New Survey Out (Online Research Panel)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the following email in my inbox and I took the new survey. It gave extensive information on driving range under various conditions and scenarios, then asked me if I found that info helpful and if I had seen it before. Then there was an interesting section on a pair of new EPA window stickers that they are considering to display at dealerships. The survey asked which of the two new labels I preferred.

In the last few weeks you volunteered to become a member of the Nissan LEAF Online Research Panel. As a member of this panel, you are in a unique position to help shape the future of the Nissan LEAF and electric vehicle industry.

In July, we used the input from prospective Nissan LEAF owners to provide a standard 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty on the battery. Without your feedback, this important action may not have been possible.

As a member of the research panel, we invite you to participate in a 15 minute survey. In addition to providing Nissan with valuable feedback, we hope that this survey provides you with some additional information and insights into the Nissan LEAF. Please follow the link below to take the survey.

Thank you again for your participation,
Nissan North America

I got the email and completed the survey.

Lots of interesting range and battery life info (nothing new, just presented in a three-page format).

This all works for me. I can't wait to get my Cayenne Red 2011 Nissan LEAF.

I got it and filled it out...but mostly I was just thinking that the only email I want from Nissan right now is one telling me my dashboard is open.

Gavin

I also got the Survey Email and just completed the survey;
1. about what is holding up my ordering, and AV situation
2. about their range-related information
3. about the EPA stickers being considered

I got the survey and filled it out quick.

I didn't find anything in there that was new info for me but I took some of the information and sent it on to my wife to just quiz her on how much of this stuff she has been taking in. She is coming along for the ride (so to speak) on this one and I realize she may not be as aware so I'm sharing.

WWBD said:
Just got the following email in my inbox and I took the new survey. It gave extensive information on driving range under various conditions and scenarios, then asked me if I found that info helpful and if I had seen it before. Then there was an interesting section on a pair of new EPA window stickers that they are considering to display at dealerships. The survey asked which of the two new labels I preferred.

In the last few weeks you volunteered to become a member of the Nissan LEAF Online Research Panel. As a member of this panel, you are in a unique position to help shape the future of the Nissan LEAF and electric vehicle industry.

In July, we used the input from prospective Nissan LEAF owners to provide a standard 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty on the battery. Without your feedback, this important action may not have been possible.

As a member of the research panel, we invite you to participate in a 15 minute survey. In addition to providing Nissan with valuable feedback, we hope that this survey provides you with some additional information and insights into the Nissan LEAF. Please follow the link below to take the survey.

Thank you again for your participation,
Nissan North America

Someone beat you to it! There's already a thread about it. ;)

Got my survey - and the "It's Time To Request A Quote" email. Woo Hoo!

Range info from the Survey:

Section 1: Range fundamentals

Your Nissan LEAF is built to go 100 miles on a single charge*

How far you’ll go will depend on a number of variables

Depending on the conditions, when your battery is new your range may vary anywhere from 138 - 62 miles. Range is most affected by:

• Climate control – the more extreme the temperature is outside, the more energy used to heat or cool the cabin.
• Speed – higher speeds require much more energy to overcome air resistance.
• Driving style – smooth acceleration and deceleration will extend range while aggressive acceleration and deceleration will decrease range.
• Cargo and topography – number of passengers or heavy cargo and driving up steep long inclines will reduce range.

There are an infinite number of range scenarios**, based on many variables. Here are just a few, starting with the EPA LA4 test cycle:

EPA LA4 test cycle: 100 miles

The Nissan LEAF has been tested under the EPA Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule, a laboratory test commonly called the LA4 test cycle, which represents city driving conditions. Top speed is 56.7 mph and average speed is 19.59 mph. Ambient temperature can vary from 68 - 86 degrees. Climate control is off. The Nissan LEAF easily achieved 100 miles.

Ideal driving conditions: 138 miles

Speed: Constant 38 mph
Temperature: 68 degrees
Climate control: Off
Driving on a flat road at a constant 38 mph means less air resistance, and therefore less energy use. And at 68 degrees, there’s no need for climate control, extending the range even further. The result: a range boost up to 138 miles.

Suburban driving on a nice day: 105 miles

Speed: Average 24 mph
Temperature: 72 degrees
Climate control: Off
The average speed in this scenario is 24 mph; common when commuting and running errands. The ambient temperature is 72 degrees and the climate control is off. Not using the air conditioner and driving at slower speeds mean less energy use and a little extra range.

Highway driving in the summer: 70 miles

Speed: Average 55 mph
Temperature: 95 degrees
Climate control: On
Averaging 55 mph on the highway, in 95 degree weather, with the air conditioning on high may produce range figures like this. Higher speeds require more energy to overcome air resistance. Running the air conditioner means energy that could be used to increase range instead goes to cooling the car.

Cross-town commute on a hot day: 68 miles

Speed: Average 49 mph
Temperature: 110 degrees
Driving from a rural area into the city at an average 49 mph with the a/c on high may produce this range. Under these conditions, climate control combined with higher-speed driving produces increased energy consumption, hence the effect on range.

Winter, urban stop-and-go, traffic jam: 62 miles

Speed: Average 15 mph
Temperature: 14 degrees
Though the average speed is only 15 mph with stop-and-go traffic, the 14-degree temperature means the heater is doing a lot of work so you spend considerable time and energy heating your car rather than moving forward. Despite these conditions, it would still take more than 4 hours to run out of charge.

