TorC
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2013

Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:58 pm

EDIT: December 2015: This cable harness is now available on http://betterev.tabetalt.no/
Shipping is still very expensive (but this is what the Norwegian Postal service charges me).

Hi,
Most LEAF owners live in climates where the heater will waste energy parts of the year. Sometimes the heater will use energy, and a few minutes later the AC will use energy to cool the cabin down. This is a waste of energy, and will decrease range.

Many of us has modified the system by adding a resistor based on viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11412 "Easy Climate Control Fan-Only Solution - 5 cents, 5 mins"

These 3 methods are not easy for people without DYI-knowhow, and is a bit impractibale. Sometimes you want to just turn off the heating and keep the AC. The need for heating changes during seasons, and if you want to maximize range. The only solution is to use "method 2", but not everyone is capable to cut into the wires and install the resistor and switch.

I want a "plug and play" solution. A solution that even my 85 year old grandmother will be able to install. And I want it to be possible to buy for less than $ 25.

My idea is to make a small "extension cable" of the M50 connector to the climate control panel, and a switch (with a 330 ohm resistor) in paralell between pin 30 and 37. The cable lenght of the switch must be long enough to so that it is possible to install it under the screen, or close to the pedeals. Or left inside the console. With my layout it will be possible to add a aux.heater, and even the possiblity to adjust the water temperature.

I am not trying to make money on this, but I would like to know how many would be interested in such a "plug&play" cable kit. I do not want to order 200 kits, and be stuck with the bill...

Please let me know if you would consider to buy such a kit for less than $25. If I get enough feedback I will try a kickstarter.

Best regards,

Tor
Last edited by TorC on Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhanson865
Leaf Number: 16156

Re: Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. Any interest for a "plug &play" solution?

Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:04 pm

I haven't been through my first winter but just for summer use I'm curious about your idea. I'd like to be able to turn the heat off for 7-10 months of the year with a switch and I'd prefer a prefab solution to having to make one myself.

Ask me again next spring and I might be even more interested.
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

DuncanCunningham
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:22 pm

I'm assuming you've read this post already?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11412

I'd go for it too. I'm too lazy to make up something so option 1 is only one I'd go from that post and it's not easily on and offable, which I'd prefer.
Last edited by DuncanCunningham on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:59 pm

I'm interested Tor.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

TorC

Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:05 am

Nice to hear that some are interested in such a kit. I have posted this in the "Easy Climate Control Fan-Only Solution - 5 cents, 5 mins" thread:

"For those who do not want to "DIY" you can buy a cable kit from http://betterev.tabetalt.no/

Please note that US residents(and all other non-Norwegian residents) must add the "world wide shipping" option.

This is a less than "non-profit" project.

BEWARE: This cable kit is NOT approved by Nissan. This is MAY void warranty,

Please be aware that I am the seller of this item.

Tech info:

Mode 1: 270 ohms in parallel makes the LEAF water heater system to assume to have a very high tempt. El.hetater turns OFF.
Mode 2: 2,2k ohms in parallel makes the LEAF water heater system to adjust to approx 30 C. higher than actual temp. Less heat loss.
Mode OFF: No input. The LEAF will heat as normal,

Length of kit: 10 cm

Length of switch-kit: 51 cm.

The switch can be installed up to 50 cm (cable length) from the center console

Be aware that shipping will be primo nov to mid nov. 2015.

1 USD is about 9 NOK. Price per kit iis about 11 USD, shipping about 7 USD

I will provide a simple "youtube" video on how to install the cable kit shortly after I have received it.

At the moment I am just "covering my cost", to make sure that this cable kit is available. I am not making any money on this, but need to get my money back. "

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:17 am

To be clear: this will require removal of the center display console and some (mild) soldering? After which there will be a cable protruding from the top/side/bottom?
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

wwhitney
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:57 am

Hi Tor,

I'm a little unclear on your "technical info". Are the added resistors in parallel to the cabin temperature thermistor or the coolant loop temperature termistor?

Cheers, Wayne

TorC

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:07 am

wwhitney wrote:Hi Tor,

I'm a little unclear on your "technical info". Are the added resistors in parallel to the cabin temperature thermistor or the coolant loop temperature termistor?

Cheers, Wayne

English not not my first language, so sometimes things get a bit lost in translation in my head when i write... sorry.

The switch will make the resistor connected in parallel to the water temp. sensor. So that the system will read the temp to be a lot hotter than it actually is. And you will still be able to get some heat, or no heat if you wish, and still be able to have use the fan and defroster fan.

Fiddling with the cabin sensor will do very little since the heater system is set to 72 degrees Celsius (161 F) on the water and the main unnecessary heat loss is in the engine bay. By having a lower temp on the water, the difference in temp between water and outside air will be less, and therefor less heat loss. By manipulating the cabin sensor you may even do things worse, since the car then may turn on the AC instead...

"Mode 2" will give heat, but it will take a lot longer to heat the cabin, and in very very cold weather it may not be able to give off enough heat to get the cabin to room temperature.

Edit: The resistors will be connected about 5 cm from the switch on wires. That makes it possible to replace the 2,2 kOhm resistor with one with more resistance so that the water will be a bit hotter, or less resistance to lower the water temp. I am not saying it is necessary, just that it is possible to "fine tune" to personal preference with very little effort and knowledge.

If you wish to save more energy I would recommend insulating the hot water circuit. I have read somewhere that the heat loss (at 72 C) in the engine bay is between 500w and 1000w. With a lower water temperature this loss is a lot less, but it might be worth the effort. I have insulated parts of the circuit and a "feel" that it makes a difference. But this just my be my bias. It is very easy to locate the correct hoses, just turn the heater ON, and just feel your way around.... I have used "foam hoses" (often used to insulate pipes in houses) .

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask anything. :-)

Cheers!

Tor

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:09 pm

TorC wrote:I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask anything. :-)

Can you respond to my question a couple of posts up? Thanks.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

TorC

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:50 pm

Stanton wrote:
TorC wrote:I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask anything. :-)

Can you respond to my question a couple of posts up? Thanks.
Stanton wrote:To be clear: this will require removal of the center display console and some (mild) soldering? After which there will be a cable protruding from the top/side/bottom?

Hi,
I am sorry. I did not see your post.

To install the cable kit you will have to remove parts of the panel around the center console. This i VERY simple. https://youtu.be/5bpU3pxYANk?t=1m32s.

There is no soldering needed. The kit is "plug and play". BUT if you want the switch accessible you will have to drill a small hole somewhere to mount the switch. If you want to have "mode 1" (or mode 2) at all times, there is no need to drill the hole.

The cable kit is complete, and no tools required except to make the hole. The switch is connected to three wires with 50 cm (about 1,5 feet) length. You can choose where to install the switch as long as the 50 cm wire is long enough. I would recommend to install the switch just under the 12v outlet, or on the side panel.

The kit/harness "extends" the existing harness and adds the switch.

Best regards,

Tor

Return to “Accessories / Mods”