It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 701  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:51 pm 

Sadly here's a LEAF from the cool SF Peninsula that joins the 11 bars club.
I've been driving the LEAF since March 11, collecting 20,300 miles in the process.
I noticed the capacity loss at around 20,150 miles.

I have 18 months left in my lease and I will return the car at its end.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:53 pm 
Gold Member

Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
^^^
Yow. Well, this further validates my reason to lease, when I finally get a Leaf.
JRP3 wrote:
SF, so yeah, cooler, but I also know of another LiFePO4 conversion in Reno that's coming up on three years, not sure of the mileage, and the batteries have heating for the winter but no cooling for the summer. No reported capacity loss.

An example of what I'm talking about re: the temperature delta is at the video report at http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Li ... 95805.html from July 12, 2012. That day it was 98 F in Almaden Valley (part of San Jose I live in), 68 F in SF but 104 F in Gilroy.

Compare SF temps to what I posted about Phoenix at viewtopic.php?p=215907#p215907. At least in my area, even when it's 85-95 F in the day, once the sun goes down, it cools off quickly and will usually get down into the 60s a few hours after dark.

FWIW, I believe the temperature station/reporter for my area is actually down the street from me. That person compiles weather stats for an entire year and passes his report to the entire neighborhood.

Last edited by cwerdna on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:54 pm 

Delivery Date: 27 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 9240
sethr wrote:
It seems to me that as long as those who speak in public clearly point out that it is the lack of a TMS in the Leaf that is the problem (and that nearly all the other EVs out there have one); the public should not reach the conclusion that there is a problem with EVs, just that Nissan had poor judgment both in making the Leaf without a TMS and in not responding to the result of their error.
Well one needs to be specific. It is not a lack of TMS, but that Nissan sold the vehicles where they should have known better given there wasn't a TMS to protect the battery when it gets hot. One could argue that Nissan couldn't have anticipated this being and issue, but there were battery experts who did say something to that effect, so Nissan darn well should've DOUBLE tested for it. As it turns out, this is why I leased the car, even though I thought Nissan was a credible enough company, I was still wary of the technology.

GeekEV wrote:
Sigh. And there goes the public perception of electric cars - right out the window. I hope you guys are happy... You couldn't give Nissan a bit more time? How quickly do you expect a large multinational company to operate? :(
Sure it is unfortunate that the EV haters will latch onto this and start the anti-EV chants (again). However the Texans, Phoenicians (can I call them that?), and the SoCal types who don't live near the surf, have got plenty of evidence that there is a problem while Nissan maintains there isn't one. Instead of "hmmm looks bad, we're going to fix that", they get "it's a calibration issue not capacity loss". They sound like frickin' Pravda. That kind of response isn't going to do anybody any good and, at a minimum, is insulting to those with the capacity loss. If I was seeing what opposum et al are, I'd be pissed as hell too. Talking with reporters would probably be the least of my actions. I don't expect Nissan to solve the problem instantaneously, but I do expect them to admit to the facts and at least propose a solution, not deny that it is even happening.

Lucky types such as myself who live in more moderate climates can say we're all happy with EVs 'cause we've got plenty of capacity, free QC's all around, and the knowledge that dogs (& small children) won't melt if we leave them in the car with the windows up, but I am not going to chastise the capacity loss victims for speaking their mind when Nissan sticks a thumb in their eye.

We should ALL lament what's happening down south, b/c in the long run it is bad for ALL of us LEAFers, and support them until Nissan steps up to the plate to right the wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:52 pm 

Fabio wrote:
I've been driving the LEAF since March 11, collecting 20,300 miles in the process.

