cabin pre heat

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It works well on 220V power as that is the only way I have used it so far. It should be called a cabin pre-conditioning as no matter what the temp inside the car is, when you request the climate control on remotely (or pre programmed) it sets the auto temp to 77 degrees. It will heat or cool to bring the cabin to 77 degrees. So far I have given it about 15 minutes to warm the cabin up and it has been great to get in a warm car right off the start. Plus I do not need to run the heat for my 5 mile work commute so that helps my miles/kWH average. I only wish you could set the temp lower for cooling when we get to that weather as I would like it a bit colder to start off with in order to use less A/C on my daily commute. It is a great feature though as the morning temps here are in the mid to upper 30's in the mornings.

Interesting, I was told by my PD that the preheat limit is 74. Even if you set the heater at a temp higher than that, it will stop once the cabin temp hits the 74 limit.

Nissan should definitely allow two diff't temps if only fixed values are allowed. For heating: a lower value, let's say 68 ? For cooling, a higher value: how about 75 ? Although 77 is a good start.

In the alternative use last setpoint if it makes sense (i.e. does not vary from the above suggested values by more than 5 degrees); otherwise too much energy goes to waste (even if it's from the wall AC). And there should still be a safeguard (energy conscious) timeout value (max 15 minutes?) or delta from outside ambient; (Reason: if cooling or heating is activated and you are delayed ... or forgetful ... why cool the car to 75F with ambient 105F (and average sun-baked 140F interior)).

garygid said:
For me, 77 ºF is WAY too hot to heat, but is close to OK for the INITIAL cooling. I usually prefer about 69 to 72 degrees while driving.

I don't think you have to worry about that except if you ride in someone's Leaf.

kolmstead said:
If you are connected to EVSE and charging has completed, does the LEAF turn the EVSE back on while preheating or cooling? I would certainly hope so!

Yes, it fires right up, and it hums right along at seemingly full throttle, at least while the heater element is active (subjective view of analog meter spinning- we'll need something like Jimmy's TED data to really know what is going on) - not sure if it would pull as much if it was cooling, or how it modulates the load as it approaches/maintains the target temp. As people have probably noticed, right now I'm less concerned about range (the car will do great for what we require in that regard) than I am about net electricity usage, since my priority is to zero that out. So while the pre-heat is a great feature, it's not so appealing to me if 15 minutes of it burns up a full kWh.

wsbca said:
kolmstead said:
If you are connected to EVSE and charging has completed, does the LEAF turn the EVSE back on while preheating or cooling? I would certainly hope so!

Yes, it fires right up, and it hums right along at seemingly full throttle, at least while the heater element is active (subjective view of analog meter spinning- we'll need something like Jimmy's TED data to really know what is going on) - not sure if it would pull as much if it was cooling, or how it modulates the load as it approaches/maintains the target temp. As people have probably noticed, right now I'm less concerned about range (the car will do great for what we require in that regard) than I am about net electricity usage, since my priority is to zero that out. So while the pre-heat is a great feature, it's not so appealing to me if 15 minutes of it burns up a full kWh.

I can tell you that while the car is waiting for a charging timer to start, a remote climate control command WILL turn on the EVSE (max current flowing, according to my TED). BUT, if you send a 'stop climate control' command, the EVSE will STOP, but it apparently interrupts the charge timer program. I had to disconnect and reconnect the EVSE to get the 'charge timer program' LED's to blink again.

Jimmydreams said:
wsbca said:
kolmstead said:

I can tell you that while the car is waiting for a charging timer to start, a remote climate control command WILL turn on the EVSE (max current flowing, according to my TED). BUT, if you send a 'stop climate control' command, the EVSE will STOP, but it apparently interrupts the charge timer program. I had to disconnect and reconnect the EVSE to get the 'charge timer program' LED's to blink again.

Jimmy, I might have missed a previous post. Did you post the kW reading from your TED for your EVSE circuit while charging the LEAF? Does your data match the 3.74 kW that my TED reported when I was charging Omkar's LEAF briefly?

Boomer23 said:
Jimmy, I might have missed a previous post. Did you post the kW reading from your TED for your EVSE circuit while charging the LEAF? Does your data match the 3.74 kW that my TED reported when I was charging Omkar's LEAF briefly?

Boomer...

I don't think I specified anywhere...but my TED reads about 3.685ish kW when the EVSE is charging my Leaf. Pretty darn close to your data. :mrgreen:

garygid said:
Preheat cancels Timer:
Sounds like a possible "unintended feature".
You should at least report the behavior to CS.

If it's the present timer charge that makes sense. If you are pre-heating it assumes you will be driving and cancels the charge to insure the lower load.

... car is waiting for a charge timer to start ...

So, apparently not charging, but will charge later, and you decide to "heat/cool" for some reason, then the FUTURE charging is cancelled?

garygid said:
... car is waiting for a charge timer to start ...

So, apparently not charging, but will charge later, and you decide to "heat/cool" for some reason, then the FUTURE charging is cancelled?
As far as I can tell, yes.

I would actually be interested in how long the cabin retains heat once you've warmed it up. Of course this will change depending on the temperature outside, but it would be helpful to get some idea how long you can drive without having to re-engage the climate control

Does the pre-heat work for only a specified amount of time, or can you adjust the time? Even better would be to say - "I want the car pre-conditioned by 7:00am", and the car figures out how long that is going to take based on current interior temps, and outside temp.

Can you also adjust where the heat is going (e.g. to the windshield defroster)?. Do front side windows also get cleared? Any chance of outside heated mirrors?

Around here, I would suspect that 15 minutes might not be long enough to clear the ice from the windshield in the morning. It can be quite frosty! Even if you scrape, it sometimes takes a v8 a good 15 minutes of running to clear the windshield - and that is pumping out serious heat.

When it's that cold - all of your breath and body moisture ends up on the windows, make it even harder to keep them clear.

ok have a question;

my carwings is not working yet. will be calling about that this morning. up until last night, i got message that i needed to register. but since last night about 8 pm it has said "telematics is busy, try again later" and that is what it said before it left for the dentist a few minutes ago.

so, wondering if that changes how pre heat works. although i said i wouldnt, i went out and turn car to "on" and turn on heat thinking it would take the power from the wall, which it did not.

is that what others are seeing?

also, i noticed that heat seens to take a while to warm up. am i doing this right or does it only work remotely?

Back