LEAF is NOT based on the Versa!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRONZ

I could not help but notice all the posts about the LEAF being based on the Versa. This is NOT correct! The LEAF is a clean sheet design by Nissan. It is NOT based on the Versa. The source of this confusion is the fact that Nissan tested early LEAF drivetrain components in Versa's. Unfortunately these test cars were used at very public drive events, R&D crash tests and got alot of press as Nissan developed the LEAF. This early PR has created alot of confusion about the LEAFs new structure. One look at the underside of both cars proves the two have nothing in common. The LEAF is a fully integrated EV and totally NEW design.

I will add links as I come across them in the future;

http://hybridcarsbattery.info/new-nissan-leaf-battery-electric-car-in-depth-vehicle-introduction-video
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Video:-Ben-Collins-Reviews-Nissan-Leaf.html

This article (like others) states that the Versa EV's actually had full LEAF chassis/drivetrains underneath and ONLY a Versa body shell.
http://www.insideline.com/nissan/leaf/2011/2011-nissan-leaf-prototype-japan-first-drive.html

TRONZ said:
I could not help but notice all the posts about the LEAF being based on the Versa. This is NOT correct! The LEAF is a clean sheet design by Nissan. It is NOT based on the Versa. The source of this confusion is the fact that Nissan tested early LEAF drivetrain components in Versa's. Unfortunately these test cars were used at very public drive events, R&D crash tests and got alot of press as Nissan developed the LEAF. This early PR has created alot of confusion about the LEAFs new structure. One look at the underside of both cars proves the two have nothing in common. The LEAF is a fully integrated EV and all new design.

If this thread is redundant, feel free to merge or delete.

If you know a thread is redundant then post where you saw the other posts rather than create extra work for mods. This is the reason threads are being locked. Threads are not supposed to be one-line announcement agents, if there were so many posts then you should post with them.

I haven't seen anyone think the LEAF was based on the Versa. :?: The mule was based on the Versa, not the same thing at all.

TRONZ said:
Ya Vol! :roll:

In order to keep the forum easier to follow for everyone we requested that people post in even somewhat relative areas and not start new threads just because it is easier. You just admitted you saw multiple posts on the subjects but chose not to post in those areas. I suppose you can be snarky about it and people can wonder why the mods are just locking and merging threads, which I did not do here, or you could be courteous as a poster and post to the topic you cited so people can follow your point. If forum members choose just start a thread on any thought or question this forum is going to get really painful to follow in general and will turn into a giant Q&A board. Mods don't get paid for cleaning up posts and in time if the problem can't be self regulated at least for the worst offenders I would guess some will just stop moderating and allow users to dig through the many duplicate topics. The Aptera forum needed very little moderation in this area, more spam related, I'm not sure why this forum has these issues but I suspect it will get worse with the popularity of the Leaf. Everyone has a right to their opinion here but let's try and make it a bit easier to follow. I assume most Leaf buyers are adults.

^ +1
I'm seeing a lot of redundant topics lately and it's getting out of hand.

Regarding the Leaf, yes TRONZ you're right that it is built as an EV from the ground up. But it does resemble the Versa - the general size and shape is similar.

Personally I think this is a useful thread for the newbies. There is a general myth out there that Leaf is Versa based - so a locked sticky with the right links might be useful.

Thank You EVNOW. I have stated on multiple threads the facts about the Versa/LEAF connection but it has now just turned into "Whack-a-Mole". I informed three people about this simple fact, on three different threads, today alone! Sorta have better things to do that comb through threads copy pasting this simple fact. :roll: SOOOOOO, I guess its "News" to some that the LEAF is not really a Versa. But now, more than ever, it is important to make people aware of this fact due to the Versa's poor 2011 crash test rating. The LEAF is an all new certified Nissan platform and the basis for other future EV's.

Good Titles for threads, and keeping to the title subject is more important than lots of specific subjects and questions being lumped together into some general-subject thread that becomes far too long for anybody to read through. If that was best, we could just have two threads, "Leaf Stuff" and "Other".

Suggestion:
Start one thread for "Moderator Gripes" and stop posting off-topic over and over again, cross-posting the same complaints in many different threads.

garygid said:
Good Titles for threads, and keeping to the title subject is more important than lots of specific subjects and questions being lumped together into some general-subject thread that becomes far too long for anybody to read through. If that was best, we could just have two threads, "Leaf Stuff" and "Other".

Suggestion:
Start one thread for "Moderator Gripes" and stop posting off-topic over and over again, cross-posting the same complaints in many different threads.

Im with Gary :!: I do NOT think it is good to post the same information, especially off topic, repeatedly... why I started this thread... which was then sent off topic :cry: . Ratz, can't win! OK, back OT;

Found this little interesting tidbit - The Versa uses the same platform that underpins Renault's Clio, one of Europe's most popular subcompacts.

Depends on what 'based on' means... Car companies reuse components across different models whenever possible. The cost savings in design, testing, manufacture, and spares stock are simply too great not to. So... The Versa and Clio are pretty much the same vehicle except for badging and some other minor bits. The Fluence ZE is a retro-fitted CE Fluence. The engineers took a Fluence and shoe-horned what is essentially the Leaf drivetrain in to it, modifying body/suspension/other where necessary. The Leaf is technically a new build but does, based on what I've been told, share many body panels and numerous other components with the Versa/Clio. The engineers likely designed new where they needed and grabbed parts off the Clio shelf whenever they could.

As to whether it will have the same safety rating as the Versa we don't know and won't until it's tested. My guess is that it will be very close unless the engineers specifically focused a lot of their efforts on specifically making it extra safe which I doubt since their focus was likely on just making an electric vehicle that was functional and manufacturable and since higher weight becomes a component of a safer car but lighter weight is rather critical to an EV.

SkiTundra said:
...based on what I've been told, share many body panels and numerous other components with the Versa/Clio.

Whoever told told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. According to Nissan, it shares no body panels or major structural elements with the Versa/Clio. There may be some components shared, just like there are shared components between the Altima and Titan, but they do not share the same platform-- fundamentally not the same car.

SkiTundra said:
The Leaf is technically a new build but does, based on what I've been told, share many body panels and numerous other components with the Versa/Clio

Told by whom ?

See ex-Stig's Leaf review. IIRC, he specifically mentions Leaf doesn't share any part with any other car.

TRONZ,

As I wrote earlier, this thread would be more useful if you can give a few links that prove the point.

SkiTundra said:
Depends on what 'based on' means... Car companies reuse components across different models whenever possible. The cost savings in design, testing, manufacture, and spares stock are simply too great not to. So... The Versa and Clio are pretty much the same vehicle except for badging and some other minor bits. The Fluence ZE is a retro-fitted CE Fluence. The engineers took a Fluence and shoe-horned what is essentially the Leaf drivetrain in to it, modifying body/suspension/other where necessary. The Leaf is technically a new build but does, based on what I've been told, share many body panels and numerous other components with the Versa/Clio. The engineers likely designed new where they needed and grabbed parts off the Clio shelf whenever they could.

As to whether it will have the same safety rating as the Versa we don't know and won't until it's tested. My guess is that it will be very close unless the engineers specifically focused a lot of their efforts on specifically making it extra safe which I doubt since their focus was likely on just making an electric vehicle that was functional and manufacturable and since higher weight becomes a component of a safer car but lighter weight is rather critical to an EV.

Thank You for making my point... and why I started this thread. ;)

@ evnow; I have started adding links to my first post. Everyone else, feel free to add to the thread w. links as you come across them.

Back