What is a GID and How do I Measure It?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coloradoren

Sorry folks, I'm a noob here and I need more info on GIDs. I see them referred to a lot but I'm not sure exactly what they are (I saw something about Wh/80 but am not sure if that is correct).

I've had my Leaf a couple weeks and am just starting to test what I can get in terms of effective range. It seems like GIDs are a decent tool but how do I measure them? And before you flame this post, know that I did search the forums and couldn't find much in terms of clear, straightforward, definitive answers to these three simple questions.

1) What is a GID?
2) Is it a useful measure that I should be using?
3) If so, how do I measure it?

TIA.

1) What is a GID? About 80Wh in and 75Wh out of the battery.
2) Is it a useful measure that I should be using? Gives a more precise indication of the energy the battery holds. Especially useful when pushing your range to max.
3) If so, how do I measure it? LeafSpy, LeafStat, Gidmeter, LeafDD, CANary…

Be sure to use the Google box on the search page. It is much more effective.

coloradoren said:
Sorry folks, I'm a noob here and I need more info on GIDs. I see them referred to a lot but I'm not sure exactly what they are (I saw something about Wh/80 but am not sure if that is correct).

I've had my Leaf a couple weeks and am just starting to test what I can get in terms of effective range. It seems like GIDs are a decent tool but how do I measure them? And before you flame this post, know that I did search the forums and couldn't find much in terms of clear, straightforward, definitive answers to these three simple questions.

1) What is a GID?
2) Is it a useful measure that I should be using?
3) If so, how do I measure it?

TIA.

coloradoren said:
...3) If so, how do I measure it?...
Devices to Monitor Battery State and Driving Efficiency

A Gid meter is very helpful to use the bottom part of the battery with confidence. And an energy unit like the "Gid" is an excellent fuel gauge, unlike the more amorphous %SOC gauge (since the energy each percent represents will change over time).

Named in honor of Gary Giddings, who developed an early State of Charge Meter that measured a value that correlates with the amount of energy remaining in the battery.

GID: Unit of Charge reported by Gary Giddings' SOC meter. 1 Gid = 80Wh nominally, 100% Charge = 281 Gids on a new battery in a cold climate. "HV Battery Level" in Nissan vernacular. CAN bus message 0x05BC and displayed in Wh.

Stoaty said:
Named in honor of Gary Giddings, who developed an early State of Charge Meter that measured a value that correlates with the amount of energy remaining in the battery.

GID: Unit of Charge reported by Gary Giddings' SOC meter. 1 Gid = 80Wh nominally, 100% Charge = 281 Gids on a new battery in a cold climate. "HV Battery Level" in Nissan vernacular. CAN bus message 0x05BC and displayed in Wh.
THanks. Very helpful link.

A follow up question; what is the best way to go in terms of a GID meter? That link you provided is to a relatively old thread. Is there consensus as to which is the best/best value?

The GID

85b2146f68c55e9d4454983ab6a9f161f9d2837f_m.jpg

coloradoren said:
A follow up question; what is the best way to go in terms of a GID meter? That link you provided is to a relatively old thread. Is there consensus as to which is the best/best value?

The easiest to coexist with today is probably LEAF Spy broadcast via ELM327 to an Android device. Even if you don't currently have an Android device, you can be all-in for $45-$55:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
coloradoren said:

The easiest to coexist with today is probably LEAF Spy broadcast via ELM327 to an Android device. Even if you don't currently have an Android device, you can be all-in for $45-$55:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What about for iPhone? I have a Kindle but leave it at home as a kids' entertainment tablet and it would be much more convenient for me to be able to monitor from my iPhone 5.

coloradoren said:
What about for iPhone? I have a Kindle but leave it at home as a kids' entertainment tablet and it would be much more convenient for me to be able to monitor from my iPhone 5.
Under development.
iOS Leaf Spy Pro will be released to testers soon.
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18917#p407233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for development discussion and testing questions.
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19147#p412089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for installation instructions and support when it is released.

There is Leaf Stat. That is a much more limited app though.

coloradoren said:
My personal favorite is the LeafDD, if you can find one for sale. Leaf Spy would be second (some might rank it first).

Just as useful for monitoring the Leaf's battery capacity is ampere-hours (Ahr), since one uses that
measure of a battery's capacity for most all other electronic devices using batteries, e.g. laptops.

Back