Sharing your chargingpoint? or not?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nedfunnell said:
It seems like a lot of people are really hesitant to stop off at shared home chargers. I don't understand why. If someone has listed their home charger, it's because they are okay with people using it. It's not like a person with a shared charger is going to be shocked and appalled that someone would dare ask. Most Plugsharers, I think, would be happy to have someone stop in and charge, and not just for an emergency. Daily use wouldn't be welcome, sure- but I think most would be happy to be a stop On someone's trip. The fact that the location is listed on a sharing site means it's not an imposition. The one time I stopped at a shared home charger (with a rented Leaf) I received a very warm welcome and the owner was pleased to spend some time chatting with another EV enthusiast.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I wouldn't hesitate to ask if I really needed it. If I went somewhere and needed charge time to get back, and all the public stations were unavailable for whatever reason, or my travel took me somewhere where there was no public station, then sure, all your points apply. It just hasn't happened yet.

If I was planning a trip in advance it might be easier. Especially if they lived next door to something cool. If it's spur of the moment, I'd have to risk the case where someone wasn't home, and the L2 is inside the garage. If they were at home, it would be fun to meet them.

It's all very situational.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
nedfunnell said:
It seems like a lot of people are really hesitant to stop off at shared home chargers. I don't understand why. If someone has listed their home charger, it's because they are okay with people using it. It's not like a person with a shared charger is going to be shocked and appalled that someone would dare ask. Most Plugsharers, I think, would be happy to have someone stop in and charge, and not just for an emergency. Daily use wouldn't be welcome, sure- but I think most would be happy to be a stop On someone's trip. The fact that the location is listed on a sharing site means it's not an imposition. The one time I stopped at a shared home charger (with a rented Leaf) I received a very warm welcome and the owner was pleased to spend some time chatting with another EV enthusiast.

I wouldn't hesitate to ask if I really needed it. If I went somewhere and needed charge time to get back, and all the public stations were unavailable for whatever reason, or my travel took me somewhere where there was no public station, then sure, all your points apply. It just hasn't happened yet.

If I was planning a trip in advance it might be easier. Especially if they lived next door to something cool. If it's spur of the moment, I'd have to risk the case where someone wasn't home, and the L2 is inside the garage. If they were at home, it would be fun to meet them.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
nedfunnell said:

That was my experience. I messaged ahead when I used a home Plugshare and the fellow was very hospitable. He even let me test drive their Ford Focus Electric and showed off their solar array and other energy efficient stuff. Maybe I'm just a lot more adventurous than most, but it seems like there's nothing to be afraid of in using shared charging spots.

Hello to you all!

I am very happy with the results so far! Thank you very much! I see you are interested too and asking good questions which do help for me!

As a small part for the research I investigate how a community as this forum involves your motives. Are there motives which cause you to share? Do you get more recognition in the EV-community here or is this sharing not important on these communities. I really hope you keep continuing, really fun to read and really helps me out!

Hope to hear from you!

SemBoersma said:
Hello to you all!

I am very happy with the results so far! Thank you very much! I see you are interested too and asking good questions which do help for me!

As a small part for the research I investigate how a community as this forum involves your motives. Are there motives which cause you to share? Do you get more recognition in the EV-community here or is this sharing not important on these communities. I really hope you keep continuing, really fun to read and really helps me out!

Hope to hear from you!

Sem,
Thanks for your efforts to study EVs and their owners. My motivation is because I like the idea of EVs- the simplicity and efficiency of the technology. I want EVs to catch on, and sharing a charge point is a way to support that. I also like the social aspect of it, that if someone were to come and charge at my house, I'd be able to meet someone else who likes EVs. Mostly, I think it will come down to an idea of being a "good neighbor", wherein one's neighbor is any other EV owner.

I didn't list on plugshare and I feel bad about it. I want to but the reason is my wife. She'd be paranoid about strangers coming to our house and since I work shift work I can't post set hours that it's available. If I wasn't home and someone used it she would either lock her self in the house and not leave or if coming home she would just go to her moms instead (near by). If I was home she'd feel a bit more comfortable but I'd have to hear about it the whole time. I've had the conversation several times when selling stuff on line and meeting people because thugs and rapists want to buy/sell furniture and used tires.

I'm in a pretty good area too which makes it worse for me. Right at the top of an escarpment which might take people planning to make it to the next public charger off guard, close to the highway and I'm walking distance from restaurants and a movie theater.

SemBoersma said:
Hello to you all!

I am Sem, a student in the Netherland and studying innovationmanagement in the transportation and energy section. I love cars, and therefore came on this forum and noticed an important question, regularly asked here. Is a charge point coming here? We need to charge on the roads for longer trips and we need to increase range. This question got into my head and as i am now writing a thesis, i am going to try to help/solve this issue!

One small remark: I need you!

As some of you might have their charge infrastructure on Plugshare, or share it in a different way, I am questioning what motives you guys have to share. And if you ever thought about it, why didn't you decide to share your chargingpoint with other members?

I would appreciate every cooperation and looking forward to your motives for sharing and of course why you are not sharing!

Many thanks in advance!

I have one installed at work and would love to share, specially as it is a commercial building. But my concerns are inconsiderate users who may hog the unit (and three employees use it regularly) and potentially being overwhelmed.

Given the reactions of some drivers to my conservative driving style and how it contradicts with their aggressive driving style, I hesitate to post much of any personal info. on the net. I trust the EV community, and would enjoy meeting new people once and a while, but I'm not often home to be a good host. And the potential for misuse of the information seems ominous to me.

As for using someone else's listed site, if you are trying to travel a fair distance, you are often keeping some rather odd hours. Public charging is often available 24hrs without inconveniencing anyone. You also don't feel obligated to chat with the owner. You can just sit and read, sleep, Wifi, text, walk, whatever you want. You're already having some of your personal choice limited by the car. If you can public charge, it gives you back some of the choice/control.

It's just unfortunate that much of the public infrastructure is located in isolated areas. Clear example of throwing federal money at something to check off boxes on someone's wishlist, without regard to reality. Wouldn't it be interesting if each charge location had a sign indicating how many tax dollars went to pay for that site? Pretty sure some of the best locations would have a $0 sign. Would also be interesting to then graph the cost of using the location against the aid it received. I think some of them either have to go zero cost for a period of time, or it's just a better use of money than network subscription fees. I wasn't as aware a few years back when many were being installed... by companies that quickly filled for bankruptcy.

Some readers of this thread might also be curious about my "How to crowdfund new charging infrastructure" thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18596 which points out that where I would be most willing to help fund a charge location is nowhere near where I can offer one my self.

Back