California adds 15,000 Green HOV stickers to program

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via insideevs.com:

"California Ups HOV Green Sticker Program By 15,000 to 55,000 Total"

http://insideevs.com/california-ups-hov-green-sticker-program-15000-55000-total/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Expect PHEV sales to spike for a few months until they're gone. Sigh, more PiPs.

And as if that isn't bad enough, AB 2013 working it's way through the legislature would increase it by another 15,000 to 70,000. Absolutely asinine!

TomT said:
And as if that isn't bad enough, AB 2013 working it's way through the legislature would increase it by another 15,000 to 70,000. Absolutely asinine!
Per the article, unless they've changed it AB2013 says it's to be raised to 85,000 total, i.e. from 40k (55k now).

RegGuheert said:
Why? Is HOV getting pretty crowded these days? (Serious question.)
A quick search for "California HOV Lane congestion" didn't turn up anything useful. Anecdotal comments of congestion can be found at the insideevs.com article link.

Two reasons:

1) In southern California at least, the HOV lanes are very crowded.
2) Rewarding vehicles like the PiP with its laughable electric-only range, is counter-productive to the goals of HOV lane admission. They should require a minimum electric-only range of 35 miles (via the EPA test) to qualify for a green sticker... (PiP vehicles should have a bumper sticker that says, "Caution. I stop at every outlet.")

RegGuheert said:
TomT said:
Absolutely asinine!
Why? Is HOV getting pretty crowded these days? (Serious question.)

70K according to the bill mockup as of June 2014... It appears that it was originally 85K and carried emergency status (which is ludicrous in itself)... http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
TomT said:
Per the article, unless they've changed it AB2013 says it's to be raised to 85,000 total, i.e. from 40k (55k now).

No doubt this is being done at the behest of the car manufacturers, especially those who produce more PHEVs than BEVs. It would especially benefit sales of the Prius Plug-in and Accord Plug-in, with their paltry EV-only ranges.

As far as the question about California's HOV lanes being crowded...from my own experience, the HOV lane on the eastbound 210 freeway from Pasadena eastward moves no quicker in the afternoon than the regular lane. I don't know about westbound as I don't travel on that freeway in the morning.

TomT said:
1) In southern California at least, the HOV lanes are very crowded.
I spoke to the legendary Dianne of Carson Toyota in the past few weeks and she mentioned that as well.

I can't really speak for Nor Cal as I commute when the HOV lane restrictions are lifted anyway.

Back