spy reports on the new 2013 from smyrna plant

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/10/2013-nissan-leaf-spy-shots-of-new-less-expensive-model.php?ref=fpnewsfeed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...Taken just this morning by notorious spy photographer Brenda Priddy, the prototype 2013 Leaf shows many subtle but unmistakable signs of the changes Nissan has made to cut costs.

Most visible are the revised headlights, which dispense with the current Leaf’s light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and use more conventional high-intensity discharge headlamp bulbs.

Also on the outside, Nissan has deleted the current alloy wheels and replaced them with black-painted steel wheels and dark grey plastic wheel covers.

We suspect the black-painted covers shown on the test car may be silver once they reach production, and with luck the black steel wheels underneath will be silver too.

Inside, the Leaf’s current light-grey fabric upholstery—made of partially recycled fibers——has been replaced by less expensive black cloth.

The various interior trim and dashboard moldings are uniformly black plastic as well—probably less expensive, though perhaps more heat-absorbing for those in hot and sunny climates.

It also appears that Nissan has deleted the cruise control from the steering wheel, with a silver blanking plate on its right-hand side where those controls are now sited....

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079716_2013-nissan-leaf-spy-shots-of-new-less-expensive-model" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

steel wheels with hubcaps
hid headlights instead of LED
black cloth interior instead of recycled grey.

2013-nissan-leaf_100404853_m.jpg

2013-nissan-leaf_100404861_m.jpg

2013-nissan-leaf_100404851_m.jpg

Then don't buy the (not yet announced) 2013 LEAF "S" trim, when/if it becomes available. Stick to the more expensive versions...

it is a choice, not a mandate. you can still get the higher model version, according to the story, which is speculative.
but if you post and read here, you are all sorts of used to speculation, rumor and supposition, as well as fine collegiality.

Makes me glad I got my Leaf when I did... 16 months, no problems, 3.3 kw is enough for my needs. Wouldn't want to give up those thousand dollar headlights. :eek:

I would take the lowest trim available. I ordered an SV and got switched to an SL by Nissan NA without being asked. I finally took it, very reluctantly, because I had already waited 8 months past my order date. I was really getting tired of driving an old pickup that didn't even have a radio.

Appearance? Means nothing to me. Navigation? I've used it three or four times in a year and a half, but only because I don't have a smart phone. I would have been better off carrying a good map like I used to.

Ray

They also got rid of the side markers (turn signals):

2013-nissan-leaf_100404860_l.jpg

I also wonder if they're keeping their "Zero Emission" tag, or if it says something more along the lines of "100% Electric"...

I do like the darker interior though. I wonder if they changed the dash at all to include SOC % or anything else like that. Notice that there is now a button to open the charge port lid (indicated on the button to the left of the steering wheel heater). This may mean that it is also included in the FOB as well, seeing as it is now electronic.

2013-nissan-leaf_100404851_l.jpg

I was told the charging hatch was definitely going electronic now for 2013, so yep... that shot confirms it. And yes, it should finally be "fob"able.

grommet said:
I was told the charging hatch was definitely going electronic now for 2013, so yep... that shot confirms it. And yes, it should finally be "fob"able.

Who will be first to pop open the charge port while resetting their miles/kWh, or looking for timer override?

One time the charge port didn't quite latch when I closed it. Went about a mile on US 101 and the wind popped it open with alacrity. THUMP! After my heart stopped racing I was able to laugh about it. Took the next exit and closed it, I was thinking about the increased drag.

On most car lines alloy rims are standard only on the higher end model and the lower end gets steel/hub caps. Making that a differentiator would be consistent with lots of other cars, including the Versa.

i dont use the nav much, though i found it very useful when i got off the 101 freeway to avoid a sig alert and was immediately directed how to make it through the maze of streets to get to the 110 and keep heading home.

normally, i am not adventuring into too much strange territory with 80-mile range.

TomT said:
If true, they have managed to make it far less desirable...
All that's left to do now is pull out the carpet and go to astroturf - & use a smaller traction pack if they want to bung it up some more.
:D
Actually, I don't care how Chicken $*It the rest of the ride is, as long as they can work on range + QC infrastructure in So Cal. I guess those are the very very last things on the 'to-do' list.
:roll:

lowered prices means a huge new market especially around here. $31,000 before incentives makes the LEAF purchase the same as any other $21,000 car after fed tax and sales tax exemption in WA State.

that prices it "just" above entry level mid-sized cars. so the LEAF provides "slightly" less room (in most cases) but a huge savings in fuel costs.

i would have done it as well BUT

no QC, no sale for me. if they took that out to save money, they made a big mistake

Latest posts

Back