2014 Mar Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 2507, Volt 1478

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After announcing a short delay “due to a computer systems issue that impacted dealer sales reporting”, General Motors announced that they sold 1,478 Chevy Volts in March – which is exactly the same number of cars they sold a year ago this month.

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-volt-sales-flat-in-march/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I'd really like to see is a breakdown by state, to see how much effect the approaching end of green stickers in Ca. and the last minute avoidance of ending the Ga. rebate had on sales both YoY and vs. the previous month.

evnow, don't you normally do a summary post/graphs.

Looks like Ford did OK with 1,509 (899+610). 4,439 PHEV/EREVs (Volt,PIP,Energi); 0 Tesla Model X's - can't wait!

http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2014-sales-chart-mar-final-750x431.png

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I'll guess 2118 LEAFs for March.

I'd expect April sales to be slow while people wait for the new battery, and even slower by the end of the year in anticipation of a higher range model.
Most buyers aren't aware of either.

LTLFTcomposite said:
KJD said:
The Volt numbers look pretty bad. Is it time for gen 2 release ?
It's time for GM to put voltec in a small CUV.
Can't get something for nothing. The Volt has such little interior space and low ceiling to improve aerodynamics. A larger, taller CUV will have much worse fuel efficiency and worse electric range.
Its not obvious what GM's next move should be. I think they need a radical change, not a Volt tweak.

I propose that PHEVs are not cost effective. Dual drive trains adds cost, takes up space, adds weight and can't be as good an ICE as an ICE and can't be as good a BEV as a BEV. Sales of individual BEVs are far better than PHEVs, yet manufacturers are coming out with many PHEVs sold nationwide but will only sell BEVs in California.

Time to adapt Volt system to a Suburban IMO. This electric stuff needs to jump up to the big vehicles instead of competing with econoboxes.

They appear to be following the same pattern they did in introducing hybrids. 1) They started with the hybrid only Prius and Insight. 2) And then gradually the mainstream versions became available as hybrids, e.g., the Camry and Civic. 3) Now you can find a decent selection of hybrid SUVs, both small and large.

1) Currently, there are mostly EV-only models, e.g., Leaf, Model S, i3. 2) But now EV versions of normal ICE vehicles are showing up, e.g., the FFE, Spark, 500e, B-Class. 3) NV200e, ??

I concur that we need to get there. I'm not aware of any upcoming entries for step 3 other than the NV200e.

KJD said:
The Volt numbers look pretty bad. Is it time for gen 2 release ?
The Volt has nationwide competition (from Ford) in its price/size range, while the LEAF essentially doesn't (Ford doesn't advertise the Focus, and it lacks a QC option in any case. Smart is just too much of a niche of a niche). We'll have to see how Kia and VW price their cars, and when/if they go nationwide.

Among sub-$35k base MSRP PEVs, PHEVs are beating BEVs handily, 4,439 to 3,109 if you include all the compliance BEVs, although I expect PiP sales will drop considerably with the ending of green stickers in Ca - Volts/Energis provide more green 'value' than the PiP aside from the stickers, so I don't expect to see as big a drop off among them. I think it's doubtful that the 2014 iMiEV can make up the difference, although I do expect its sales to increase considerably, and we'll have to see how much of that cannibalizes LEAF sales.

GRA said:
Smart is just too much of a niche of a niche

There is some truth to this.
Smart Electric Drive sold 25% of the total Fortwo's in March 2014.
That is a massive percentage more than Ford sold of the Focus EV compared to the ICE.

Meaning, if you are looking to buy a city car like the Fortwo, then you are far more likely to buy the electric version, especially when the cost difference is very little factoring in the rebates and savings on fuel.

Now, I'll grant the Fortwo is not for everyone, as I completely dismissed the car after a quick bit of research a few years ago, when it was clear the gas model had a poorly rated transmission and was not particularly thrifty on gas compared to a Prius. But the availability of the 3rd generation Smart Electric Drive last year changed my mind.

