Old iPod (4th gen) from circa 2004. Mine does not work...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxp

Okay, so I plug in an iPod (4th Gen, circa 2004) via the USB slot and it does not get recognized. Can anyone help me?

Thx.

evnow said:
mxp said:
Okay, so I plug in an iPod (4th Gen, circa 2004) via the USB slot and it does not get recognized. Can anyone help me?

Thx.
Upgrade the firmware.

Hi evnow, thanks for your reply. But how? LOL! I am not familiar with iPods. It's my wife's that I am trying to get working in the Leaf.

Typically, I go to the device manyfacturers website to find the utility and the firmware specific to a model for the firmware update but I can't find it for this old iPod classic that my wife has.

All the firmwares I can find on the internet is for the "iPod touch" and iphones. Not for the old iPods. And, I hope I don't have to install iTunes to do this firmware upgrade either...

Can you send me some links that I can read up on? Thanks!

mxp said:
evnow said:
mxp said:

Thx.
Upgrade the firmware.

Hi evnow, thanks for your reply. But how? LOL! I am not familiar with iPods. It's my wife's that I am trying to get working in the Leaf.

Typically, I go to the device manyfacturers website to find the utility and the firmware specific to a model for the firmware update but I can't find it for this old iPod classic that my wife has.

All the firmwares I can find on the internet is for the "iPod touch" and iphones. Not for the old iPods. And, I hope I don't have to install iTunes to do this firmware upgrade either...

I tried a circa ~2004 iPod Shuffle and it was unrecognized by my Leaf. My iphone, OTOH was. I synced it to iTunes and it said my SW was 'up to date'.

Of course, the Shuffles might be an edge case as they don't have the traditional iPod USB connector (they have a dock instead that goes through the earphone jack).

mxp said:

Through iTunes ! See when they design the stuff for the "unwashed masses" others can't figure out how to make it work ;-)

Search for iPod on this site (use the search link at the top and then google custom search). There is a good writeup about firmwares and various generations on wikipedia as well. IIRC, all iPods can be upgraded to a firmware that Leaf will recognize.

evnow said:
....Search for iPod on this site (use the search link at the top and then google custom search). There is a good writeup about firmwares and various generations on wikipedia as well. IIRC, all iPods can be upgraded to a firmware that Leaf will recognize.

I just installed iTunes (version 10.3.1.55) and it pickup my old iPod 4th Gen upon connecting, and proceeded to upgrade the firmware. The iPod was upgraded from f/w 3.0.2 to 3.1.1 ~ Nice! so there was an updated f/w. Anyways, I rushed out and plugged it in and pushed the AUX button but nothing worked.

Okay, back to the manuals. The Nav booklet on page 4-6 (Audio System) provided a clue... it says 5th gen iPod compatibility so perhaps it meant "5th Gen onwards" for compatibility! :-(

Anyone have any hacking ideas pls let me know....

Previous to the 5th generation, many iPods did not support audio streaming over USB. This means there is very little you can do to make your older iPod work.

Back