Efficiency Display: kWh from Wall or from Battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

My display tells me that I'm getting 4.0 miles per kWh.

Does that refer to the kWh of power that was fed in from the wall, or the kWh from the battery? Since there are some losses encountered in charging up, those two things are different (for example, it might take 1.1 kWh from the wall to put 1.0 kWh into the battery).

I think that is from the battery.

Here is a thread about charger efficiency http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19899 (efficiency of 3.x KW charger vs 6.x KW charger on 120V/240V)

I'd also say battery, when you think about it the car display would have no way of knowing of any losses associated with your ESVE and wiring, it could only guess which wouldn't be very accurate.

It is efficiency from the battery, as has been mentioned. When I have measured the total used to charge, it is about 20% lower efficiency. This may be too much - I have not compared it since we got a software update, that seems to have have a more accurate odometer calibration.

Yes, I agree. That's likely how it does it. It would know how much power comes through the plug, but that's too complicated.

Back