One test drive in this car was enough to make me buy it on the spot! And this after test driving the Volt the week before!

My wife prefers the Smart over her Mercedes SUV for going to the store and school runs when it's in the driveway (days I'm working from home & weekends).

It's not for everyone, but 90% of the people I talk to are very encouraging and supportive of my purchase.

LTLFTcomposite said:
It's time for GM to put voltec in a small CUV.

Agreed.

If the Volt was a little bit bigger or in SUV form, I would have bought one instead of my Mercedes GLK350 which is terrible on gas, but is the right form factor and safety in the winter.

Instead, after we test drove the Volt, I test drove a Smart Fortwo Electric Drive and bought one same day.

Will look at Tesla Model X or some plugin EV/ICE SUV in 3 years time.

Yes, the Smart Electric is a good option. I too test drove the ICE ForTwo and did not like the transmission. The electric version fixed that.

If our family was just 2 instead of 3, the Smart would have been a serious contender. Since all 3 of us can go places in the Leaf, we do a lot more EV mileage than we would if I had gone with the Smart. Also, I found that the Leaf had a more solid drive feel to it, probably due to the longer wheelbase.

I'm glad to see more options come to market as different people have different needs/interests. So more choices available should translate to more EVs actually on the road.

Final numbers. After a few months, BEVs beat PHEVs again - but that can change depending on what Tesla reports.

Monthly-Plugins.png

Totals-Plugins.png

Totals-Plugins-table.png

smkettner said:
Any chance fuel cell vehicles will get added to the chart?
Is the Hyundai Tucson available yet?
Fuel cell is not a plugin - but we could track it separately.

But they will again be a bunch of compliance cars sold in a state or two. So, I'm sure the numbers look like rest of the compliance cars.

Just as an interesting talking point.. I was doing a little math with the Cmax Energi and Fusion Energi..

Did you know that 26.5% of all Cmax's sold last month were the Energi model? That's basically 1 out of 4 cars. That's pretty amazing. The story is quite different with the Fusion. Only 2.7%, so basically like 1 out of 36 cars.

SmartElectric said:
GRA said:
Smart is just too much of a niche of a niche

There is some truth to this.
Smart Electric Drive sold 25% of the total Fortwo's in March 2014.
That is a massive percentage more than Ford sold of the Focus EV compared to the ICE.

Meaning, if you are looking to buy a city car like the Fortwo, then you are far more likely to buy the electric version, especially when the cost difference is very little factoring in the rebates and savings on fuel.

Now, I'll grant the Fortwo is not for everyone, as I completely dismissed the car after a quick bit of research a few years ago, when it was clear the gas model had a poorly rated transmission and was not particularly thrifty on gas compared to a Prius. But the availability of the 3rd generation Smart Electric Drive last year changed my mind.

One test drive in this car was enough to make me buy it on the spot! And this after test driving the Volt the week before!

My wife prefers the Smart over her Mercedes SUV for going to the store and school runs when it's in the driveway (days I'm working from home & weekends).

It's not for everyone, but 90% of the people I talk to are very encouraging and supportive of my purchase.
Yes. for those urban/close suburban dwellers who look at their real needs (and usually own another car), a two place city car makes a fair amount of sense for local commutes and errands. Unfortunately, the people for whom short city cars are most valuable are the same people who are least likely to have access to charging - apartment dwellers who have to parallel park on the street. Unless they have daytime charging available, electric city cars just don't work for them. San Francisco has just that problem. Car sharing can help, but only if there are dedicated parking/charging spots within easy walking distance of where people live.

adric22 said:
Did you know that 26.5% of all Cmax's sold last month were the Energi model? That's basically 1 out of 4 cars. That's pretty amazing. The story is quite different with the Fusion. Only 2.7%, so basically like 1 out of 36 cars.
Interesting. Ofcourse, C-Max is hybrid only - fusion comes in both gas & hybrid versions.

Back