadster 3.0 over 400 miles. We will be demonstrating this in the real world during a non-stop drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles in the early weeks of 2015.

Appointments for upgrading Roadsters will be taken this spring once the new battery pack finishes safety validation. We are confident that this will not be the last update the Roadster will receive in the many years to come.

Do you think anyone at Nissan will have the foresight, the balls or the enlightened self-interest to implement anything remotely comparable for LEAF Version 1?

Are there arguments against doing so? If so, do they apply to Tesla? Are they making a mistake?

Well I do have to say as "cool" as this sounds it is pretty pointless. No sane human would drive a Roadster for 100 miles, much less 400 miles. And as for "track days" where you want the extra juice: the thermal power reduction will kick in WAY before you run out of juice.

So on paper this is cool. In reality, meh.

Now if Nissan would give an option for another 24KWs on a leaf as an upgrade I am ALL OVER IT. I don't know about others, but I'd pay $5K easy.

epirali said:
Now if Nissan would give an option for another 24KWs on a leaf as an upgrade I am ALL OVER IT. I don't know about others, but I'd pay $5K easy.
Do you mean $5K above the $6K original battery replacement price that 85% of people with a LEAF will need (the other 15% may have gotten a no cost replacement of the original) :?:

TimLee said:
epirali said:
Do you mean $5K above the $6K original battery replacement price that 85% of people with a LEAF will need (the other 15% may have gotten a no cost replacement of the original) :?:

Speaking for myself, I'd seriously consider refurbishing an old LEAF if I could upgrade it to a 48kWh pack for $11K.

There are plenty of people who take road trips in a Tesla Roadster, so the added range is most welcome. You can verify this for yourself by reading some of the responses to Tesla's blog post in Tesla's forum and also the Teslamotorsclub forum.

I don't believe that Nissan would ever even consider this option, but I hope I'm wrong about that. The Tesla is bound to be a collectors car and so people are willing to spend money to maintain it to a high standard. At this point the Leaf is not bound to be a collectors item, and so spending what will likely be $40k on a new pack and aero package (to reach 250+ miles per charge) for the Leaf is not in the cards. Putting $40k into a Roadster is probably going to be a good investment for those that do it.

palmermd said:
There are plenty of people who take road trips in a Tesla Roadster, so the added range is most welcome. You can verify this for yourself by reading some of the responses to Tesla's blog post in Tesla's forum and also the Teslamotorsclub forum.

I don't believe that Nissan would ever even consider this option, but I hope I'm wrong about that. The Tesla is bound to be a collectors car and so people are willing to spend money to maintain it to a high standard. At this point the Leaf is not bound to be a collectors item, and so spending what will likely be $40k on a new pack and aero package (to reach 250+ miles per charge) for the Leaf is not in the cards. Putting $40k into a Roadster is probably going to be a good investment for those that do it.

I am sure the people who participate and post in the forum would welcome it. And yes it does maintain momentum to the Roadster (not dead yet). As for collector car, that remains to be seen. I personally will never upgrade to the 400 mile range.

Putting $11-12K on the other hand for a car I drive every day and could use very well is worth it. Even if I got no credit for existing pack (which seems dubious if you could "trade in" and get a pack) it would still be something to think about.

As part of the improvement, Tesla says they've improved the Coefficient of Rolling Resistance by 20%.

I was wondering if anybody know what tires they're using for that?

It is more than just tires... They are substituting low friction wheel bearings and the like...

sub3marathonman said:
As part of the improvement, Tesla says they've improved the Coefficient of Rolling Resistance by 20%.
I was wondering if anybody know what tires they're using for that?

epirali said:
No sane human would drive a Roadster for 100 miles, much less 400 miles. And as for "track days" where you want the extra juice: the thermal power reduction will kick in WAY before you run out of juice.

The first time I saw a Roadster I asked the driver about the range. He said he had just driven in from Seattle, WA. I'm in Portland, OR so he had driven about 170 miles. So Roadster owners do drive them longer distances.

palmermd said:

no need for $40K. The Tesla roadster was a 100K car to begin with so you are talking 40%. Apply 40% to the Leaf cost and you are talking more like $10K to $15K.

Nissan doesn't need to make an exact round number of miles, they don't have to do the aero and suspension mods. They could just offer a battery upgrade.

Even then I don't expect it to happen.

Why not? Nissan makes the best selling EV and been making a great sports car/roadster for many years. Lo

apvbguy said:
Nubo said:
can you say vaporware?

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/roadster-road-trip-update-san-jose-los-angeles-single-charge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For our first test outing, we evaluated the prototype package on a historic route down the I-5 from our first Tesla store in San Jose to the Santa Monica Pier (via the Tesla Store on the 3rd Street Promenade), a distance of approximately 340 miles.

The trip was smooth, with no disruptions. On the highway, we set cruise control to stay right around the speed limit. We turned on the heater for a 40-minute stretch going over the Grapevine. And less than six hours from leaving San Jose, we pulled into the Santa Monica Pier, with 20 miles remaining in the battery pack.

Back