Will fast charging at a Nissan dealership start costing $$$?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant

I'm wondering if there ever was any kind of statement about these always being free for Nissan Leaf owners. The reason I thought of it is because the fast charger that I sometimes use at a local Nissan dealership now has an eVgo card reader on it and the screen shows eVgo branding. It just changed this week (though the charger still worked without swiping anything).

I don't think there ever was any kind of statement, "express or implied", like that. I do think that the level 2s (220V) are offered free by most dealers, although I'm not sure that they are or even can be (by Nissan) required to do this much.

Almost all dealers in the Bay Area have had their DCQCs been 'assimilated' by eVGO, into the NRG/eVGO network, and are no longer free. Some might make theirs free to customers who bought or leased through them but not to anyone else.

I have a feeling that Nissan didn't think quick charging would be as "popular" as it is in some places, and/or didn't think enough about creating a unified, dependable and available network as they could and should have.

It's entirely up to the dealer and many have changed over to the pay model for their QCs...

Grant said:
I'm wondering if there ever was any kind of statement about these always being free for Nissan Leaf owners. The reason I thought of it is because the fast charger that I sometimes use at a local Nissan dealership now has an eVgo card reader on it and the screen shows eVgo branding. It just changed this week (though the charger still worked without swiping anything).

TomT said:
It's entirely up to the dealer and many have changed over to the pay model for their QCs...

Well that sucks! Now I'm going to have to pay $10 each time I use a fast charger or sign up for a monthly plan.

See this:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15867&hilit=maintenance&start=40#p398817" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nissan provided some of the equipment and they had to be free for one year.
After that it is up to the dealer.
My dealer L2 has been free all along and still is free.
DCQC is only eleven months old.
I hope it remains free.
If it was only electric cost I think many would stay free.
But there is maintenance cost and not sure many dealers are willing to just absorb that.

The Chattanooga Murphy Express Eaton is still dead in the water as no maintenance cost funding was set up.
Replacement control board is $3,000 :shock:
Very few businesses are willing to absorb that.

Grant said:
TomT said:

Well that sucks! Now I'm going to have to pay $10 each time I use a fast charger or sign up for a monthly plan.

Or charge at home.

Some people drive a lot beyond the range of their car during the day. They need to have access to public charging. But I agree, anyone who has an electric car really should have a means of charging at home, preferably level 2.

TimLee said:
See this:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15867&hilit=maintenance&start=40#p398817" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nissan provided some of the equipment and they had to be free for one year.
After that it is up to the dealer....

The Chattanooga Murphy Express Eaton is still dead in the water as no maintenance cost funding was set up.
Replacement control board is $3,000 :shock:
Very few businesses are willing to absorb that.
OP would be better served by looking at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15867&hilit=maintenance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Yeah... unfortunately, the DC FCs in the SF Bay Area are pretty darned unreliable, including http://nissanqc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; models. It doesn't seem like the odds of reaching 6 month w/o a breakdown are that high. So, besides the electricity costs, demand charges and maintenance (e.g. cleaning air filters to prevent overheating), there are the repair costs.
mbender said:
I don't think there ever was any kind of statement, "express or implied", like that.
Yep.

EVDRIVER said:
Grant said:
TomT said:

Or charge at home.

Uh, yeah, I charge at home. Normally, I only drive about 35 miles per day, but I sometimes need to drive 80 miles a day if I have to go to two different work locations. Considering the Leaf has less than an 80 mile range (in winter it's more like 50), the only way I can do this without stopping for 3 hours on an L2 is with the fast charger at the dealership.

Back