Windshield Condensation On The Inside

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafabout

This morning it's about 47 degrees and we experienced some heavy rain last night. When I sat inside my 2013 S Leaf I noticed some accumulated condensation on the lower inside of my windshield. I am at a loss to understand what would cause this. I have never seen this before except in a car I owned years ago that had to have its windshield taken out and re-glued in.
Has anyone had this happen to their Leaf? Is it anything I should be concerned about?

The carpets and cloth interior can absorb moisture (especially if you track snow into the car) then it ends up condensing on the windows. The easiest way to combat it is to get the inside of the car toasty warm, which allows the moisture to evaporate into the air, then open all the windows for a minute while driving to flush out the moisture laden air.

You might also try closing the vents when parked if you really think the rain is the culprit.

Thank you for your suggestion. I've had the car about a year and never experienced this before. I thought I would turn the inside air recycle button on. From what I've read in the Owner's Manual this recirculates the interior air. If this shuts the vents from allowing outside air in, then maybe this will keep the cool night air out.
It surprised me this morning when I got in behind the wheel and turned the wipers on to get rid of that misty, vapor, as if someone had been breathing hard. It was located on the bottom portion of the windshield. Since it was early morning and the car hadn't been driven since the day before, I turned the wipers on expecting the foggy vapor to be wiped away. When it didn't wipe away, I took my fingers and wiped through the vapor discovering that it was on the inside.
Hopefully, it won't replicate itself in the colder weather, which is coming soon. I don't want a problem of the mist or condensation freezing on the inside of my windshield.
Again, thank you for your suggestion. I will check and make sure my carpet is dry.

There's a thread from back in 2011-2012 in the Pacific Northwest. Huge problem in Seattle area when using pre-heat on the timer. The vents close and the car recirculates the air while warming it. Warm air holds more moisture (humidity) than cold air, which then condenses on the inside of the windows (since it's colder outside). Squeegee, towels, desiccants, long pre-heat times, and opening the window/door to let out the warm humid air are only some of the methods attempted with moderate success.

Yes, thanks. I haven't had this happen to me before. I checked and while the mats were dry by the time I looked them over, they were probably wet last night due to some much needed rain we finally got.
I was going to keep the interior circulation button on in hopes of keeping the vent that allows outdoor air in shut. After thinking about it more, I decided that it probably wouldn't make much difference.
It might be that the conditions that allowed this to happen won't happen again, or at least, not for a long, long time.

Back