SMS, IVR, and single URL commands

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlyjaymoo

I've created a new tool to use SMS, IVR (control using touch tones from any phone#), and configurable single URL commands for LEAF owners. I think it will even help those who share cars with others do it easily and safely.

Kudos go to first to others in the forum that have created similar tools. I started writing the tool when I first received my LEAF back in June.

There are more details on the site: https://www.leafremote.com

But here's a summary of the current features:

1) the entire car status from Carwings (plugged in, charging at what level, battery state, estimated range, and climate control on/off)
2) climate control on/off
3) start charge
4) all through: SMS (text: status, air on, air off, charge) from multiple phones registered on your account, IVR (spoken prompts and touchtone phone), single URLs (customized code words)
5) you configure whether or not the IVR or URLs are enabled (in case you don't want them to be)
6) all passwords (AES) and communication (SSL) are encrypted

I'd like to do more, but I need help with exposure to others who have multiple LEAFs on their Carwings account (if that's possible), or who have a desire to configure multiple LEAFs on a single account (status dad, air on charlie, etc...). If anyone's interested in helping out to test this kind of functionality, leave me a msg (here or on the site!)

Enjoy!

Most of my issues have been with the 'back end' and not so much the (Android) app itself.
Commands to start climate control get dropped.
Requests for status take a long time to time out.
Request for login is spotty and late.

Does this SMS/IVR bypass any of the Carwings web/soap, or is it just another front-end in front of that?

For $5/mo, I would hope it goes straight to the car (bypassing the horrible app/web interfaces) and does it right?

I thought that there is no way that one can get it to work without going through carwings.

I thought that the message TO the car is just "Please Phone Carwings", and the CAR must call into the Carwings Server number to find out what Carwings wants it to do.

Thus, it is (most likely) all done by
1. Logging into Carwings
2. Triggering a Carwings Function
3. Carwings contacts the car as usual
4. Carwings sends a response, as usual.

So, to make this work, one needs a subscription to Carwings and a subscription to this service, right?

However, the front-end of Message, Voice, Touch-Tone, and URL-line are Great Additions to the user interface. Good Work :D

I was under the impression that "Carwings" is just the service that keeps track of the miles you drive and your efficiency and all that crap, while the Nissan Owner's Portal is where you can see the car's status and begin charging, turn on A/C, etc. It will be interesting to see just what goes away if I choose not to renew Carwings after 3 years.

GroundLoop said:
Most of my issues have been with the 'back end' and not so much the (Android) app itself.
Commands to start climate control get dropped.
Requests for status take a long time to time out.
Request for login is spotty and late.

Does this SMS/IVR bypass any of the Carwings web/soap, or is it just another front-end in front of that?

For $5/mo, I would hope it goes straight to the car (bypassing the horrible app/web interfaces) and does it right?

GL, this was my experience EXACTLY with the iPhone app. This doesn't happen when you are logged into the WEB Carwings interface, which is what I use to get to the car. Gary is right, you can't get out of going through Carwings, but you can use the more reliable parts of Carwings, which is what I've done.

You can give it a try, and if you don't find it much more reliable (I have not had a failure on any request since I started using it, which is not what I would say about the iPhone app), then I'll refund your money and thank you for your trouble.

garygid said:
I thought that there is no way that one can get it to work without going through carwings.

I thought that the message TO the car is just "Please Phone Carwings", and the CAR must call into the Carwings Server number to find out what Carwings wants it to do.

Thus, it is (most likely) all done by
1. Logging into Carwings
2. Triggering a Carwings Function
3. Carwings contacts the car as usual
4. Carwings sends a response, as usual.

So, to make this work, one needs a subscription to Carwings and a subscription to this service, right?

However, the front-end of Message, Voice, Touch-Tone, and URL-line are Great Additions to the user interface. Good Work :D

You're right Gary :) -- spot on, as usual. I actually describe this in the About section of the site as well.

It's been suggested, and I can't argue with a good idea, that I provide a free trial for MNL members who want to give it a test run.

If you would like a free trial to this service, just go through the registration process all the way until it asks you to click on Buy Now or Subscribe. Then, instead of doing that, send me a PM with your email address (that you signed up with), and I'll turn on the account for a free two weeks and you can see if it's something that would be useful to you!

Paypal's free trial works a little weird (I can't figure out how to make it so you can't game the free trial), so we'll do it this way ;)

Enjoy!

What are the major differences betw https://www.autoflugel.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and https://www.leafremote.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?

I think Autoflugel is still Free right?

Based on what is covered on the Autoflugel website (yes, it's free), the breakdown is:

Autoflugel currently only supports the status command.

LEAF Remote supports:

1) status
2) air on
3) air off
4) charge

via SMS text, IVR (phone in with any phone), and also direct URL commands (if you make your own utility website to control your car).

onlyjaymoo said:
Based on what is covered on the Autoflugel website (yes, it's free), the breakdown is:

Autoflugel currently only supports the status command.

LEAF Remote supports:

1) status
2) air on
3) air off
4) charge

via SMS text, IVR (phone in with any phone), and also direct URL commands (if you make your own utility website to control your car).
Not true. Autoflugel supports the Charge command, too.

Back