Driver seat noise on corners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scronce

I've started to notice a clicking sound from my seat when I go around a sharp corner. Has anyone else experienced this?

My normal commute takes my up and down a road with many S curves. A few weeks ago I noticed my seat making a clicking sound as as I go around these curves (35-45 mph). It's a similar sound you hear when you move your seat backward and forward. I don't feel any movement in the seat and I can't reproduce it when the car is stationary and I shift in mine seat.

I've tried a few different seat positions (forward and back) and it still happens. I've tried resting my hand on the metal seat position handle as I go around the corners and I can feel the click vibration in the seat but can't perceive any movement in the seat.

Anyone have any ideas?

Just have it checked by the dealer.

Had a smiliar issue on my VW Golf's passenger seat. They found that the seat's frame was bent and they replaced it under warranty.

In mine it's more like a clunk. Very noticeable. I was planning to wait for my first service at 7500 miles to have my PD address it. Don't think its a safety issue yet. Also have an unexplained rattle from the nav system console.

I've also noticed an occasional click when shifting weight side to side. Doesn't happen too often.

gascant said:
In mine it's more like a clunk. Very noticeable. I was planning to wait for my first service at 7500 miles to have my PD address it. Don't think its a safety issue yet. Also have an unexplained rattle from the nav system console.
Check if you put something in the sunglasses holder by the rear-view mirror; anything rattling around up there sounds as though it's coming from the nav system console. (I solved this problem by putting the sunglasses in a case; the case is large enough that it doesn't rattle around in the holder, et voila, sound stopped.)

Packet said:
gascant said:
Also have an unexplained rattle from the nav system console.
Check if you put something in the sunglasses holder by the rear-view mirror; anything rattling around up there sounds as though it's coming from the nav system console. (I solved this problem by putting the sunglasses in a case; the case is large enough that it doesn't rattle around in the holder, et voila, sound stopped.)
I'm usually wearing my sunglasses when I hear the rattle :lol:
So, the sunglass holder is empty. I thought it was the snaps on my brief case but it seems to be there even when I fly "solo"

After 3 failed attempts by Serramonte Nissan, I fixed it my self. Here's the story

Attempt 1 - Nov 5
I brought my LEAF in for it's 6 months service and asked them to look at the seat. When I got to my appointment (on a Saturday) they told me I'd have to bring it back in when the EV Tech was on duty. Wish they had tome me that when I made the appointment online with details instructions on the seat.

Attempt 2 - Nov 14
Left it overnight with EV tech. At pickup I was told he check and tighten the seat. The paper work said...
TEST DROVE, COULDN VERIFY..INSPECT SEAT (OK)
On the drive home it clicked a dozen times. Not fixed.

Attempt 3 - Nov 16 to Nov 22
Showed the service advisor how to reproduce (sit in drivers seat, place hand over seat edge on both side of legs, pull and rock back and forth. You'll see 1/4 to 1/2 " flex and click. The service rep called the EV Tech but the guy would not come out to look at it. I told them to keep it until they fixed it this time. When I picked it up 6 days latter they said they had replaced the rails and it should be fine now. What the tech actually did was listed on the paperwork...
5674 CONFIRMED, CALLED BILL GROSSI. HE RECOMMENDS TO REPLACE DRIVER'S SIDE SEAT RAIL ASSEMBLY
1 87450-3NA0A ADJUSTER A
Looks like the tech was supposed to replace the rail but the part number is for the seat adjuster. The seat adjuster knob still had it's rubber shipping protector on it. Unfortunately that did not fix problem. It was a little less noticeable but still had the click 6-7 times on the drive home.

My diagnoses and fix:
At this point I had decided not to try and bring it back to Serramonte Nissan. There EV tech is obviously brain dead. Today I looked up the seat removal section in the service manual (SE-15). Looked pretty straight forward. It had to be related the metal plate attached to the rails. It's either defective or one of the 4 bolts is loose. Sure enough, the left front bolt was loose. I tightened it down, no more play in the seat, no clicking around corners. It's still possible that there is a defect and the bolt will come loose again but wow... they really should have found this.

Not sure how many of you use Serramonte Nissan. This was my first experience with them. I think I need to find a dealer with a better EV tech. Anyone know if Boardwalk Nissan in Redwood City is any better?

Got a pic of the plate that needs tightening? I'm getting a bit of a click as well (usually noticed turning left) and it's probably the same thing...

I had mine in for 7500 mile service about a month ago and had them write up the problem. They called back later that day saying they couldn't find/verify the noise. I picked up the car and it mysteriously stopped making it and has been fine since. I suspect they did "whatever" but wanted to avoid any liability for it. I'll be taking out the seat sometime in the next month when I do the seat heater installation so I'll check it then.

I have a 2012 Nissan LEAF and my driver seat is clicking, too.

I think, after reading the posts here, I'm in for some bolt-tightening action. :)

Another thing I noticed about the seats is that the lower back is no longer supported.
I'm afraid that the recycled material has given in a bit. I'm close to my 7,500 miles checkup,
so, I'll mention that when I bring it in.

--Kai

Undid the seat and tightened every bolt in sight... still get creaks.. more to do with the backrest than the seat, I guess I'll have another look

scronce said:
After 3 failed attempts by Serramonte Nissan, I fixed it my self. Here's the story
That's pretty sad, really.
scronce said:
Attempt 1 - Nov 5
I brought my LEAF in for it's 6 months service and asked them to look at the seat. When I got to my appointment (on a Saturday) they told me I'd have to bring it back in when the EV Tech was on duty. Wish they had tome me that when I made the appointment online with details instructions on the seat.
It's also pretty sad that Nissan feels you need an EV tech to work on a rattle in the seat in a LEAF. Truly, it sounds like what you really needed was a SEAT tech. :roll:

Mine did it for a while and neither I not Nissan could find a fix... It finally went away for good after about a year.

carphen said:
Undid the seat and tightened every bolt in sight... still get creaks.. more to do with the backrest than the seat, I guess I'll have another look

Yeah my seat does the same thing.

Also the front brake pads go "dink!" the first time I apply them after changing directions. But I guess that's for another thread.

One of these days I'll get under there and see if there are any loose bolts in the seat.

turbo2ltr said:
Also the front brake pads go "dink!" the first time I apply them after changing directions. But I guess that's for another thread.
Just the pads shifting a bit in the calipers - pretty normal.

turbo2ltr said:
One of these days I'll get under there and see if there are any loose bolts in the seat.
Mine still does it a bit even after having the dealer look at it twice...

drees said:
turbo2ltr said:
Just the pads shifting a bit in the calipers - pretty normal.

Yep, I'd call mine more of a clunk. My tech. told me its completely normal. After so long the brake pad retaining clips start to have more play so the sound is the pad shifting from one side of the caliper to the other. He offered to replace them under warranty but said it'll come back again.

Not something I've ever experienced in another car, although its probably common just not audible over the engine?

Back