backup lights

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjdoe

I have a steep, darkish driveway, and really can't see much backing out. I'm going to mount a pair of COB LED bars, under the bumper, angled out a little. That should help the camera see better. Maybe line the drive with white pavers?
Has anyone done this? Do you remember which wire? (I can find it with a voltmeter). Has anyone felt the need to do this? Backing, uphill, there is little view. High rear fenders, small rear window...
We've only had the car a week, but this weekend we drove to the airport in the dark. A light rain, and worn out lane markings that should have been repainted 10 years ago, made for an unpleasant ride! Our other car has bright xenon's, and is great. The LED's just weren't cutting it. I didn't think to try the fog lights, but they wouldn't have helped much. We needed something to focus on the road further in front of us. Has anyone tried adding lights, for times when the LED lights aren't enough, and you can't use brights? I'd even toss the fog lights, if I could use that spot. Any suggestions? It's tricky, mounting front lights - and not annoying other drivers. But sometimes, I had trouble staying in my lane.
The few times I've driven in the dark, the lights seemed OK. But with the rain, it was white-knuckled!
Thanks

jjdoe said:
We needed something to focus on the road further in front of us. Has anyone tried adding lights, for times when the LED lights aren't enough, and you can't use brights? I'd even toss the fog lights, if I could use that spot. Any suggestions? It's tricky, mounting front lights - and not annoying other drivers. But sometimes, I had trouble staying in my lane.
The few times I've driven in the dark, the lights seemed OK. But with the rain, it was white-knuckled!
Thanks

Did you try adjusting the angle (up/down) of the headlights with the roller/knob? Seems like that would help.

For the rear camera, you might try some Infra-red LEDs.

And I'd try putting in some flexible poles to define the edges of the driveway, and wrap a few strips of 3M reflective tape around each one.

Stanton said:
jjdoe said:
We needed something to focus on the road further in front of us. Has anyone tried adding lights, for times when the LED lights aren't enough, and you can't use brights? I'd even toss the fog lights, if I could use that spot. Any suggestions? It's tricky, mounting front lights - and not annoying other drivers. But sometimes, I had trouble staying in my lane.
Thanks

Did you try adjusting the angle (up/down) of the headlights with the roller/knob? Seems like that would help.

The electric adjustment (roller/knob) is one of the items the 2011 had which was left off of the 2015 (not sure when it was deleted). That said, I think the LED headlights (even without electric adjustment) are better than low beam headlights on other cars I have driven. It might be worth having the dealer check the headlight alignment.

Regarding backup lighting, I have purchased some high lumen bright white LED bulbs to replace the original backup lights in hopes of getting better vision in the rear view camera, but have not yet installed them. The camera on the 2011 was better than the rear camera (part of surround view system) on the 2015.

Gerry

I've installed a 15W LED work light under the rear bumper of my e-NV200. It's wired parallel to the original backup light (21W), which I've changed to LED as well. Not sure if this helps you fellow Leaf drivers, but IIRC I had no trouble to find correct wires with voltmeter.

Back