*Based upon US EPA LA4 city cycle conducted in laboratory tests. See http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml Gradual loss of capacity in battery will result with time and use. Actual range will vary depending upon driving/charging habits, speed, conditions, weather, temperature, and battery age.

** All above scenarios based on new battery life. Estimated range based upon specific variables studied through computer simulations. Individual mileage outside of estimated range scenarios will occur.

Section 2:Range management

How you drive your Nissan LEAF will impact range

To get the most out of every charge, try:

• Using a moderate temperature setting inside the cabin (use of the air conditioner and heater draw energy from the battery).
• Pre-heating or pre-cooling the cabin before you unplug (you can set a timer or use your Smartphone).
• Driving at slower, constant speeds.
• Using eco mode.
• Destination charging.

The Nissan LEAF has a number of features to help you maximize your range and keep you charged up:

CARWINGS™ information system*
• Updates the navigation system with current charging station locations in your area
• Monitors the state of charge from your Smartphone or computer
• Remotely starts vehicle charging
• Provides connectivity to start and stop the climate control system in the vehicle remotely via your Smartphone or computer
• Reminds you to plug in the car if you forget
• The subscription service in included with your vehicle for the first three years

The LEAF onboard navigation system
• Is “smart” enough to tell you based on destination input and state of charge whether you have the range to “make it,” and if not, search for nearby charging station along the route
• Displays your current range radius
• Will alert you if you need to charge
• Shows you where you can find the nearest available charge station
• Displays how much charge you have left and how many miles remain
• Has a real time energy usage screen which shows you how much energy is
• Being used, regenerated, how much further you can drive, and the real time impact of using climate control on your range

Multi-function display drive computer
• Measures energy economy, kWh/mile, similar to a MPG meter
• Calculates estimated charging time under 120V and 240V power

Regenerative braking
• Every time you coast or apply the brakes in the Nissan LEAF, the electric motor acts as an electric generator, converting energy that would otherwise be dissipated into battery energy. So even when you're slowing down, you're charging up.

Eco mode
• This driver selectable mode reduces air conditioning, increases regenerative braking, and could increase your range by up to 10%.

Power meter
• Indicates the regeneration power level provided to the Li-ion battery system and the energy (power) consumption level when driving.

Eco-indicator
• The meter displays an illustrated ECO driving level calculated from conditions such as accelerator pedal and brake pedal operations, air conditioner usage and idling time of the electric motor.

Lithium ion battery empty warning light
• When your battery has 4kWh remaining, your empty warning light will come on and go into a power management mode. A notification on your screen will indicate where to find all charging stations within range.

Power limitation mode
• In the event that your battery becomes critically low (2kWH), power limitation mode will automatically minimize your energy consumption and reduce your speed to help you get to a charging dock.

Three years roadside assistance

Disclaimer
*CARWINGS™ communicates through a cellular network which may not be available in all areas. Signal strength may vary and be limited for the Nissan LEAF and your location. Certain remote functions require a compatible smartphone, not included with vehicle. CARWINGS™ information system features are included through a subscription service which requires owner consent to activate and is included in the price of the vehicle for the first 36 months. After that time, a subscription service can be purchased.

Section 3: Battery Life

The battery in your Nissan LEAF is designed for years of use

With proper care and maintenance, your battery will last for many years. However, with both time and use it will undergo reduction in capacity. This will decrease range. Consider though that 70% of people drive less than 40 miles per day.
So even as your battery ages and range is affected, most people will still be able to meet their driving needs for the day. .

To help maintain battery capacity:

• Park/store in moderate temperature
• Drive Moderately (not aggressive)
• Use Eco-Mode
• Don’t exceed 80% state of charge when using quick charge
• Use long life mode when storing the vehicle for extended periods of time (over 30 days)

Excessive capacity reduction could be attributed to:

• Driving or storing your LEAF in extreme temperatures
• Repeatedly charging your LEAF by quick charge several times a day
• Driving aggressively (up hill driving for a long period of time at a steep incline or grade, high speed constant driving)

Like all lithium ion batteries, the Nissan LEAF battery will experience a reduction in the amount of electricity or charge it can hold over time, resulting in a reduction in the vehicle’s range. This is normal and expected. The rate of reduction cannot be assured however, the battery is expected to maintain approximately 80% of its initial capacity after 5 years of normal operation and recommended care, but this is not guaranteed. This number will be higher or much lower depending upon usage and care.

AndyH said:
evnow said:
I mentioned this site when they ask about where you get your range info from .... hint hint ;)
Good to hear! I did the same!
Likewise. But that was the only place where I could do anything other than check a box. I wanted to be able to explain why I liked one sticker over the other, and what it was that I felt was missing in the sample mileage numbers they had provided.

Nowhere in the survey was I able to add comments, give feedback or make suggestions, except the one question about where I got range info with an "Other" field ( I mentioned this site ). This miffed me a bit, because on the cell phone question none of the answers applied. I picked the closest ("Other Standard Phone (non-Internet capable)"), but my phone can actuall access the internet, it's just not one of the "smart" ones they allowed in the choices above the one I picked.

What's the heck is up with this question:
...what is currently keeping you from having a home assessment done?
Are they serious? There's no choice for "You are! Nissan hasn't told me I can schedule an assessment yet!" :? Am I missing something here?

I filled in this web site as well. What I would like would be a miles per dollar so as gas goes up electric would look better.

Back