Traffic and crowd sourcing - Waze, Inrix etc

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishboneash

I started a group called "Nissan Leafers" for Waze. Waze is a "crowd sourcing" app for Android (probably for Iphone and other smartphones as well). The users call themsselves Wazers ... :geek: You can get near real time traffic info and users can post information about police, hazards, traffic jams etc and others would see it. Based on your location and groups you belong too, you get updates on your map. There are many hundreds of such groups and they are typically formed by people getting together based on common interest or commuting routes. If you are interested, do join this group or form your own group in your area which may be more relevant. I am in the San Francisco bay area (East Bay). Waze has navigation capability as well, but that really sucks. Also the icons/symbols are a bit cartoonish. There are a lot of gimmicky stuff :roll: , but if you can get over that, there is some redeeming value to it.

One of the best real time traffic information app I have seen is Inrix (when it actually connects). Fantastic accuracy and very up-to-date traffic info. It has a feature where you can report traffic events or update the "colors" on the map. In addition, it has other features like predictive traffic based on historical traffic information. Not sure how that works, but I am mostly sold on the real time traffic info. Also, it gets into the major street levels/arterial routes so it is quite useful to avoid bottlenecks. There is also of course Google's own Map and navigation software, but its traffic is not as up-to-date as Inrix is. XM traffic is also pretty slow to update and doesn't cover the off-freeway routes. BTW, I don't work for any of these companies or are associated with them.

Back