lost Carwings while plugged in with 220V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brent

Several times today I tried to pre-heat the car by starting climate control from my laptop. I got a small Bill Gates style blue
screen of death ... with a message that said it failed.

I tried to get an update on the state of charge by hitting the refresh button. That failed too.
The car was in the same place as it has been all week and the communications with Carwings had worked perfectly all week

until ... Friday night I hooked up the EVSE on 220V for the first time. The charging time was great. About 1/3 of what it used to be.

So tonight I was scratching my head about why the loss of communications. I recalled something they teach at flight school. If something goes wrong, go back and undo the last thing you did. So I went to the garage and unplugged the charger, went back inside
and Eureka. Communications. Showed the state of charge correctly ( 83%) and that the charger was unplugged. Hmmmm. Plug it back in, go inside, try again, communications failed. Back outside ... 3 lights on the dash, no charging. Unplug, back inside, try again,
communications successful.

Anyone else seen this ? Suggestions ?

Several more tests

Went back out and put the 120 V pigtail on the upgraded EVSE, plugged it in. No comm

Went back out and replaced the upgradad EVSE with the original EVSE 120 V, plugged in, no comm.

Went back out, unplugged the J connector from the car, but left the EVSE plugged in to 120 with LED on still no comm

Went back out, unplugged the 120V EVSE No comm

So finally open the door and back the car out ... Bingo ET called home.

So what changed. Sunspots .??? It is real cold, only 6 degrees, but warmer in the garage.

The garage is only wood, no steel to shield anything. ( other than the door tracks )

Hmmmm ??????

Edit ... not so much cheering.
Plugged in the 220V while the car remained out side .. no comm
Tried to start the climate control ... no go.

Give up, put the car back in the garage, connect the original 110 v EVSE
Hit refresh one last time, adn it connects, reports plugged in on the trickle charge and charging

A real head scratcher.

If you're still interested in tracking this down ... suggestion: wait 5 minutes between each action. The firmware may have to "settle" between machine state changes. (So, for example, after plugging back in, wait five minutes before trying an update.)

Thanks for the tip.

In medical terms, when they don't know what they're dealing with, I think they call it "idiopathic"

So my idiopathic behaviour seemed to go away all by itself after a couple days. I can log on and start the climate control,
and re-start charging pretty much at will now.

Back