Splash Guards

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjohnb

Hello! I just purchased a 2013 SV the other day and I'm looking at some of the accessories that are available. I've looked around the forum, but I can't seem to find a thread that talks about the effectiveness of the splash guards. For those who have them, do you notice much of a benefit by having them installed? They seem to be fairly low-profile, so I'm not sure how effective they'll be.

I also just purchased a black 2013 SV, and have the exact same question...let me know if you find out anything!

Nice! I'm in Urbandale, IA too actually. Good to see other Central Iowa EV drivers. Now, if we could just get at least ONE quick charger in the state, I'd be happy.

I have two Leafs. One with and one without. The weather has been mostly good since we got the second one in early September but so far haven't noticed much difference. The older one has no splash guards and haven't noticed a lot of splatter in the first place to be honest. I'll update this if we get a bad storm as I'll make it a point to compare. I will say I think the car looks noticeably better with them - more finished off.

EvansvilleLeaf said:
I have two Leafs. One with and one without. The weather has been mostly good since we got the second one in early September but so far haven't noticed much difference. The older one has no splash guards and haven't noticed a lot of splatter in the first place to be honest. I'll update this if we get a bad storm as I'll make it a point to compare. I will say I think the car looks noticeably better with them - more finished off.

Thanks! I'll probably hold off for now until more results come in since they're a little pricey vs. a car wash :)

Hello "wjohnb"....I stop at the Urbandale Hy-Vee a lot of mornings on the way to work for a free charge and coffee! I live in Ankeny. Send a message and we can meet-up sometime. I frequent the Hy-Vee in Urbandale, and the new Hy-Vee in Ankeny as I can go and have a beer at the bar, and charge the LEAF for free...or do some grocery shopping as well.

As for the splash guards...think I will hold off as well for now.

I have a set of factory mud flaps, pearl white, they don't work very well, especially after you widen the track of the car. If you want them they're yours for 50$ shipped inside the USA. Seriously though, they don't work, I see all the ones on the other Leafs at work and at the factory ride height they don't do squat. I ended up getting some WRC urethane flap material for my wider stance and those work most awesome.

As a general rule, not specific to Leaf, guards have value if you run a lot of off pavement or experience a lot of wet dirty weather. They will help with debris accumulation on the body behind the tire.

Otherwise they're more along the lines of an accessory appearance item.

I took mine off, they create drag. They're standard in Canada. I have a white car and haven't noticed any bad spray. I never drive on dirt or gravel roads. The back of the car pulls up so much dirt onto the tail gate when it's raining that a little bit on the side doesn't bother me. It's not going to keep the car much cleaner when you look at the whole car.

I think the cars they really have value on are where the rear wheel arch sticks out, they would prevent stone ships on those cars.

I have had them on my car for 40 months and 60,000 miles. I like them because they seem to keep the gravel and rocks contained and not hitting the car. They put gravel down here in Oregon and don't use salt on the snow/ice, so I always prefer having splash guards on all of my cars. The only thing I don't like is that they collect snow/ice balls from time to time. I think they make the car look better. Even if I had known that the paint was going to be soon thin on my LEAF, I still would have purchased these.

Back