Communication About Charging Station at Work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpa2825

Hoping to get some help here. I think I've done the hard part. I convinced my employer to get the Landlord to install a charging station during our last lease negotiations. We have 2 floors of a 4 floor building with some reserved parking spaces. I negotiated a 1 stand, 2 cord Clipper Creek L2 station that is not networked. 1 cord points toward a reserved spot that I use. The other cord points at a publicly available spot(s). (This is on the corner of the building, so 2 reserved spots and 2 public spots are easily reachable by either cord.)

The cord that points to the reserved spot is metered to us directly. The other cord is metered to the common area of the building (like lights in the lobby, elevator, outlets in the lobby, etc.) and are eventually divided up and paid for by the tenants of the building.

I am working with the Landlord to make sure they properly sign the public space(s) for EV so the spaces don't get ICEd. I assume the Landlord is going to permit anyone to charge in those spots and not mark it "For Tenants Only," but I won't know until the signage goes up.

What I am most interested in is signage for our cord & communications to our employees about the availability.

SIGNAGE - something like "For COMPANY employees. If you have questions about charging, please contact NUMBER or [email protected]." I am willing to put my work # on there to answer the questions when they come in and can probably get the [email protected] email set up and routed to me. If a non-employee is in need of a charge, I would be willing to move my car to allow them to charge. I suspect the requests will be fairly infrequent. I would put the same info on PlugShare when I add the 2 cords. Seems reasonable to me to restrict it and sign it as such since we negotiated its existence and are directly paying the electric.

COMMUNICATION - I want to send an email announcement to all employees in the company headquarters to let them know the chargers exist and the protocol / etiquette for using them. Guidelines would be to use the public charger 1st, if available, and to use proper etiquette when doing so (don't charge there every day [i.e., don't consider it your main charger], use only as much / long as you need, move car when finished, be courteous to others, leave a note, etc.). Second point would be to contact me if the public charger is unavailable and you need a charge. I will move my car and allow you to charge under the same guidelines (don't charge there every day [i.e., don't consider it your main charger], use only as much / long as you need, move car when finished, be courteous to others, leave a note, etc.). Also want to encourage them to contact me if they are considering a pure EV or a plug-in / hybrid car to discuss. Finally, I would like to start the communication off with COMPANY is an environmentally friendly corporate citizen and, as such, we installed the chargers. YADA, YADA, YADA. We do lots of Earth Day activities and sell several products that are linked to environmental issues (stormwater filters, stormwater filtration, wastewater treatment self-contained units, stormwater detention systems, culvert / pipe reline, culvert pipe, bridges, etc.), so this is not a stretch for us.

When I looked online, there was a plethora of materials on how to ask your employer to install an EV charging station. Just could not find much about communications from employers to their employees after the charging stations had been insalled. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: it helped / helps that our CEO recently got a Tesla and parks a few spots away from my Leaf!!!

I would suggest a phone number of : Your Company "SwitchBoard", receptionist, Security, Admin, A main number that will not change, and will generaly be staffed durring biz hours. They can then refer the call to the EV contact (you), or whatever procedure you want to setup with them. (2nd "Company" car should go in the "extra" space next to you)

Email is nice, but no one sitting in there car is going to send a Email. ... But I would suggest a email address of [email protected] or something like that incase they put a EV at 2nd site 3rd...

I would make a simple one pager (Tri-Fold) with protocol / etiquette get one of the covered plastic type holder and put it on the charger post.

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Brochure-Mounting-Literature-Dispenser/dp/B00945JDFK/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1408464525&sr=8-16&keywords=plastic+trifold" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bob said:
How will your company manage the problem of non-employees trying to use the station?

Bob

Assume you mean trying to our the cord that is dedicated to COMPANY employees only? If so, there are really only 2 public parking spaces where the COMPANY cord will reach. 1 of those should be marked as EV only and the person in that spot would presumably use the PUBLIC cord before using the COMPANY cord. The other spaces are clearly marked RESERVED FOR COMPANY and we haven't previously had any problem with people parking in those spots.

That said, if I noticed someone charging from our cord in a public spot, I would probably drop a note on the windshield asking them to comply with the directions on the charger to contact me before doing so again. If they contact me, I would let them charge if it was an "emergent" situation, but not a "convenience" situation.

If someone parked in a RESERVED spot and was charging from our cord, my message would be slightly more stern in character. :)

Back