Safely attach cloth to plastic door panel?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertSprings

Hi, I have dogs who like to put their feet on the hard plastic just under the window on the passenger door. Since this is a lease, I'm worried about their nails scratching the plastic and getting dinged when I return the car.

I was thinking I could attach some cloth or foam to that section, to act as a barrier between their nails and the plastic. Is there any sort of adhesive I can use that won't damage the plastic underneath and can be removed fairly easily when it is time to turn the car in? Other suggestions for preventing scratches welcome as well.

I used double-sided foam tape to attach a cellular phone charging cradle to the glossy plastic trim piece around the navigation unit on my 2011 with no intention of removing it. After the car was totaled, I removed the cradle and found that the foam tape left virtually no residue on the glossy plastic. It might be a little thick for your application, but you might find similar adhesive on the back of plastic like cabinet/drawer liner material. I would be concerned about the painters' tape aging and becoming very difficult to remove.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
I used double-sided foam tape to attach a cellular phone charging cradle to the glossy plastic trim piece around the navigation unit on my 2011 with no intention of removing it. After the car was totaled, I removed the cradle and found that the foam tape left virtually no residue on the glossy plastic. It might be a little thick for your application, but you might find similar adhesive on the back of plastic like cabinet/drawer liner material. I would be concerned about the painters' tape aging and becoming very difficult to remove.

Gerry

I had the same fears about removal. I used painter's tape to cover the piano-black pieces on the rear doors of our 2012 because our Mastiff rides back there. It was on for the duration of the 3-year lease and peeled cleanly. It was the 3M blue painter's tape.

Right under the window though, may be exposed to more sun so I'm not sure if that would affect it.

Back