Quick Charger faster than Lv2 Charging up to what Battery %?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanLeafCamper

I was using CHAdeMO the other day and it said on the screen how much juice it gave out ... noticed it gave me more than 6kw charge all the way up to about 91% battery. Does this sound about right? It seemed to be like if no one is waiting it still is faster to quick charge up to that amount before moving on to a lv2 charger. Well, unless the Lv2 charger at that point also starts giving out less than 6kw. :? ?

NissanLeafCamper said:
I was using CHAdeMO the other day and it said on the screen how much juice it gave out ... noticed it gave me more than 6kw charge all the way up to about 91% battery.
My limited experience with CHAdeMO tells me that when the charger shows 91%, you likely are at a lower SOC. For instance, you might really only be at 85%.

The point is that it's fine to switch once you get below 6.0kW (or 3.3 kW if you have a lower-power charger). You might do that if someone is waiting on the QC machine. The SOC at which that happens is somewhat immaterial.

DCQC and L2 will both taper as the battery fills. DCQC should always charger faster than L2, at least up to 95%. I'm not positive after that.

DCQC will cause more heat.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
DCQC and L2 will both taper as the battery fills. DCQC should always charger faster than L2, at least up to 95%. I'm not positive after that.

DCQC will cause more heat.

More heat inside the battery pack? Or more heat to the charger because it is fighting to charge a semi full battery? I have been using Chademo charger 3 times everyday so far after I discovered a few free ones around here. Pretty darn helpful and saves me a lot of time. I do move at 85% if someone comes in to wait otherwise I try to stay to 92%

Will using it 3 times a day every day be an issue? I see myself at some point using it 5 times a day or 150 times a month...1800 times a year... once my life picks up

NissanLeafCamper said:
More heat inside the battery pack? Or more heat to the charger because it is fighting to charge a semi full battery? I have been using Chademo charger 3 times everyday so far after I discovered a few free ones around here. Pretty darn helpful and saves me a lot of time. I do move at 85% if someone comes in to wait otherwise I try to stay to 92%

Will using it 3 times a day every day be an issue? I see myself at some point using it 5 times a day or 150 times a month...1800 times a year... once my life picks up
Yes, more heat in the battery pack.

I don't think using the DCQC that often is bad unless the temp of the battery is getting up into the 90's to 100+. Shouldn't be an issue for most in the winter but many across the country would/should not be able to during the summer.

What are your average battery temps lately?

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Yes, more heat in the battery pack.

I don't think using the DCQC that often is bad unless the temp of the battery is getting up into the 90's to 100+. Shouldn't be an issue for most in the winter but many across the country would/should not be able to during the summer.

What are your average battery temps lately?

I see if it is just heat in the battery pack that will be gotten then that won't be an issue. Well, at least this winter I was only seeing about 5 bars more of the time. At night I saw it a times on 4 bars. I don't think I saw it ever hit 3 bars, or perhaps only once at the coldest point in winter. I will keep an eye on the pack in summer, but I live in L.A. and it doesn't really get too hot or too cold here. If it does its only for a few days then back to nice weather.

If using the DCQC only gives you heat in the pack the this shouldn't be an issue at all since I get to see the temp on the liquid crystal display :). I think that if it ever does get into the red range the car just disables QC doesn't? Really doesn't seem to be an issue even then since it just disables it.

I love the DCQC I just can't see myself using Lv2 chargers anymore. They just take so long. New leaf with longer range I think needs like 5 hrs or something to charge fully doesn't? What about once it gets a 250 mile pack? Of course eventually we will have 350 mile packs too. The roadster is able to do 400 miles with the kit upgrade, so I wouldn't be surprised that in a few years we are going to see 500 mile range EVs.

What I do wonder is when the 1,000 mile range EVs will come out :)

Hundred feet of cabling is not impossible. Consider finding a parking spot that is 1-2 minute walk from the door. Install power meter and pay whoever owns a plug. Usually there is always a place where people vacuum or something. Ask local authorities.
Show google earth position of your parking spot :p

Quick charging is never slower than L2. I think it only drops to L2 levels at ~92-95% charge. MOST of the speed with QC is up to 80%.

Back