Tent accessory for overnighting at RV Parks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yanquetino

Now that Ingineer's L1 EVSE upgrade enables recharging from 240V outlets, it is conceivable that some intrepid LEAF owners will want to take longer trips and overnight at RV Parks. If so, they might be interested in purchasing one of these Sportz Hatchback Tents for the Nissan Versa:

napier_dome_to_go.jpg

Of course, one would also need a LEAF Cargo Organizer so that, with the rear seats folded down, the entire cargo area is flat:

1193693841_LrADJ-S.jpg

It would then be possible to buy a matching Sportz air mattress, and... voilà! You've got a LEAF camper: :mrgreen:

napier_mattress.jpg

This post could also be titled "How to turn your LEAF into a Pontiac Aztek" :D

The tailgate camping tent was actually a very clever idea - it's a shame the rest of the Aztek was so terrible!

When I looked into the tailgate tent for the Prius (can't remember the specific brand) I came across some discussion indicating that it wasn't so great in the rain. That was a few years back though and I'd be curious to see if any advancements have been made on that front or if perhaps the LEAF is a better shape for such a concept.

If I got this for the LEAF I'd definitely be sure to thoroughly check it over prior to use in a rainy environment especially since it's made for the Versa.

I was just thinking how can I use the Leaf to warmup or cool down a tent :?: . Now I can, with the "engine" running :D . We are going to be camping for 5 nights a county fair, and I will get a spot with "electricity". Not sure what voltage/amps will be available.
I just need a remote to turn the temperature up-down, without getting out of the tent. I will use my daughter ... or a stick.
Can I lock the doors with the hatch open? I will check that. I do not want somebody to run with the "HVAC" system while we sleep.

Did anybody tried the tent in the OP?

I bought this same setup for my Prius, in case of emergency, but have never had to use it yet. I did set it up once in my friend's back yard, and it was quite nice attached to a Prius with the A/C running. I plan to use an aluminized pipe extension for the exhaust, but that's not an issue with the LEAF. ;)

I just looked into this tent, and with two different browsers, one got me a "won't fit your Leaf" message, and one brought it up with "2013 Leaf" as the selected vehicle and let me add it to the cart. Has anyone yet tried them? They are on sale for one more day...

According to the product catalog on the Napier web site, there is only one model of this tent, the 86000. It is supposed to fit a large number of hatchback and station wagon models.
http://www.sportzbynapier.com/userfiles/1415649872_2015_Catalog_-_Napier_Outdoors.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baustin said:
According to the product catalog on the Napier web site, there is only one model of this tent, the 86000. It is supposed to fit a large number of hatchback and station wagon models.
http://www.sportzbynapier.com/userfiles/1415649872_2015_Catalog_-_Napier_Outdoors.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right, but does it fit the Leaf? One spot on the site said it is for cars 'with an 18' cargo opening circumference.' Not "Up to 18'" just 18'. The Leaf seems to have a COC of about 11.5'.

I don't think I can get far enough away from home to need this, but It might come in handy if I tried, and had to spend the night in the car waiting for some distant Nissan dealer to open for a DCQC.

Looks cool though.
$35,000 air conditioner in the tent would be a nice deal. :D

I had a little time, so I tried the live chat feature to get a better idea if it will fit. Transcript follows:

[Michael] Will the 86000 tent fit the 2013 Nissan Leaf?

[Brian B] I saw your question and am checking on it now.

[Michael] Ok, thanks.

[Brian B] Fits cargo areas with a 18 ft cubic foot circumference. Which would be very close. Do you know the storage area of your Leaf?

[Michael] The circumference is about 11 - 11.5 feet. I have no idea of the cargo area volume. Is there a minimum circumference?

[Michael] BTW, cubic feet refers to volume, not circumference length.

[Brian B]
The Napier Sportz 86000 Dome to Go Tent fits hatchbacks with an 18 ft. cargo area circumference

[Brian B] Information listed on the website.

[Brian B] That is all I was referring to.

[Michael] yes, I saw that. Mine is much less than 18'. I wanted to know what the minimum is, as it is unlikely that most hatchbacks have the exact same opening circumference. I assumed 18' is the maximum...?

[Michael] Can you get this info and email me?

[Brian B] I'm sorry they do not list specifically. It is a universal product so we do not have a list of the vehicles that tent fits. If we did we would have it as a custom fit option, which we have for many vehicles.

[Brian B] Let me try another vehicle that is going to be similar to the Leaf.

[Michael] The Leaf has a fairly small hatch opening. Maybe the Juke...

[Brian B] No fitment showing for the Juke.

[Michael] It probably won't fit the Leaf, than. Thanks.

It seems unlikely to me that this tent's 'tunnel' will fit the relatively small opening in the Leaf's hatch, unfortunately.

[BrianB] is not an engineer!?

Do they mean the cargo hatch has an opening cross sectional area of 18 square feet?

Very strange specification.
Makes NO sense.
Who cares what the cargo VOLUME is?

So;

18' X 1' has cross sectional area of 18 square feet, but a circumference of 38 linear feet.

4.2" square is still 18' square cross sectional area, but a circumference of only about 17 linear feet.

If it has MORE circumference than needed, it can fit!

It sounds like it does.

If you think it's cool enough, you can surely make it work

If it has MORE circumference than needed, it can fit!

Then have at it! But be warned: I remember a review from a Fit Sport driver who said it wouldn't tighten enough across his small hatch opening to stay on. That's why I asked about a minimum circumference.

that is when the hacking starts!!!

neat idea once they have a wee bit more range! I especially like the idea of always having heat and AC.

now we just need an electric minivan for more space :)

You know what? I believe I misunderstood (and the site provides no help on this) what they mean by 'cargo opening circumference' or whatever it's called. I measured around the hatch opening, but looking at the photo of the tent, I believe you have to measure around the *entire outside of the car at the rear* including the underbody. Anybody want to try that today, with a helper? I doubt I can do it alone. The 20% off sale is still on.

Someone just PMd me (I don't know why it wasn't posted here!) a message and some photos, showing this tent fitting a Leaf just fine. I may buy one. It's 20% off for the next few days with the code "MD20" I think. It's on the website.

LeftieBiker said:
Someone just PMd me (I don't know why it wasn't posted here!) a message and some photos, showing this tent fitting a Leaf just fine. I may buy one. It's 20% off for the next few days with the code "MD20" I think. It's on the website.

It's ME20

Back