Nissan Tests 48-kWh LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJD

There’s nothing newsworthy here until we see one sentence on a LEAF prototype equipped with 48-kWh battery pack.

http://insideevs.com/nissan-tests-48-kwh-leaf-at-ecoseries/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was hoping for a 36kWh pack some day soon. Maybe it will happen after all.

What would you be willing to pay for a LEAF with a 36 or 48kWh pack ?

Until I had some VERY concrete evidence that temperature degradation was truly no longer an issue, I'd not pay any more... "Fool me once... (tm)"

KJD said:

Nissan could easily fit that size battery into a Rogue. That's exactly what I'm hoping is available three years from now when my LEAF lease matures.
KJD said:
There’s nothing newsworthy here until we see one sentence on a LEAF prototype equipped with 48-kWh battery pack.

http://insideevs.com/nissan-tests-48-kwh-leaf-at-ecoseries/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But not if the Rogue then was still the style-less, mundane, mediocre vehicle it is today...

GIBBER said:
Nissan could easily fit that size battery into a Rogue. That's exactly what I'm hoping is available three years from now when my LEAF lease matures.

If they can fix the heat degradation problem this will be a pretty compelling platform. Fast charging starts to look like a viable option for regional road trips with this kind of capacity.

Good morning Tom. I take it from your response you haven't seen the all new Rogue just launched? It's a very nice vehicle.
TomT said:
But not if the Rogue then was still the style-less, mundane, mediocre vehicle it is today...

GIBBER said:

Tesla charges $10,000 for an extra 25 kWh battery.

For this in a LEAF battery say an extra $7,500. But it would need a better warranty and probably a cooling system for me to stay with Nissan.
Certainly it would need to list a battery replacement cost before I purchase again.

I got a quick peek inside and managed to hook-up an ODBII adapter and LEAF-Spy.

RNx6at3.jpg

Berlino said:
I got a quick peek inside and managed to hook-up an ODBII adapter and LEAF-Spy.
If you saw inside, were any of the batteries inside the passenger compartment or cargo area? Or did they manage to fit them all under the car?

Yeah, I have but I still don't care much for it... It is not want I'd want in an EV and it looks very unaerodynamic and stylistically uninteresting... I'm sure it is a competent family hauler but that is not compelling enough for me...

GIBBER said:
Good morning Tom. I take it from your response you haven't seen the all new Rogue just launched? It's a very nice vehicle.

If you saw inside, were any of the batteries inside the passenger compartment or cargo area?

I was just joking. When I take ODBII readings immediately after charging to 80%, I sometimes get amusing out-of-bounds readings from LEAF Spy, it just so happened that one of them corresponded with a 48 kWh LEAF.

Berlino said:
I was just joking. When I take ODBII readings immediately after charging to 80%, I sometimes get amusing out-of-bounds readings from LEAF Spy, it just so happened that one of them corresponded with a 48 kWh LEAF.

I figured you were joking, but I thought you photoshopped it. That's funny you got that off your own Leaf.

TomT said:
Yeah, I have but I still don't care much for it... It is not want I'd want in an EV and it looks very unaerodynamic and stylistically uninterested... I'm sure it is a competent family hauler but that is not compelling enough for me...

There are probably about 10 compelling cars total for sale right now. Even fewer if you restrict it to S/CUVs. I think sticking a 48kWh battery in a competent family hauler would make nearly any of them compelling. Think of it this way: swap the Leaf's battery for a 1.8L ICE, and you are left with a car barely worth considering.

The only S/CUV EV or PHEV that interests me at this juncture is the Tesla X... The others are just, well, meh... YMMV, of course.

Boourns said:
TomT said:
Yeah, I have but I still don't care much for it... It is not want I'd want in an EV and it looks very unaerodynamic and stylistically uninteresting... I'm sure it is a competent family hauler but that is not compelling enough for me...
There are probably about 10 compelling cars total for sale right now. Even fewer if you restrict it to S/CUVs. I think sticking a 48kWh battery in a competent family hauler would make nearly any of them compelling. Think of it this way: swap the Leaf's battery for a 1.8L ICE, and you are left with a car barely worth considering.

KJD said:
http://insideevs.com/nissan-tests-48-kwh-leaf-at-ecoseries/

I guess I disagree with the article's conclusion:
48 kWh is more than we’d expect to see in a production version, but this testing at least shows us that Nissan has thoughts of more capacity on its mind.

Just as likely, the only thing Nissan had on its mind was doing well in the competition. Just like running a LeMans car doesn't mean automakers have a 1500 hp production car "on their minds".

That being said, yes I'd consider paying more for higher capacity. Maybe $4K additional for a 36kWh pack. But this is all very fluid. How much space would it take, etc..? In terms of degradation, they already seem to be making strides. Also a larger pack helps there, as there isn't such a desperate need to shave as many coulombs from the high and low SOC to make the car viable. For my own personal needs, there's quite a bit of attractive real-estate inside a +50% "range ring".

TomT said:
Until I had some VERY concrete evidence that temperature degradation was truly no longer an issue, I'd not pay any more... "Fool me once... (tm)"
Yes I would agree with this. The sooner Nissan gets the 2014 "Hot" battery into production the sooner we can find out weather it solves the problem or not.

smkettner said:
Tesla charges $10,000 for an extra 25 kWh battery.
For this in a LEAF battery say an extra $7,500. But it would need a better warranty and probably a cooling system for me to stay with Nissan.
Certainly it would need to list a battery replacement cost before I purchase again.
It would appear that $7,500 is a reasonable estimate on the price. To answer my own question, Yes I would be willing to pay $7500 more for a 36kWh battery pack.

On the warranty issue it needs to be 100,000 miles and not 60,000 miles. There are other car companies offering 100,000 mile warranty on gas guzzlers and Nissan needs to match that figure.

Back