2014 Mar Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 2507, Volt 1478

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Monthly-Plugins.png

Totals-Plugins.png

Totals-Plugins-table.png

Potentially interesting month.

Cadillac ELR inventory is up around 1000. That is nuts for a car selling around 50 per month. They already have 1-2 years supply. They're going to have to have a fire sale to clear them.

Chevy Volt inventory has increased 110 units over the month so far. Its possible Volt production is running slow due to the factory producing the ELR instead. An inventory increase indicates slow sales are possible for the month.

Nissan Leaf inventory is down 577 units this month despite supposed increased production to 2700/month. This implies very strong sales up to 3200. However, there's also the rumor that the line has been shut down as they switch the battery chemistry, so its possible sales aren't as strong as otherwise indicated.

Overall, I'm guessing...
ELR 75
Volt 1500
LEAF 2500

If the numbers are anywhere near correct, the LEAF will continue its sales lead over the Volt. The LEAF has been outselling the Volt since August 2013 (October was a virtual tie). I don't expect the Volt to catch up unless they redesign, improve, or drop the price again. Meanwhile with the LEAF, I spoke with a high-level manager who said the hot battery is supposed to start shipping at the end of April. And he confirmed that Nissan will release a higher capacity battery, but he didn't acknowledge (or maybe know) the pricing and timing, but he warned the price might be higher than expected.

dm33 said:
Cadillac ELR inventory is up around 1000. That is nuts for a car selling around 50 per month. They already have 1-2 years supply. They're going to have to have a fire sale to clear them.
At least if they mark them down several thousand dollars, they're probably still making money!
Nissan Leaf inventory is down 577 units this month despite supposed increased production to 2700/month. This implies very strong sales up to 3200. However, there's also the rumor that the line has been shut down as they switch the battery chemistry, so its possible sales aren't as strong as otherwise indicated.
I wonder if there was a run on Leafs in Atlanta since everyone thought it would be the last month for the GA subsidy?

dm33 said:
Meanwhile with the LEAF, I spoke with a high-level manager who said the hot battery is supposed to start shipping at the end of April. And he confirmed that Nissan will release a higher capacity battery, but he didn't acknowledge (or maybe know) the pricing and timing, but he warned the price might be higher than expected.
Any info on whether the "hot" battery will be a regional release or put into all new Leafs? Any info on whether a higher capacity battery can be retrofitted to existing Leafs?

Stoaty said:
dm33 said:
Meanwhile with the LEAF, I spoke with a high-level manager who said the hot battery is supposed to start shipping at the end of April. And he confirmed that Nissan will release a higher capacity battery, but he didn't acknowledge (or maybe know) the pricing and timing, but he warned the price might be higher than expected.
Any info on whether the "hot" battery will be a regional release or put into all new Leafs? Any info on whether a higher capacity battery can be retrofitted to existing Leafs?
He said it would be a nationwide release. He said the battery is already different between the 2011/2012 and the 2013/2014. He said it would be midstream change and is just an electrolyte change (not sure I believe that). Sounds like it will come in the 2013/2014 form factor but not sure about being replaceable in earlier LEAFs.

adric22 said:
I wonder if there was a run on Leafs in Atlanta since everyone thought it would be the last month for the GA subsidy?
That is quite possible. How many did Nissan send to Atlanta ?

I'm sorry, but I always have to take such source reports with a huge grain of salt, They have turned out to be wrong far more often than right...

dm33 said:

I'll guess 2118 LEAFs for March.

I'd expect April sales to be slow while people wait for the new battery, and even slower by the end of the year in anticipation of a higher range model.

dm33 said:
He said it would be a nationwide release. He said the battery is already different between the 2011/2012 and the 2013/2014. He said it would be midstream change and is just an electrolyte change (not sure I believe that). Sounds like it will come in the 2013/2014 form factor but not sure about being replaceable in earlier LEAFs.
Well, aside from packaging tweaks on the '13-14 pack to reduce cost/weight, it's also been said that the chemistry was tweaked, too, but that shouldn't have changed the performance of the pack from the '11-12 LEAF.

In theory (and it's been claimed, too) the '13-14 modules are interchangeable with the '11-12 modules even with the packaging tweaks as that was one of the design goals.

Given that it's been stated that owners who get their pack replaced due to premature capacity loss before the hot pack is released would get a voucher for a hot pack at a later date, one would have to assume that it's possible to get the hot pack chemistry into the '11-12 LEAFs.

Well, one can hope, anyway.

The electrolyte definitely plays a huge part in how the battery ages and the right combination of additives to the electrolyte can make a huge difference in how fast the electrolyte oxidizes.

March sales for Nissan LEAF, 2507. Best sales month ever (so says the article. December 2013 was 2529 sales).

GM sales delayed.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091199_plug-in-electric-sales-in-march" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2507 is a big number ! especially considering the tough March weather we had here in the east and other areas!

lets hope nissan isnt letting it go to there heads, and is hard at work on a much improved Leaf.
150 mile EPA, more power, better styling.

dm33 said:
March sales for Nissan LEAF, 2507. Best sales month ever (so says the article. December 2013 was 2529 sales).
You need a more reliable source. :)

http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-sales-march-2014-continue-to-soar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There it's quoted as second best sales month as it should be.

drees said:
dm33 said:
You need a more reliable source. :)

http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-sales-march-2014-continue-to-soar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There it's quoted as second best sales month as it should be.

Solid sales, considering the Tax-credit-rush-effect last December, and one-day-short "month" in the 3/14 over 3/13 comp.

...Editor’s note: Data on a raw-volume basis, unadjusted for 26 selling days in March 2014 versus 27 selling days in March 2013...

More significantly, the lower inventory reported indicates LEAF sales could be (how much?) higher if not still production-constrained:

...Even though new production levels are online, national inventory levels fell slightly in March...

Back