Wow. I had a feeling that Phoenix was just the canary, and the coal mine is getting a whole lot bigger. I added this to the wiki.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:20 pm 

Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 004917
opossum wrote:
GeekEV wrote:
Sigh. And there goes the public perception of electric cars - right out the window. I hope you guys are happy... You couldn't give Nissan a bit more time? How quickly do you expect a large multinational company to operate? :(

And exactly how long do I keep a $35,000 paperweight in my garage while Nissan holds to the "your car is performing normally" statement? My car almost can't get my wife to work and back. How about yours? I've made literally dozens of calls to Nissan. How about you, buddy? Our car has been to dealerships about a dozen times. Yours? Towed twice. Yours? We have written letters. You? Shipped it to Casa Grande over a month ago. Have not heard ONE word about what they did or what they plan to do. We're close to having to buy another car. So I should just take one for the team, all in the name of the public image of EVs? Riiiiight...

+1

Nissan could end this TODAY if they would just tell us what "gradual" loss of capacity is and if this issue is covered under warranty or not. Just tell us either way and we'll respond properly as adults. The silence is deafening. NISSAN is sinking the EV! Why are you blaming the victims?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:26 pm 

Delivery Date: 27 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2086
Fabio wrote:

Sorry to hear about this, Fabio, this is very sad news indeed. I was really hoping that here in NorCal we'll avoid these degradation. Does your Leaf spend most of it's time in the Peninsula, or do you often park the car in the warmer East Bay and South Bay? My car is nearing the 16k mark and it spends quite a bit of time parked under the warm Fremont sunshine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:46 pm 

Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 004938
All this news is kind of depressing...on the positive side I welcome more members to the 11 bar club...or in my case the 10 bar club.

The more of us with this issue the faster they might respond. This might be a trickle in the avalanche of complaints that will follow.

I just want out of my lease early or battery repalcement covered until the end of my lease. I do love electric though. I am not going back to gas ONLY.

Driven over 40,500 miles as of 9/13/13
30 miles east of Los Angeles - Pomona, CA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:51 pm 

Delivery Date: 20 May 2011
Leaf Number: 001024
I wish Mark Perry would sit in my passenger seat doing my 60 mile drives to and from work with no AC running because Im so concerned with my battery capacity loss or where to park a car in 110 heat longer then 5 hours in Phx or why his Nissan salesmen say charging a car to 100% is just fine..
There is so much crap that Nissan has hid from us to buy a Leaf
opossum wrote:
GeekEV wrote:

And exactly how long do I keep a $35,000 paperweight in my garage while Nissan holds to the "your car is performing normally" statement? My car almost can't get my wife to work and back. How about yours? I've made literally dozens of calls to Nissan. How about you, buddy? Our car has been to dealerships about a dozen times. Yours? Towed twice. Yours? We have written letters. You? Shipped it to Casa Grande over a month ago. Have not heard ONE word about what they did or what they plan to do. We're close to having to buy another car. So I should just take one for the team, all in the name of the public image of EVs? Riiiiight...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:50 am 

Delivery Date: 22 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 5086
This maybe to simplistic but now it seems like all Leaf owners have some ground to stand on. Ok the gauges are Off, Broken , Read erroneously. So Nissan fix them, If you purchased an ICE and the gas gauge quit working that would be warranty work. They fix this in a timely manner or everyone can claim Lemon law suit. I would not drive an ICE around and thne be wondering how much farther can I drive before I walk or I am left stranded. These individuals are not left to follow mileage and guess when the car needs to be refueled. If I hit my 2nd bar loss soon this will be my tactic and I will start the TX lemon law rule. Nissan has come right out and stated some faulty gauge ok, fix them.

PS not to be nit picky but yfhong 2nd bar loss person# 34 is only listed in that section. I was under the impression you would be listed under every section as you lose bars. Just FYI

in less than 2 yrs
4/14 now 4 bar loss 32,000 just over 2 years

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:34 am 

yoyofella wrote:
Fabio wrote:

Sorry to hear about this, Fabio, this is very sad news indeed. I was really hoping that here in NorCal we'll avoid these degradation. Does your Leaf spend most of it's time in the Peninsula, or do you often park the car in the warmer East Bay and South Bay? My car is nearing the 16k mark and it spends quite a bit of time parked under the warm Fremont sunshine.

Same deal for me, live in Belmont, work in San Jose. So the car is parked, during the day, in the San Jose heat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 701  Next