What is this fluid leaking?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloudstrife

Hi all

I've noticed what appears to be fluid leaking from my electric 2020 leaf, it's happened before but a couple of weeks ago & I've only just noticed it again.

I can't tell if it's just dirty water as it's dripping from parts of the car (wheel arches, corners of the car etc) you'd expect after driving through rain, except I've not driven through any rain, although there was water on the road.

I've taken a picture of the fluid and how it's dripped on the ground which is on a slight slope.

I didn't have either the heat or a/c during my journey, although I had the car stationary and turned on for four hours prior.

To note, my car doesn't heat at the moment (another issue).

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
The nooks and crannies underneath a car fill up with dirt when you drive on dry roads. In the winter you also get salt and different types of deicing agents, as suggested above. When you subsequently drive on wet roads you add oil and water from the road to the mix, often producing disgusting black slime. If it bothers you, spray off the undercarriage, wheel wells, etc. of your car more often to keep them clean(ish). As a bonus, you'll be prolonging the life of your Leaf.

Welcome!

As mentioned, it looks like build-up from driving wet roads. I see it often around here after it snows and it all melts creating wet/dirty roads.

It could also be that you drove over a specific area and caught a lot of the wet debris from that area, creating a build-up under your car.

Hi all, many thanks for your responses. I'm in the UK and it's been icy in the nights for approximately a week or so with standing water when it melts in the morning.

It felt more like water than oil so as mentioned it's probably the deicing agents used on the road.

I gave the underside a really good clean as advised, now the water mostly runs clear.

Thanks again

Back