Need a better quality sun visor

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

It's a small thing, but a big deal to those of us who want to shield ourselves from the sun through the side windows. Instead of the visor 'sliding' across the medal rod, the Leaf visor stationary, and has a little crappy piece of plastic that slides out. It doesn't shield you from the sun properly.

I retro-fitted the 2013 (driver) visor into my 2011, and I think that "crappy piece of plastic that slides out" works ok...or at least a lot better than my old visor did :cool:

Stanton said:
I retro-fitted the 2013 (driver) visor into my 2011, and I think that "crappy piece of plastic that slides out" works ok...or at least a lot better than my old visor did :cool:

+1. What I'd change now is a slightly longer extension and being able to vertically pivot the entire visor.

Stanton said:
Of course, there is a zero cost solution to the visor problem:

1p8h.jpg

And, get this, it works better than the 2013 visor for blocking sun to the side!

For those inclined to give it a try: use 1/16" or 1/8" corrugated cardboard, 12½" x 6½". Fold the last half inch of the cardboard and it will stay under the visor strap securely at full extension. The artistically inclined can even draw or paint a design on the cardboard to spruce it up.

Yes, it is crude, but it works really well.

dgpcolorado said:
To dress my cardboard slider up, I wrote "Nissan" on it in large letters. It also reminds me to buy something else next time :)

I agree with USSValor. The narrow extender is usually useless in the side window, and it was the side window problem that most of us were complaining about in our 2011 and 2012 LEAFs. It looks to me like they designed the extension so it would fit above the rear view mirror to block sunlight coming through the upper center of the windshield. It does do that, and I have found that useful on a few occasions, though I can just scrunch down a bit in the seat to let the mirror itself block that angle.

What I would like to see is a second visor mounted above the driver's door. Neither it nor the existing one would need to be able to swing horizontally. I sometimes drive on roads or streets where I am switching direction in the late afternoon between northerly and westerly. It would be a godsend if I could have both visors down and not be trying to swing the visor with one hand while turning with the other.

Ray

dgpcolorado said:
Stanton said:
Of course, there is a zero cost solution to the visor problem:

1p8h.jpg

And, get this, it works better than the 2013 visor for blocking sun to the side!

For those inclined to give it a try: use 1/16" or 1/8" corrugated cardboard, 12½" x 6½". Fold the last half inch of the cardboard and it will stay under the visor strap securely at full extension. The artistically inclined can even draw or paint a design on the cardboard to spruce it up.

+1 - I added a second layer to the edge of my cardboard extension to create a raised stop, so it butts up against the visor strap, preventing the cardboard from sliding completely out. There are plastic visor extensions on ebay in several colors for about $12, but this has worked well enough that I no long think about buying those (plus the price is just right!).

DeaneG said:
dgpcolorado said:
To dress my cardboard slider up, I wrote "Nissan" on it in large letters. It also reminds me to buy something else next time :)
You can always (in small print) write, "MSRP $67.95" to make it truly look authentic
:D

USSValor said:
It's a small thing, but a big deal to those of us who want to shield ourselves from the sun through the side windows. Instead of the visor 'sliding' across the medal rod, the Leaf visor stationary, and has a little crappy piece of plastic that slides out. It doesn't shield you from the sun properly.

So, that's what that slider thing on the visor is for on my Nissan LEAF 2017... It's not explained in the owner's manual.

USSValor said:

Having had both I can say without reservation the slide out extender is a way better deal.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Having had both I can say without reservation the slide out extender is a way better deal.

+1. I use the extenders on both in the windshield all the time at certain times of year, when the sun is low in the sky while I'm driving to or from work.

Not as useful when you need to move them to the side windows, but still better than nothing.

the newer altima and maxima sunvisors slide out like you prefer, but their shape is not the same as Leaf, although they bolt up the same it looks like. It might work in the Leaf, look for a cheap set of 2015ish altima sunvisors on ebay.

Back